Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
A
I just bought an original Sinclair HC globe and it still has the lenses attached with the original screws which are stuck. Two of the little glass stubs where the screw holes are, are chipped and I want to avoid damaging the body any further, so I am curious as to how I should proceed. Thanks in advance.

Mark

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Mark... WOW this is hard and nerve wrecking. I have done a couple and the best way i found is to tape off around the outside of the screws and i used a small grinder and cut the heads off. Don't do like i did and grab the piece on the inside right after you cut if off. OUCH! Anyone have any better ideas?

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
D
D
I agree with jarvis, use a dremel they have really small and narrow cutting wheels, use it to lightly grind the head off the screw, tape the inside part of the screw to the globe as well to prevent it from falling and possibly chipping the the opposite lens. good luck

just my two cents!
TRAVIS
A
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
A
Thanks guys, the dremel did the job just fine. Now on to removing the light mildew stains and such.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Well, this is a touchy one here... I used soft scrub with bleach and a Scotch brite pad. Get the lens and pad wet then add the soft scrub and lightly wipe. I have done about 20 sets of lenses like this and haven't had any problems with it. I was told to do it this way buy a collector that's been doing it for years. Be careful not to scrub to hard though.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I've never had a globe that had mildew stains, so I don't know what would remove them.
Be VERY CAREFUL if you use Soft Scrub and a Scotch Brite pad!!!!!!!!!! That sounds pretty abrasive to be using on paint. They shouldn't hurt the body though. I use a spray cleaner like Fantastic or Simple Green and a soft cloth on the painted side of my lenses.
Bob

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
M
M
bob is right, for get the scotch pad and just use the soft scrub product. with a soft cloth.be gental. [wow body shops use scotch pad's] .i would'nt use a scotch pad on my globes. good luck. max

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You may want to try an SOS pad. I have used them in the past to clean mildew stains off lenses and they work fine. Like the others said, just don't rub to hard. Have clean water handy and check your progress often. Since over 99% of all known lenses are fired on, then this will not hurt them. Good luck!!!!!!!!

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Clean steel wool is the same as an sos pad Without the abrasives (grinding paste). They use it on car bumper takes rust off, no scratching. SOS with the grinding paste = scratches on chrome. Want to test it use steel wool + water on a bumper.

Good luck, .........................dodogas

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
that makes sent's dodogas,always good to test 1st. better to be safe than sorry. cheese

[This message has been edited by big cheese (edited 02-13-2004).]

A
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
A
Thanks for all the tips. Softscrub and a rag got most of it. Now I just need to get new screws and I'm set. Thanks guys.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Mark, I should have said what color of scotch brite pad to use. I use the blue which is about as easy as a SOS pad. I just don't like SOS unless they are stainless steel. I have other colors but use only blue on lense and this is the same method I use on porcelain signs. The one thing to remember is not to rub to hard! I was told this by a collector that has many, many globes and it works. I had my doubts, you just have to have the gonads big enough to try it. LOL

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Mark, i think i have a set of screws in my desk drawer....i will look and let you know

Mark Sconyers....Memories Restored

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved