Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#200826 Sat Aug 28 2010 02:41 PM
F
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
F
I love collecting automobile memorabilia and decorating my garage with it. I've always wanted an old gas pump and never see any for sale up here in North Dakota so when the opportunity presented itself I jumped in head first. Now... struck with a tiny little bit of buyers remorse, although I still love it, I'm seeking out some expert opinions. I haven’t been able to find much info on the pump I bought. It’s the Wayne 519. I paid $675. It’s missing the buttons but the guy had a plate made to cover that section up. I don’t imagine I would ever find those? There’s no cylinder and it’s pretty rusty. I plan to restore it myself, I enjoy doing those types of projects and plan to keep it regardless. Just wondering if I got burned too badly. The same guy also has this 70c model. He’s asking $600 for this one and I figure two is better than one, haha, so am considering buying this one too. It’s been restored before but in need of a redo and had fallen over and most of the glass is broke and the back side is a little banged up. The inside is gutted and I believe the red crown signs are reproductions. I would really appreciate any input from you more experienced enthusiasts.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome to the site. I'm not much of a pump guy, knowledge wise so I'm no help.

Even though I can't help you, you've come to the right place to get info.

We also have a few members from N.D., so I'm sure they will be contacting you shortly.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
welcome to oldgas!!since you already have the 519,guess its kinda too late,but dont think you did too bad on it since it was something you like.when i was real new at this i would have bought it in a heartbeat.now..(and i am still by no means an expert)now...maybe a little less.the 70 i would pass on for that price.70s are a great pump,look good done up,but thats kinda high and especially in that condition.maybe 300-400??both are not quite complete,but dont need a whole lot to make nice pumps.

Last edited by oldnfuelish; Sat Aug 28 2010 03:00 PM.

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I can help you with some of the parts. Contact Kevin Frith from Devils Lake (if he doesn't contact you first).
Ron

Ron Scobie
http://www.gaspump.com or
rscobie(TheAtSymbol)gaspump.com
Phone - Six five one-653-6503
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Hi, you don't show where you are, but, I am in Minot. I have some extra pumps and misc items I would sell if you are interested.
Greg

B
B
In my opinion you did well.
If you feel like you paid too much, so what.
Make it up on the next ten pumps you buy.
You will get great deals and not as great deals. You will find some steals.

In the big picture it really doesn't matter as long as you enjoy it.

Big Al
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
First off, welcome to Old Gas!! You'll find an awful lot of information on this forum and you'll find that we really love pictures, so learn how to post pictures right away! Theres several of us collectors here in North Dakota and we're all willing to help each other out when we can! Now on to your pumps!
The Wayne 519 was priced OK, but man is that a tuffy to restore if its your first pump! Theres no superstructure inside that pump, as the skins are very heavy and they hold the pump up. Theres 3 rods inside to adjust the distance from the base to the center section, but the whole assembly is very wobbly(to say the least) when you get it apart! Worst part about that pump is that its almost impossible to get the mechanism inside to work like its supposed to, so you end up with some levers and cranks that don't do anything. It was a mechanics nightmare and therefore, most of them are missing more than a few parts!
The Wayne 70 is priced too high for whats there. Theres plenty of them around and you should be able to get a really nice one in the 4 to $500 range! That one looks twisted or something? Should probably be used for parts.
Take your time and do some shopping, ask a lot of questions, and above all, don't be in a hurry. Its kind of a buyers market for gas pumps right now and they're really pretty plentiful in these parts!
Not sure where you're at but you should take the time to visit 2 or 3 of us and see what we're doing and hear as to what is available. I'm in Devils Lake and Gregs in Minot and there are others in Bismarck, Dickinson, Grand Forks, Valley City area and pretty much all over! Give me a call and we'll visit about gas pumps! (701-662-4386)
On the 519 again---I have one that I'm planning on turning into a parts pump and mine was complete. Maybe you could use it to make a complete one out of yours!
Heres a before and after pic of the first pump that I ever did and it was found locally!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Before you get into buying pumps, you should get as much information about pumps as possible. My suggestion (naturally) is to start by buying a copy of my Gas Pump Identifiation book. Over 1900 gas pumps illustrated with values.

Also every time you find a pump and need information about it, check out my website: www.petrocollect.com everything even down to the correct nozzle is listed there.

You can go directly to the 519 literature at:
http://www.petrolianacollectibles.com/wayne%20519.htm

The 70 literature at:
http://www.petrolianacollectibles.com/wayne%2070-2.htm

Information about getting a autographed copy of my book is at:
www.petrocollect.com

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Welcome and great buys.

I have Jack's book, and I bought it before I found this website. It helps me out tremedously.

Mike

Mike
C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
I am also new to the site. The guys on here help me out alot with valueing my finds. Welcome!

Nick

Thanks,
Nick

Always looking for Ashland oil Items!
F
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
F
Wow! Thank you all. What a warm welcome and great forum. I already feel at home. Appreciate all the knowledge and input. Great advice, I feel better already! :o) I will definitely be contacting some of you for parts and Jack for a book. Now that I got my feet wet I plan to be in this for the long haul. K W, awesome. I hope mine looks half as good. I'll be calling you and would love to actually visit some of you and see what your working on. I'm going to pass on the 70 and make the most out of the 519. Sounds like I've got my work cut out for me. I knew I was going about this the wrong way when I bought it but was just one of those things, you know? Ha! It was so perdy....haha
Thanks again. Will be in touch...

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Hi and Welcome,

Here is another idea you might consider.If you have a place for it,use the 519 for yard art.All you need is a pop cylinder,a pop globe and a couple of pop signs and IMO it's good to go.As Kevin pointed out,there are easier pumps to restore for your first one.

As far as price goes,you are about right.I've got a Southwest in about the same condition priced at $700.If it doesn't sell I will use it as yard art as described above except that I'll just use a hail sceeen instead of a cylinder.

By the way,Iam in no way trying to discourage you from restoring the 519.Do as you wish!!That's one of the great things about this hobby;so many interesting alternatives.

F
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
F
Thanks Old Iron, I'm consider that and at least hold off until next spring and maybe look for something a little easier for the first one.

F
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
F
Hi Bob, thanks

F
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
F
Thanks oldnfuelish, appreciate it!

F
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
F
Thanks Ron, I'm going to contact Kevin.

F
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
F
Hi Greg. I'm in Bismarck. I'll try and figure out how to change that and would be interested in another pump. thanks

F
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
F
Good point Big Al, thanks

F
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
F
Thanks Keith. Awesome pump. Appreciate all the info and will give you a call to talk pumps and for some parts!

Last edited by FLHRci01; Sun Aug 29 2010 10:30 AM.
F
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
F
I oredered a book this morning Jack. Can't wait to get it. Thanks!

F
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
F
Thanks Mike!

F
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
F
Thanks Nick!

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Probably the most "Thank You's" I have ever seen on this site. It's nice to know our posts are being read.

I once had a guy cancel his order for my book because his pump was not shown in the book. I told him "the book was for use before you buy a pump. If you want to look at your pump go out in the garage and look at it."

Knowledge is key for any collectible and if you decide to expand away from pumps there are some good books on globes, oil cans and signs, and some on just misc. petroleum items. For instance, before you pay $100 too much for a globe, get the books with the values, they will pay for them selves.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Welcome. Please note that there is no 12 step program for petroliana collectors--lol.

A straight and pretty much complete Wayne 70 for $600? Give me a MapQuest to the place!!! Any pump sheetmetal that is still straight will saaaaaaaaave you so much time. I learned the hard way trying to make bad sheetmetal into good ones not to metion the aggravation. If a propective purchase is not missing any major components, it is a great acquisition candidate. Post pics when you get yours done! Dave Folck

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved