Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I believe S.L. was Dick's abbreviation for station lighter. But then again, I've been wrong before! ;-)

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
K
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
K
I'm thinkin the 70 is non add glass and the 71 has the add glass?? I know the 80 is non add glass and the 81 has add glass. Kent.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have a model 70. It has a narrow base and I have seen some with a wider base. Is that a 81?

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Guess I should replace my original ID plate with a repo because mine from the factory is wrong !

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Okay - here is my understanding of the Erie numbering system for this particular pump series.

'Even' Model Numbers: i.e. '70', '80', etc. - non ad glass pumps.

'Odd' Model Numbers: i.e. '71', '81', etc. - Ad Glass pumps.

The pumps came in Clockface and Computer versions. Clockface pumps had the glass attached to the inside of the doors. The glass was cast and very thick, and it was domed outward to clear the clockface hands.

Computer versions came with two different faceplate designs. But in both versions, the glass attached behind the porcelain faceplates and was held in place by a thin aluminum 'tray' that positioned the glass in the correct orientation. Working from outside to inside, you had the faceplate, glass, then the aluminum plate - all held in place with the 4 faceplate mounting bolts.

In addition, you could order 'upgrades' to all the pumps. These consisted of Station Lighter attachments in lieu of a globe, globe mounts or glass tops.

The globe mounts sat down inside the sheet metal tops to prevent anyone from loosing the retaining bolts and making off with the globe(s). The height of the mounting ring was adjustable up-and-down to facilitate the type of globe you were using.

You saw a lot of these pumps at Shell stations. The adjustable mounting rings allowed you to recess the bottom of the clamshell globes below the top of the pump itself.

The most 'rare' versions would have to be the Station Lighter or Glass Top versions. I have yet to see a complete Station Lighter assembly - just various pieces. And the Glass Top pumps had a difficult time surviving since the tops were held in place with gravity. When the pumps were taken out of service - they were unbolted and put on a two wheel cart for removal. As soon as the pump was tilted enough - the glass tops fell off and shattered. That is one reason why they are so rare.

And . . . I have see two different bases on these pumps. Westcoast pumps seem to feature a cast base that has a 'flare' to the bottom. Midwest pumps seem to have a welded angle-iron base (like Matt has).

For some production years you could also order machined letters that attached to the RH and LH sides of the sheet metal tops that would spell out the name of the gas station/brand.

I hope this helps everyone undestand these unique 'Art Deco' pumps. They are one of my favorite pump designs.

Later . . .

Jim

T-way #132365 Sat Feb 21 2009 01:38 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Guess I'll change the Fenders to keep peace.

T-way #132366 Sat Feb 21 2009 01:40 PM
P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
I've restored two clockface versions of this pump and the glass doesn't attach to the inside of the door (at least not on the ones I did). They attached to the faceplate itself. The big, cast glass had four "dogs" at each corner that were screwed-down to the face plates. Most of those cast glasses broke-off at the dogs and are impossible to find if you don't have them.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
thanks t way for your info on this pump it makes me wish it would warm outside so i could start on mine. it is a very neet pump. im going to do mine in a standard white crown version

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Petropumps:

Thanks for the clarification. I have never had one of the Clockface versions and was going by what I (thought) I had been told.

I do have an original flyer from Erie on these pumps somewhere around here. I'll see if I can find it tomorrow.

Later . . .

Jim

T-way #132392 Sat Feb 21 2009 07:22 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I could use a good totalizer face with the pinstriping if anybody has one. Brady

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I need the thin pinstrip metal for the top of the one I just got, anyone know where to get these?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T-way makes 'em

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hey gang -

Here is one page from the brochure I was telling you about.

(Click on Photo for a larger Image thru ImageShack)

Notice that the pump is labeled as a '70' on the page and it features the 'optional' glass top and the 'standard' cut-out metal lettering on the top sides.

The brochure states:
Quote:
Your brand name in cut out brass letters mounted on metal strips on the crown of the pump on each side. Stand out sharply against the globe and show up beautifully at night. Standard when ordered with Figure 70 pumps. These names are not fired into the glass nor any part of the globe.

The following pump information was taken from the 2nd Edition of 'An Illustrated Guide to Gas Pumps' Copyright, 2008 John H. Sim.

Figure 70 and 71 pumps were produced in 1936 and are computer pumps.
Figure 80 and 81 pumps were produced in 1936 and are non-computing (Clockface) pumps.
Figure 90 and 91 pumps were produced in 1938 and were computer pumps.
Figure 90G and 91G pumps were produced in 1938 and were non-computing (Cash Recorder) pumps.

Later . . .

Jim

56 - Check the web site on the 'Stainless' page. The correct SS Trim for these pumps is at the bottom of the page.

s932 #200974 Sun Aug 29 2010 06:44 PM
O
O
Hello all, I just bought a model 71. I'm located in SC and the pump has the flaired base. I may be able to buy a 80 clockface and wonder if it is possible to locate the faces, arms and glass anywhere. If not..is the mechanism the same as other clocks, where another pump part would work. I also ask if anyone should buy a new stainless kit.. maybe might have a couple of originals they could sell me. I'm only missing a couple.

also..the vertical ribbons on the doors and sides, did any come with stainless covers.Thanks, Bob

Thanks...Poppy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Poppy:

I can't help you with you questions about the Clockface interchangability. I do know the domed glass covers for the clockface pumps are not reproduced and extremely hard to find (I've never seen one for sale that was not atached to a pump!).

As for original Stainless strips - I have some originals, so when you are ready, give me a shout and we'll work out a price.

-----------------------

BTW - I also have a pair of spinners that have been chromed. I would like to trade them for a nice pair of original ready-to-paint spinners. Even up, I'll pay shipping to you, you pay shipping to me.

This offer is available to anyone. First come - first served!

Later . . .

Jim

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved