Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#202485 Thu Sep 09 2010 02:03 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Friend of mine that casually knows gas related memorabilia from being around me found what he thought was a NOS one piece glass regular SHELL globe. It was in the original box at a small antique store west of me about 3 weeks ago. They were asking $600. He was heading out for a "long anniv. weekend" with his wife. Long story short, he forgot to tell me (guess I would too with what he was doing) till late last night. I sent a retired SHELL jobber friend 15 miles over to the shop this morning to verify what it really was and possible purchase. I had called at 8am, it was still available, (they would not hold it), called Gus and he was already headed that way. So, Gus called me about 7 hours ago holding the globe, said it was dirty but real and in awesome shape and was in the original box. One problem, it was sold at 8:15 am for $300 to a "picker" from the Portillo Hot Dog chain. The picker went to breakfast after paying for the globe, and was coming back as the owner was mulling some offers on other non-petro items. While waiting, Gus asked the store owner why he came down so much on the price and how long had he had it? Store owner said no one showed any interest in it for a month and I wanted my money back. Gus waited, picker came back and of course would not sell it. The new globe owner said " I am to deliver this to that college town up the road in DeKalb, Illinois to a Portillos Hot Dog establishment". (Where do I live - just guess, talk about adding insult to injury). He added, I pick for Portillos Corporate part time in retirement. Portillos are large restaurants with memoribilia wall to wall as are their other estabishments in and around the Chicago area.
Don't know if I can go in there again although their dogs, italian beef, chocolate cake and malts are to die for! Later on, Gus and I laughed in my office here at the University, had take out CHINESE for lunch and chalked the experience up to another "hunt" for automobiles and gas memoribilia gone wrong! Oh and Gus left my card for another time!! HAGD, Rob

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
well rob,at least you have the chance to go and see it sometime!!LOL good story,and happens to us all!!mybe next time!

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Talk to the actual owner of the franchised store,not the picker.I know from experience,they'll sell anything if the price is right.
They are here to make money...period,and that means everything is for sale.They don't care about authenticity as much as we do.They just want to make their diner "Look" like it's stuck in the past.I bought an item from them for a good dollar,as well as replaced it with a reproduction copy to display.
Dick started his 1st store in a 2 wheeled hut down the street from me here,which is also the same town I grew up in.As we all grew,we always frequented that same restaraunt,as well as his developing franchises around us here.He's got more of our family money then we do.Portillos corporate office is just down the street from me today.Let me know if calling them would help.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved