Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
avio #202706 Fri Sep 10 2010 10:27 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: avio
Why do these moron's even bother to put things on Ebay when they do this, and then pull it with one day left! It's getting to the point when something good shows up on Ebay you better start throwing offers at them or its going to disappear anyway!

I wouldn't call them Morons, where else can you get World Wide advertising for an item @ less than $10 ?

$2,000+ in hand is better than Hoping to get $2,500.

Dick Bennett #202707 Fri Sep 10 2010 10:43 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
You can call them what you want but 2000 compared to 2500, I would say MORON!!

avio #202709 Fri Sep 10 2010 10:53 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
That's how Las Vegas was built, Morons HOPING they will hit it Big, so they keep spending & Hoping !

Dick Bennett #202728 Sat Sep 11 2010 06:37 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Final ebay fees would have been $50 which ebay lost. How long will ebay be around if everyone started pulling there auctions? To list the item was free!

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Jarvis #202730 Sat Sep 11 2010 07:01 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
He's was guaranteed 2,500.00 because that was my snipe bid. It sucks that sellers pull stuff after listing it, and I personally think evilbay should have a zero tolerance policy for it but until they do us as buyer have to join the crowd and just throw an offer out there, and see if they bite. I know i'll be doing it from now on.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Like I said before, The SAME people who complain about ebay are the SAME people who make it what it is.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
KZ1000 #202734 Sat Sep 11 2010 07:25 AM
H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
Try listing one of your very rare and prized items that you are going to sell on ebay and see what it is like to resist some of the offers that come your way via emails or phone calls. The offers can be very tempting and it takes some restraint to allow the auction to take it's due course. Many times my $$$ offers have way exceeded what the item actually sold for. Hard for me to blame a seller when I know the stress that goes on behind the scenes to carry the auction to the very end. Sellers can have the best of intentions but there are some very good closers that might be able to sway you to end the auction early. I know that most serious bidding takes place in the final few seconds but for the seller that can be a very long time to wait.

Mike Hudson
303-916-3907
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I hardly think I could blame the seller, I have pulled listings off eBay in past and will continue to do it. Why should I give them a commission for selling something when I could pocket that profit. I have also purchased items off eBay many times in the past, no different that beating someone to it at a swap meet.

Remember, they didn’t make one of ANYTHING, just means you might have to look a little harder, and that my favorite part of this hobby, the hunt…. My 2 cents.

gmstuff #202744 Sat Sep 11 2010 08:52 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
going off gmstuffs thinking how long would ebay be in business if everyone did that?
Don't get me wrong i hate paying ebay fees like everyone else and i too have had auctions ended for me. I had it done to me many times so now every time someone lists an item i really want i tell them not to end the item without me have a crack at buying it first.

It's not about buying it cheap it ripping some seller off. It's finding something you have never seen before and thinking it's shouldn't sell for more than $2500 but what if one other guy has the same thought? It's a gamble... it could go for less or it could go for more.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Jarvis #202747 Sat Sep 11 2010 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
When it is in your possession you can ask or do what you want with it. I don't think this is going to effect the price of ebay stock.

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
"Why should I give them a commission for selling something when I could pocket that profit."

Lets see, they bring in potential "foot traffic" to look at your items. In fact so much so, that you, yourself in decades couldn't match the numbers that browse ebay each day.

Reading statements like that I wonder, does one steal a neighbor's newspaper? "Why subscribe when I can "borrow" my neighbor's"? Hell, why pay for power or cable/satellite service, I can just "piggyback" off of my neighbor? Let him pay the bill.

Before one starts "The I'm not stealing anything". Think about it, you "steal" Ebay's time and resources. You "steal" revenue from the company, their employees and from their stockholders. You "steal" money from other sellers who have to pay higher fees because ebay is losing revenue.

Now some might try and rationalize this "theft" by saying, I'm only one person and I sell only a few items. True, you are one seller...... Now multiply that one seller, by the hundreds of thousands(millions) of sellers. How many of them do the same thing? Lets say ebay has 1 million sellers in a typical day and 3% of those pull their listings, while selling the item, without paying ebay their share. Hell lets drop that to 1%. Still one hell of a lot of money, just was stolen from ebay, EACH DAY. Yes, it is theft, you can try to wrap it up in "pretty paper and tie a colorful bow on it", but it is still theft.

Also one last thought for the membership, if someone here says they "get over" on ebay and are proud of it. When they have an item up for sale here are you going to wonder "They have no problem screwing over ebay, why won't they screw me over the same way"? "I offered "X amount", what happens if someone offers them $ more"? Will they honor my bid because it was first or will they decide they can "get more profit"?

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
gmstuff #202753 Sat Sep 11 2010 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
[quote=gmstuff]I hardly think I could blame the seller, I have pulled listings off eBay in past and will continue to do it. Why should I give them a commission for selling something when I could pocket that profit.

The thing is, You would not have had that seller if it wasn't for the listing on ebay. Nobody likes to feel used, but that is exactly what your doing, Using ebay to find a buyer, then stealing their commission after they did the legwork and put buyer and seller together.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
KZ1000 #202755 Sat Sep 11 2010 10:21 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Seller has no idea what someone has bid as a snipe, & then it will only be used when some other bidder gets close or goes over that bid. It's still a gamble what item will sell for.

Dick Bennett #202758 Sat Sep 11 2010 10:50 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Bob, you can justify it however you want… Bottom line for me is, I paid the listing fee and from that alone EBay is getting fat; I’m not worried about their bottom line. Like Advertoligist said, their stock isn’t exactly plummeting.

Just last week I listed some items here on Oldgas for sale, after a few days of no responses I listed the items on eBay. After I posted the eBay listing an Oldgas member called me to purchase the item he saw posted here. I ended the eBay listing and sold it to the member. EBay was happy with the listing fee, the buyer was happy with the purchase and I got my asking price……. So, where’s the problem??

Last edited by gmstuff; Sat Sep 11 2010 10:50 AM.
gmstuff #202788 Sat Sep 11 2010 07:14 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ah the real story- I did not get the can...

So I like many other collectors saw this can and asked what he would sell the can for. We haggled a bit over email and ended up settling on a package price for the can and a red crown thermometer. He would not give me his phone number, red flag number one. I sent him the money via paypal on Tuesday. He then stopped returning my emails. At the same time he continued to shop the can on Wednesday and Thursday trying to get money from other collectors to sell the same can again. On Friday I contacted the police to file a report and suddenly he answers his phone and shares his sob story about not being able to pay his bills. He promises to send the can on Monday.

Tonight I get an email that he is selling the can to another collector who emailed him after the auction ended. Sometimes you win sometimes you loose but I will have my day in court with this guy. I already filed the paperwork tonight. Its guys like this that make buying through ebay worth the extra money you have to pay fighting it out with other bidders.

Scott Wright
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved