Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
E
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
E
Hello olgassers, I'm in a little bind and would really appreciate some opinions. I have done some extended research as well as contacted some very knowledgeable people and have gotten different responses. Before taking a chance I rather get some opinions. I have the opportunity to buy a matching pair of SSP Mobil Pegasus signs. The seller claims he's had them for 20+ years. To me they look exactly like the example on page 168 of BJ Summers Gas Station Memorabilia book, however I can't make out in that picture if that one has grommets for hanging in the nose and wing like these. Problem is looking through tons of old auction results & mathews as well, I dont see this style. I have a cookie cutter and have seen some of the embossed 3-D styles, however not many of the flat versions that are out there. The only way to hang them are brass grommets, one in the nose and wing as you can see in the last pic. They Measure 28" high x 36" long each. They arent the T-53 fakes that have been out there a plenty. They seem much better than that. No date or any letters anywhere? What do you think? If they are indeed real what would be a fair price to pay for the pair. Thanks in advance for your time- Eric & Kim

peg.jpg peg1.jpg peg2.jpg peg4.jpg

Mainly focused on Oilzum, Jenney, Harris Oil items & original paint gas pumps.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm no expert, let me state that up front.

The Pegasus cookie-cutter type signs from Mobilgas/Socony-Vacuum were building signs (wall hangers) according to the Mobil Collector's guide. They all had mounting brackets on the back. (1946-1966) (The book also mentions the plastic pegasus but doesn't go into any detail. The only SSP Pegasus sign mentioned for Mobil is a 42" prototype from 1964 and it is not a cookie-cutter)

For me, the seller having them for 20+ years is no big deal. IMO, they are a late 70's, early 80's repop.

I have the second edition of the Summer's Book and the small sign he shows, IMO has no grommets.

On page 62 of the Mobil Collector's & Price Guide; "Building Signs and Letters. Flat Horses, known sizes 29"x37" White outline and details $1600".

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
20 years dates them to the 1990's, I'd pass on them

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
I seen them on craigslist also and PASSED on them!

E
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
E
Wow thanks guys. I'm just like you guys. I'm always hesitant to buy anything without dates or at least seeing others in past sales. This just looks like a really good repop....the grommets also gave me reservations. Well bummer...lol Thanks guys

Mainly focused on Oilzum, Jenney, Harris Oil items & original paint gas pumps.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved