Next Thread
Print Thread
#203609 Thu Sep 16 2010 09:20 PM
O
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
O
No I don't want to know what it is worth, but how to clean it.

The paint seems to be a reflective type, you can see in this pic where I use a soft scrub pad and dishwashing detergent

I happened to get an extra top section and a check sign, probably had a buddy with oil???

What do you think? late 1960's or early 1970's???? tt

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
This may work for you:

I had a sign that was in about the same condition - I tried a few things to bring it back to life. I ended up putting a soft wire brush on my drill and gave the sign a once over. The trick is to clear coat it with plastic resin to bring whatever color is left back to life. (best to use SPAR - the stuff suitable for wood boats and such - has a UV protectant and is good for a long time) The results were not spectacular but appreciable. (Remeber when I bought this hunk of junk for $5 Colin?! I seen you shaking your head).

1948 coke sign.

A "before" piece is on the left and "after" on the right in one pic (before clearcoat). Last pic is the sign finished (still needs a new frame though).

Good luck.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
YOUR SHELL SIGN IS PRETTY MUCH SHOT. RUST ON PAINTED SURFACES USUALLY NEVER COME BACK GLEAMING OR SOMEWHAT DECENT IF AT ALL BASED ON THE PICS YOUR SHOWING.

I LIKE WHAT YOU DID WITH THE COKE SIGN! DEF LOOKS CANADIAN STYLE!

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Yes I remember that sign at the auction Greg. For 5 bucks it turned out to be a much better barn hanger than it was at the time . If you hadn't bought it, I suppose it would have went to the dump. Nice job.

Colin Latreille
Always looking for Quality Canadian Oil & Gas & Ford Signs
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...the blue/white section would have read 'Check Your Gauge', as in 'gas gauge'...I was very young when these billboards were used and I remember asking my Dad what a 'gauge' was, as I had never seen the word before...it went on the bottom section of the sign...definitely mid-to-late 1960's, still in use in the 1970's...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved