Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#20592 Sun Dec 19 2004 01:44 PM
Oldgas Offline OP
OP Offline
Dwaine sent me an email that said he got a scam pop-up ad after visiting Oldgas.com.

Oldgas.com does not have any programming that would generate pop-up ads of any kind. We have no control over other sites that we may link to. If you find a site that is linked by Oldgas.com and provides unwanted spam, scams or pop-up ads, please let me know . Some pop-ups are fairly harmless advertising that provides some income for the site that generates them. Oldgas.com does not do that.

One of the tricks abusers play is to pop-up an ad that looks serious and requires some action on your part. Often they have a "Yes" or "No" button or even a second "X" box on the upper right of the pop-up window. The trick is that the "No," "Cancel," "Close" and the second "X" actually are the same as "Yes" and allow the scammer to run something on your computer. They could then be installing unwanted software or violating your privacy. Clicking the X in the far upper right corner is the only safe action.

I recommend:
* Never clicking anywhere on an unwanted pop-up ad unless you are willing to take a chance on the outcome.
* Configure your anti-virus software to provide malicious script blocking. My Norton software is great for that.
* Check your computer for adware or spyware if you are getting pop-up ads often or when you usually wouldn't expect them.
* Run Windows Update regularly to check for Microsoft updates to close up weaknesses found in Internet Explorer or Windows that would let attackers do bad things to your computer.

Some Oldgas.com pages do have some scripting that provides certain Shop Talk features, eBay live auction lists and image functions. None of these have any risk to your privacy, security or generate pop-up advertising.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#20593 Sun Dec 19 2004 02:25 PM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Here's what happened, i was looking at the thread by thunder on the darn decal. a pop up add jumped up and asked if i want a free download for pop ups. before i could click on the no or exit it started the download and i couldn't stop it. when it finished it said i had 27 i think pop up on my hard drive , at that time i was able to close the program and go back to the home . i ran my own program for pop ups and found 32 on my hard drive and the cookies said (imageshack- and something about critical errors .something, then later it showed up on my desk top. I removed it from there and my program files. I don't know how or why iy happen but it did. good luck . just letting you no.

------------------
Dwaine. pca-west.org
http://www.caltel.com/~jlgas/
http://www.caltel.com/~jlgas/Items_for_Sale.html
http://www.caltel.com/~jlgas/misc_.html

#20594 Sun Dec 19 2004 03:14 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
WHEN I CLICK ON AN IMAGE SHACK THUMB WITHIN OLDGAS, I USUALLY GET A POP-UP WINDOW OR TWO BETWEEN OLDGAS AND THE WINDOW GENERATED BY THE THUMB...MOST ARE JUST WORTHLESS ADS WHICH I CAN CLOSE. NOT A PROBLEM!

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGES!

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
#20595 Sun Dec 19 2004 05:48 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I get a pop up everytime I access imageshack also!

#20596 Sun Dec 19 2004 05:50 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I haven't had any trouble. Maybe AOL blocks them????

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#20597 Sun Dec 19 2004 05:52 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bob, I have AOL 9.0 with the blocker an i here it block it... i don't get the pop-ups either.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
#20598 Sun Dec 19 2004 09:28 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
No pop ups here. Maybe they don't bother snail phone line service. Ha Ha to the DSL users. Ted

------------------
Ted Roach
Stuck in Lodi CA.
pca-west.org

Ted Pam Ethyl & Polly Roach
Lodi CA.
209-210-8971
Looking for Signal, Hancock, Mohawk, Douglas, Gilmore and Richfield
#20599 Mon Dec 20 2004 12:04 AM
P
P
No pop-ups here, but I'm using Mozilla Firefox instead of Internet Explorer...

#20600 Mon Dec 20 2004 08:19 AM
A
A
I'm not getting any popups either and I'm on MSN.

Speaking for:
Awesome Consepts Enterprises

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved