Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#206157 Mon Oct 04 2010 08:57 AM
H
OP Offline
H
my friend was going through some more of her parents stuff and found these gas rationing stamps. does anyone have any info on these? are they worth anything. please ignore the postal stamps at the top. I have a pic but it is pdf and can't get it to load.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
hoopty388 #206167 Mon Oct 04 2010 10:14 AM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Any of us here who either lived through the war or who had parents who lived through the war remember these well. In Philadelphia we used to go the the local Jr. High School (the one I attended), wait in line and get our gas stamps. Actually we also got our food stamps here also.
You were only allowed so many stamps, depending on your occupation and how far you drove to work. The government also issued a windshield decal which indicated how you car was to be used. They had a A, or B, etc. on them. This indicated how the car was to be used. One letter indicated that you could drive alone, another letter indicated how many people were to be in the car because by law you had to car pool to get to work.
There was a lot of black marketing when it came to the gas stamps.
When my father passed away I cleaned out his bureau and found the last of the stamps that he still had when they discontinued them. Sorry to say, they are not worth too much because there is too many of them still around, better to put them in the family album.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Jack Sim #206176 Mon Oct 04 2010 10:52 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Re save picture as a jpeg then try again.

hoopty388 #206184 Mon Oct 04 2010 11:54 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'd like to add that the speed limit was lowered to 35 mph here in Nebraska, and maybe nation wide, along with the rationing of gas to save tires which were in short supply because of our supply of natural rubber was shut off by the Japanese. This was before synthetic rubber.
New tractors combines and other farm implements, if you were lucky enough to be able to purchase them, were sent out from the factories on steel wheels rather than rubber tires.
Hope this helps.
Rod

Looking to buy or trade old gas station memorabilia such as pumps, globes, cans, signs, free give-aways, S&P shakers etc. from the 20s-60s.
rvanpelt #206427 Tue Oct 05 2010 11:14 PM
H
OP Offline
H
I knew the basics of gas rationing stamps, (why they were neede etc.) but thank you for the info.
i didn't think they were worth much but she wanted me to check. thank you for the info.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved