Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#20623 Sat Jun 11 2005 05:03 AM
Veteran Member
OP Online Content
Veteran Member
I am trying to find out how I can makes this operate in my Wayne 511 Today.
I can turn the gears easily by inserting a large blade screwdriver into the bottom base input where the shaft originally fit into it.The shaft is gone now.
When I do this,the gears and number dials spin & move freely,so is there some sort of a motor I can hook up to replicate the gas flow to make it operate Today?
Possibly an on/off switch I can install in the Gas Pump trigger handle to replicate the Gas flowing?
I am also trying to clean off the white Dial Price/Gallon numbers for better appearance.Is there a good cleaner & method any one can recommend without destroying them?
I Thank you all for your knowledge & input.
I am new to all this.

[This message has been edited by coldpizza (edited 06-11-2005).]

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#20624 Sat Jun 11 2005 06:44 AM
J
J
I Cleaned one up yesterday,the numbers where very dirty. almost brown, and all I use was penetrating oil with a soft tooth brush than wipped it dry with a soft cloth Looks just like new

#20625 Sun Jun 12 2005 12:39 AM
K
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
K
Set my 36B up that way. Switch on the side turns on the lights. I then hooked the existing rod from the nozzle fork to a regular electrical box and wall switch mounted inside the pump. Drilled the switch and ran a small bolt through it with a nut to keep it (the rod) from falling off. This supplies power to all electrical components in pump. Had a 176RPM motor I had bought from Northern Tool & Equipment I hooked up under the computer. Still turned too fast so reduced the speed by adding some gears from a water meter at work. Ran wires down the hose and glued a micro-switch under the big nut on the nozzle. Also duct taped a hair dryer (don't use the heat setting) from K-Mart to the fuel line and wired it into the same switch for the computer. Cut a chunk of the fuel piping out after it comes out of the sight glass manifold but before it leaves the pump so any air from the hairdryer is just dumped back into the pump and not forced down the hose. This hole also opens the line so wires can be ran down the hose to the micro-switch. So when the nozzle fork is lifted and the trigger squeezed the numbers turn, the bell rings and the sight glass spinners spin their little hearts out. All in all it cost about $50 and a few hours of time but hearing that bell ring for the first time since I was a teen sure brought back some memories. I'll post a pic if I find time tomorrow to open her up.
Ken

[This message has been edited by kwilal (edited 06-12-2005).]

#20626 Sun Jun 12 2005 01:38 PM
Veteran Member
OP Online Content
Veteran Member
John
The toothbrush & WD-40 did the trick.
THANKS!

Ken
I would very much enjoy seeing pictures of how you wired up your pump as well.
This site & people are the best.

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
#20627 Sun Jun 12 2005 05:18 PM
K
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
K
Here's a pic of the innards. You can see the existing black rod coming from the nozzle fork and going to the electrical box & switch on the right side of pic. Just drill the switch and insert a small bolt & nut. Motor bolts to some angle iron, water meter gears are above motor, this took a little doing but wasn't too bad. Shaft attaches to computer using stock fitting. If you don't have this fitting you can ask around here for one or just get some 3/8th round stock and drill for a drift pin in one end to fit in slot you're now sticking a sacrewdriver in. Hairdryer is that purple thing on the left, just duct taped to the line at existing union and held in place with nylon ties.

Here's a shot of the micro-switch. Probably pick one up at Radio Shack. I removed the roller on top and used epoxy to glue an extended flat piece of metal that extended beyond the switch. This contacted the valve seat inside the nozzle and rose & dropped with activation of the handle. Siliconed the whole thing in place inside the handle so it wouldn't go anywhere once it was in place.
Ken

[This message has been edited by kwilal (edited 06-12-2005).]

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved