Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#207069 Sat Oct 09 2010 06:38 PM
Fred K Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello. I am Fred K from good old rainy Oregon. Now that the rain has started, it seems like time to get to the old pump.

The main question I have at this point is: How do I get the @#$%& thing apart? It has been standing outside for 40 or 50 years and needless to say has a bit of rust on the screws, bolts, etc. I have used some Krol (sp) penetrating oil to some success on some of the bolts but the screws are a different story. Do I have to drill them out and replace them??? Or is there a better way to get them out.

Also everything seems to be frozen up-like the pump, motor, various levers, etc. So is there a way to get these things to move without breaking them? Maybe I am to inpatient and need to let the penetrating oil do it's thing.

Anyone have some good ideas???

Thanks

Fred Kroon
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Lots of PB blaster! Get it in a gallon jug at any napa store. Heat helps too, just be careful, some of the parts on your pump are pot metal, you dont want to melt them.

Welcome to oldgas.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Fred K Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Ryan. Guess I will just hang in there and be take my time in the tear down.

Last edited by Fred K; Sat Oct 09 2010 07:31 PM.

Fred Kroon
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Take Lots of pictures for later use.
Finishing a pump sometimes is like Mating Elephants,
takes a couple of years for finial results !
ROTF,LMAO

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Fred, welcome to the site, these guys can give you loads of help. Taking a pump apart is not always an easy job. Most of us have broken a part (or eight) trying to remove one part or another. Your pump was made in the mid 30's, sat outside in the weather for most of it's life. Things freeze up, rust closed, and just become a bear to remove. Don't give up, use lots of penetrating oil, and patience. Take and share lots of photos.
Just have fun with it.
Don

Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
oltoydoc@vintagegas.com
(310)415-9562 Cel.
Vintage Gas
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Can ONLY Wish WE could be as easily RESTORED as doing a pump or car !
I've had a few screws added to my body, still not as good as it use to be.

M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
Patience!Slow process.You have a nice start with a Wayne 60!

V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
Welcome Fred,
I agree with all of the above. Be sure to take lots of pics and store them in an account (like Flickr or email like gmail,yahoo,hotmail)NOT just on your computer. By the time I went to put my pump back together, my computer had crashed and I lost all my pics. Thankfully, I had the advice of the guys here on how to put it back together.
Im pretty impatient also and find that beer helps in restoration projects.
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
G
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
G
Sometimes I use an inpact screwdriver with good results. Just don't hit to hard on the top sholders they are cast and will break. Welcome to the site. Richard

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome aboard fellow Oregonian. Someday I hope to do a restoration but displaying a pump "As-is" can be an option too. I see how much work is involved and know how many unfinished projects I already have so my pump has been this way for the 4 years I have had it. Just add a globe to the top and you are done.
Mike

39 Pump.jpg
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Welcome. Sounds like a task in store. like a few of my old claimers, I did do a lot of drilling out when penetrating oil failed. Expect that, but for non pot metals Ive used a hot wrench and even a small die grinder if you can reach a nut. Lot of great pumps brought back this way when done in moderation. Fun starts too when preping the metal. Stay focused and keep a photo gallery start to finish..........

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
You will find that a torch is your best friend when taking apart these old pumps. I have found that penetrants are a poor substitute. It takes a little experience to use heat correctly without damaging the part, but will save hours in the long run. Good luck Greg.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome Fred, Since its a Wayne 60 you are doing I think you will like this old post

http://www.oldgas.com/shoptalk/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000536.html

Saved it in my 'favorites' column

Enjoy

Larry

In memory of DB 9/12/49 - 8/28/14
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
Good luck Fred. I've had my share of pumps over the years and everyone is right, patience, of which I have very little, penetrating oil and hard work. Luckely I've never broken any parts even in my rush to get things done. One thing you might consider is removing the motor and tossing it out. Most restored pumps don't have the heavy motors and parts in them
Ray

Fred K Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks guys for the words of encouragement. I know I will need some help with this thing. I have done some rebuilding work on a Ford 8N tractor and 1929 Model A Ford but this "beast" is a little different. I am afraid I will mess something up when I try to get some of these parts off and it seems like it may be hard to find replacement parts. If anyone knows of good sites for replacement parts (I am sure I will need some) please let me know.

Thanks again for the help.

Fred Kroon
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved