Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Claes...no offense to you at all, there were $49.95 when I sold Vic's to Don Beaver.....

And when I say cheap, I mean they are a just painted metal....typically some fantasy graphic or a direct copy of a porcelain dealer sign.

There are good repros (hard to tell the difference, easy to get fooled), bad repros (jokes: wrong colors, fonts, etc), and obvious repros (ones so corny they should never be mistaken).....and these are obvious repros.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
[quote=Seth Robbins]John...this sign WAS MARKED!!!! I bought about 5000 signs from Sign Past/Husky Liner/Winfield whatever

So you helped get all that ***** into circulation to begin with!

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
its not the people making the signs, its the people buying the signs, EDUCATE YOURSELF.....I'll say it a million times, it you don't know what you are doing, don't do it...its sure not rocket science..........

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: roadrelics
its not the people making the signs, its the people buying the signs, EDUCATE YOURSELF.....I'll say it a million times, it you don't know what you are doing, don't do it...its sure not rocket science..........

Daryl, I couldn’t agree more, while it is unfortunate that there are so many dishonest sellers it all falls back on the buyer. If you are willing to enter this hobby and spend you’re hard earned money on something it is up to YOU to know what you are buying. This site is a perfect example of the type of knowledge that is out there for new collectors or collectors with questions.

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Originally Posted By: KZ1000
[quote=Seth Robbins]John...this sign WAS MARKED!!!! I bought about 5000 signs from Sign Past/Husky Liner/Winfield whatever

So you helped get all that ***** into circulation to begin with!

You bet your ***** I did and made a good living for a long time doing it, now Don & Lynn have it and I hope they are successful as well. There is a purpose and a reason for the ***** you are talking about, and it has a very big place in the petro hobby whether you like it or not. Just like in this case, someone took a licensed, marked reproduction that shouldn't be mistaken in a million years for original, and they aged it and rubbed the mark off and got $200 for it. If you google FLYING A GASOLINE SIGN right now, there are 3 picture ads of this sign immediately at the top with a $79.95 price. I'm sorry this nice lady got taken, but it took me about 3 1/2 seconds to find this is a repop.

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Well put! Yeah once i got it, it was marked but scratched and rusted out

LUCKY'S LONESTAR GAS & OIL

««Looking for the Sinclair Mobiline and Pennsylvania Motor Oil Vertical Signs
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
If i had researched prior, i would have noticed but the wife was excited and she is just getting into collecting, and we try to rely on honest sellers, I myself have a nice collection all originals... and a pretty good idea of what most are worth, age ect...but this just sucks!

Originally Posted By: gmstuff
Originally Posted By: roadrelics

Daryl, I couldn’t agree more, while it is unfortunate that there are so many dishonest sellers it all falls back on the buyer. If you are willing to enter this hobby and spend you’re hard earned money on something it is up to YOU to know what you are buying. This site is a perfect example of the type of knowledge that is out there for new collectors or collectors with questions.

LUCKY'S LONESTAR GAS & OIL

««Looking for the Sinclair Mobiline and Pennsylvania Motor Oil Vertical Signs
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
THAT'S RIGHT, REPRO'S WILL ALWAYS BE A PART OF MANY HOBBIES OURS OR OTHERWISE. CAN'T STOP IT FROM HAPPENING AND I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH THAT AS LONG AS THESE REPRO'S ARE DATED, NICELY MADE AND NOT TOO PRICEY. YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER THAT NOT EVERYBODY WHO DECORATES THEIR MAN-CAVE IS A SERIOUS COLLECTOR WITH DEEP POCKETS.....I KNOW I'M NOT. REAL OR REPRO...IF IT CATCHES MY EYE AND IT'S PRICED RIGHT, I'LL BUY IT.....OR PAINT IT FOR MYSELF LOL! DIFF'RENT STROKES FOR DIFF'RENT FOLKS I SUPPOSE!

Last edited by THE AMERICAN GARAGE; Wed Oct 20 2010 05:54 PM. Reason: USED THE SAME WORD TWICE!

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

So you helped get all that ***** into circulation to begin with! [/quote]

You bet your ***** I did and made a good living for a long time doing it, now Don & Lynn have it and I hope they are successful as well. There is a purpose and a reason for the ***** you are talking about, and it has a very big place in the petro hobby whether you like it or not.

If you remember back a few years, This Petro hobby started with collectors collecting ORIGINAL Gas Station Signs. It used to be fun, NOW we have to deal with all that junk that has been copied for several years and "turning" into original items. REAL collectors would not have even started the repro process years ago and we wouldn't be having this stupid discussion again. Everything was fine with just original items to search for, Until these Fantasy seekers wanted to invade another good collectible hobby with their *****.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved