Page 1 of 2 1 2
#208354 Mon Oct 18 2010 09:06 AM
R
r-man Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
R
Can anyone tell me more about this sign? We picked it up at a swap meet and wanted to know more, is it rare what part of the country was it in and an approx year. It also has Stoll in the lower left corner. Thanks

[img:left][/img]
[img:left][/img]

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
r-man #208357 Mon Oct 18 2010 09:50 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO ATTACH THE THREAD BUT SEP 2005 COTM "STOLL"

CHRIS
BUYING ANYTHING EARLY HUMBLE OIL CO.
BUY SELL TRADE ORIGINAL GAS PUMP PARTS
r-man #208358 Mon Oct 18 2010 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
STOLL OIL REFINING CO.

PRELUDE

This month's COTM will be quite different from the normal facts and dates seen previously in COTM. This is a look at history through the person that was a major part of our history. I think some obscure facts and tidbits will provide some of you with enjoyment and some previously unknown facts may come to light.

A few months ago, I was contacted by a Carolyn Stoll Bolt of Sarasota, Florida. Her Great Grandfather was Charles Christian Stoll, founder of the company and she was seeking information. Very little is known of the company and I dug into my reference books to accommodate her. Being a smaller regional oil company, all the available information was about the same. "Stoll Oil was founded in Louisville, Ky. in 1896 and bought out by Sinclair in 1952. All rebranding to Sinclair was completed by 1956." This would have normally summed up my article for Company of the Month if not for what Carolyn was about to provide me with. Soon packets of information started to arrive including C.C.'s personal journal. What I found was an amazing insight into the very early years of the oil industry.

Intellegence, intuition, integrity. These traits are not now found in top level corporate managements and certainly not in the petroleum industry. But Charles Christian Stoll (1861-1943) exhibited all of these and more. This was the era of the Standard Oil Trust and John D. Rockefeller, but I'm getting ahead of myself. Let me start from the very beginning.

THE STANDARD OIL TRUST & CHESS CARLEY YEARS 1881-1896

Born April 23, 1861 in Louisville, Ky., Charles Christian Stoll (referred to as C.C. from this point on) had the "normal" childhood for his time. Upon graduating in the top of his class in 1880, he was emplyeed by Chess Carley Oil Company of Nashville, Tn. in 1881 as a bookkeeper. His education of the oil industry business was beginning. It is common knowledge of John Rockefeller's Standard Oil Trust's business practices and how they dominated the world's oil market. Little did I know that Standard "allowed" some oil companies, known as "agents" to flourish...as long as they were loyal to Standard. Chess Carley was one of these companies in the South.

Chess Carley Oil Company was based upon the destruction of any Standard Oil competition. The plan of operation "aimed to secure a monopoly and bring forth under control of the Standard Oil Company, all petroleum refining/marketing, etc." In these early days there were very few independent oil refineries. C.C. recalls only one, Geo Rice of Marietta, Ohio as a "thorn in the flesh" for Chess Carley in the South. Mr. Carley issued a monthy small pamphlet called "Black Death". Printed in yellow and black colors with a large skull and crossbones on the cover. In these phamphlets are the unfair methods employed by the railroads in connection with Chess Carley and Standard Oil. He printed many letters from customers complaining how the arrival of a carload from Geo Rice resulted in a drop in the selling price to a point below cost and asking Mr. Rice what he could do about it. C.C. is quoted many years later "I deeply regret not to have kept some of these issues for they stirred in those of us employed by the Big Company a feeling of shame and unfairness and that feeling grew with the years".

C.C. made out claims against the L&N (louisville/Nashville) Railroad for Standard Oil on shipments made by the competitors. The shipping rate for kerosene in carloads of wooden barrels was $1 per barrel for the competitor, 50 cents per barrel to Standard. Then the railroad paid the competition's extra 50 cents to Standard. The rate of a tankcar of petroleum from Louisville to Atlanta was $107 per car. Twice that for the competition.

C.C. was also now in charge of the "competitive statements" for the "Kentucky". These monthy reports were known as the "W.E. Bemis Reports". These were forwarded to Mr. bemis at his New York office. Selling prices were based on the amount of competition in the market. "We were suppose to know and report the receipt of all competitive oil in our 10 states". Special "station agents" were employed and it was their duty to report, often by wire, the arrival of any competitive oil in his territory, giving all details, shipper's name, point shipped from, etc. Usually, of course, the price at that location dropped. Usually to a point that would give loss and discourage that merchant from dealing in competitive oils.

In 1883, C.C. was transferred back to the main office in Louisville as part of Standard Oil of Kentucky. He was one of the 5 or 6 who sat around the "Big Table" considering changes in pricing. These were the days when kerosene or coal oil was the chief product and the tank wagon was just beginning to make its appearance for deliveries. The gasoline motor had not yet appeared and gasoline was a byproduct and difficult to dispose of. So C.C. was surprised one day when a close associate of John D. Rockefeller approached him asking if he could not stir up some orders for him for gasoline as he was burning gasoline under his boilers at the Standard Refinery in Parkersburg, Pa.

Another marketing technique construed by Mr. Carley about 1884 was what he called the "Circuit System". It consisted of building in 10 or 12 small towns a small warehouse in each. They would be just large enough to hold a carload of 60 barrels of kerosene. One salesman would be in charge of that "circuit'. C.C. was delegated to organize the first circuit in Mississippi. He selected the towns with Meridian as headquarters. As soon as the system was built, a "circuit rider" was to take charge. Columbus was one of these towns and Mr. Carley's idea was not going well. It seemed that there was a local grocery store that resisted selling Chess Carley products. They were told if they persisted with this attitude, the Chess Carley Company would go into the grocery business, undercut their pricing and put them out of business. After being rebuked again, the oil company constructed a grocery store right next to the local merchant and immediately cut pricing well below the original store's goods. Chess Carley should have known better as the town citizens took up the fight. The public was aroused by such unfairness and their sympathy was with the local merchant. The result was inevitable as the oil company's store could not sell goods at any price and eventually closed, along with their potential oil sales.It was into this mess that C.C. was sent to make amends and get Columbus back into the "circuit". C.C's diplomatic side emerged as he took out public apologies in the newspaper and did some politicing. He finally pursuaded the city council to reissue the necessary permits for business.

The Chess Carley Company was completely absorbed by Standard Oil in 1886, the same year C.C. married. When he and his new bride left on their wedding trip, he was employed by Chess Carley. Upon his return home, he was an employee of Standard Oil Of Kentucky. While the Standard Oil co. was very kind to C.C. he was not happy in his work. "The ruthless methods, the unfairness of the Bemis Reports, which I personally make regularly, weigh heavily upon me".

Thes methods of unfairness were exposed by Miss Ida Tarbell. Her brother was an officer in one of the larger Pa. oil companies not associated with Standard. She was able to obtain detailed and reliable information. The magazine "Everybody" ran a monthy serial on the misdeeds of the Standard Oil monopoly. It created a tremendous sensation in the land and resulted in the tightening of the laws. Under the instigation of Theodore Rooselvelt as President, the Federal Gov't brought suit against the Standard Oil Trust. in 1911, Judge Landis from the Federal Bench in Chicago address a fine of $29,000,000 and ordered the company dismembered and put back into its original 33 corporations.

Being a very religious man and active in community life, the business practices C.C. was subjected to were finally taking their toll. In late 1895 or early '96, word came that the General Office of Standard of Ky. would be moved from Louisville to Cincinnat. This directly affected C.C. and finally gave him the opportunity he seeked...Resignation.Mr. E.L. Goodwin, VP of the "Kentucky" tried to persuade C.C. into staying, even relaying a large promotion that was to be his. The Company's ruthless marketing methods were frankly discussed and when Goodwin realized he could not change C.C.'s mind, he asked what he would do. "The only business I know is the oil business". C.C replied. Goodwin stated, "You know that if you did that, the Standard Oil Co. would drop the price here in Louisville 4 cents per gallon and raise it in Chattanooga". "Yes, I know that and that is just the reason why I am quitting as I believe I prefer to be the underdog than to continue to harass the other fellow".

C.C.'s resignation was then forwarded to Mr. Charles W. Pratt in New York. C.C. was asked to report to the corporate N.Y. headquarters for an appointment with Mr. Pratt, which he did. After refusing several promotions and offers, the resignation was accepted. C.C was now on his own.

CHRIS
DIESEL #208366 Mon Oct 18 2010 10:31 AM
R
r-man Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
R
Interesting so this is an early sign?

r-man #208374 Mon Oct 18 2010 12:17 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Was this sign at the Chickashea swap meet this past weekend? there was one there in about this condition, it was a neat early sign.

gmstuff #208375 Mon Oct 18 2010 12:22 PM
R
r-man Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
R
Yes this is the one, a little rough but we liked it!

r-man #208392 Mon Oct 18 2010 01:11 PM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Ryan it is rough but still very cool smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
gasoildude #208399 Mon Oct 18 2010 01:20 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
RYAN..... IF YOU GET A CHANCE, READ THAT THREAD FROM 2005 ON STOLL OIL REFINING CO.LOTS OF PICS TOO! IT IS REALLY GOOD ,I ENJOYED & LEARNED A LOT ABOUT A COMPANY I KNEW NOTHING ABOUT,I THINK YOU WILL LIKE IT !

CHRIS
DIESEL #208404 Mon Oct 18 2010 01:37 PM
R
r-man Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
R
I sure will and look forward to it. Thanks again for the info! Ryan

r-man #208409 Mon Oct 18 2010 02:26 PM
R
r-man Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
R
I looked it up and the pics have been removed..........

r-man #208440 Mon Oct 18 2010 05:42 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Golden Tip was in Louisville, Kentucky for sure. When you see photo's from the 1937 flood, you always see the Golden Tip signs sticking up above the water. I think they were bought out by Gulf. I have a Golden Tip arrow sign with a yellow background. Mine is a little rough.

Rare pumps, Chevrolet items, Goldon Tip Gasoline, Marathon (running man)
Cell # 1-502-396-3435 email lowright@aol.com
LOWright #208475 Mon Oct 18 2010 10:31 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have the pictures somewhere (but not here at work)
Will try to remember, and post them.
br
Claes

fast66 #208505 Tue Oct 19 2010 05:41 AM
R
r-man Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
R
Thanks!

r-man #208578 Tue Oct 19 2010 12:04 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I did remember :-D had an alarm on the cell phone of course ;-)
There are 12 pix so it will have to be several posts.

Stoll gasoline Neptune pumps.jpg Stoll gasoline Smith pumps.jpg Stoll gasoline Wayne pumps.jpg Stoll Oil Refining Co Erie pumps2.jpg
fast66 #208579 Tue Oct 19 2010 12:06 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
couple more...

Stoll Oil Refining Co Erie pumps3.jpg Stoll Oil Refining Co SilverTowns.jpg Stoll Oil Refining Co Tokheim pumps2.jpg Stoll Oil Refining Golden Tip Gasoline.jpg
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved