Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
mobil100 #208249 Sun Oct 17 2010 05:31 PM
V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
Ok, Thanks. I know who you are talking about now. I must have missed that episode.

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
mobil100 #208252 Sun Oct 17 2010 05:32 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If you go to youtube you will see Mike off American Pickers was doing the video of himself promoting it to History channel for sometime.
Mike and Frank for 2 guys that have been picking for years and have fun doing it. We all know many things are staged for TV and edited but what Rick did was sell out to try to get a show.
Pawn Stars i like to watch but American Pickers is the best to watch. Just wish they wouldn't show at the end what they think it's worth or sold for.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Jarvis #208259 Sun Oct 17 2010 05:53 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I Like Pickers also, but I think Pawn Stars is just plain Stupid.

My Dad met Frank from American Pickers at a Big Motorcycle Swap Meet in Davenport Iowa this year and Dad said he was a Real Nice Guy. Said he shot the Bull with him for about a Half Hour. Frank Told my Dad that He & Mike had been attending that swap meet for 26 years.

***Wanted*** Always looking for Oilzum, Kunz, and Husky Cans, Signs and Smalls.
Jarvis #208263 Sun Oct 17 2010 05:58 PM
D
D
You have to realize these shows are put together by directors/producers that probably weren't born yet when these Coke machines or gas pumps were in use and they have no interest in them. I doubt they could pick a machine out of a lineup 5 minutes after they saw it, and they think the audience is just as dumb. Its just entertainment to them.

mobil100 #208432 Mon Oct 18 2010 04:53 PM
R
R
Hey boys!

American Restoration premieres on October 25th at 9pm EST.

Here is the trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZVEMvWwmns

Don't judge on the old stuff that we had no control over, now you can see how its really done!

Check out the website for more videos!
Bye now!

ricksgirl #208459 Mon Oct 18 2010 07:58 PM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Thanks for chiming in, Rick. I'll be sure to set my DVR to tape the show. By the way, is that your black 51 in the trailer??

ricksgirl #208502 Tue Oct 19 2010 05:08 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: restorick
the old stuff that we had no control over

...really?...REALLY??...let's go to the tape, and see how it's really done!

http://www.history.com/videos/time-machines#time-machines

...this is the actual episode where Rick explains how he took a POS Vendo and 'restored' it to a Cavalier...WATCH IT NOW, kiddies, before the History Channel yanks it off the 'net...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
ricksgirl #208506 Tue Oct 19 2010 05:46 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'm really looking forward to the new show , he does a great job on the restores, cool to see how they turn out. Looks to be a great show. Love pickers too. Wife and I watch every week. Although ive never seen em they are always right here in my backyard in Illinois the good ol midwest, being out of Iowa.

LUCKY'S LONESTAR GAS & OIL

««Looking for the Sinclair Mobiline and Pennsylvania Motor Oil Vertical Signs
Lucky's Lonestar #208511 Tue Oct 19 2010 06:00 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...'great'?...no, he does an UNBELIEVABLE job on the 'restores'...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
gulfiend! #208514 Tue Oct 19 2010 06:23 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I am so glad I refuse to pay for cable or dish TV when junk like this is the quality of material that is being aired. However, I have watched two episodes of Pawn Stars (downloaded 'em off the internet) after being told by numerous people that I should check it out. I know a good many people are stupid, but the people they had coming in had to be staged, or Vegas has the most stupid/desperate people per capita. Why, when your told your item is worth XX and your offered .X for it, would you not take it and sell it somewhere else, even Ebay? I'm sure Rick is probably a nice guy, but I'm sure having to pay for their brick and mortar building and the dollar signs from the History Channel made him go over to the dark side.

Welcome to OldGas restorick.

CircaDesigns Looking for early AMOCO and SUNOCO items.
CircaDesigns #208518 Tue Oct 19 2010 06:50 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Can't wait to see the new show, I'm sure it will become a favorite at our house along with American Chopper and American Pickers.

Welcome to oldgas Rick!!! Be sure to plug the site when you can now that you're a member smile

Ohio Oil #208524 Tue Oct 19 2010 07:26 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Not to sound like I'm on the side of the TV shows but you have to understand that it is TV afterall and some degree of staging will be necessary for filming purposes. As to just trying to do a switch-er-roo, THAT'S HOLLYWOOD!! Even your most beloved movies of all time can find this kind of Tom foolery. So you have to take it all in stride, be smart enough to pull out the real info especially from AP's. As for selling things for less than what they are worth on Pawn Stars.....I'm bettin' for a spot on TV and maybe even some compensation from the network that is all part of the "total" price. You'd be amazed how lazy or willing to do research on the best way to sell an item that people can be. Look how many people say they need the money...almost as if the IRS is about to send them packin'. Cash on the spot with no hassles.....let's face it, sometimes you can't put a price on that.....No shipping costs, taxes, buyers fees, etc. Many of these people admit they've got something from a relative that is just of no interest to them and selling it quickly is all that matters. There's nothing wrong with buying something and flipping it. Property, cars, gold, you name it, you buy from a middle man all the time who bought it cheaper and sold it to you for a mark up.....What you thought the grocery store grew the food or Wal-Mart made the items you thought you so frugally bought. No...they bought it from someone else, marked it up and sold it to you......It's the American way! As long as no one is cheated, stolen from, or any other under handed way of acquiring stuff, and the seller and the buyer agree, we've got free enterprise, we've got TV shows and we've got buyers and sellers that help support our hobby in the same way. Pull the tips and knowlege from these shows to make you more informed (and a little entertained) and all the better collector of what it is that you do and you may even find youself along the way buying something that you know you can sell at a profit to help fund your own madness!

........Dave
lordparaffin #208527 Tue Oct 19 2010 07:56 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I’m sure he does nice work and power to him for getting a show like this but it’s a shame to see he had to sell out for the sake of good television. I won’t pass judgment on the show until I see it…

But really, just what we needed, another show for our clueless co workers to bug us about, If someone at work asks if I saw pickers last week I might scream.

gmstuff #208536 Tue Oct 19 2010 08:17 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...it's a shame he had to sell out for the sake of BAD television...

Originally Posted By: gmstuff
But really, just what we needed, another show for our clueless co workers to bug us about, If someone at work asks if I saw pickers last week I might scream.

...word...

gulfiend! #208559 Tue Oct 19 2010 10:30 AM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
At first I just thought that the Pawn Stars guys brought in a 39 and then that Rick guy said here ya go. A little switch-a-roo for TV sakes is almost expected (unfortunately).
But the way he went into great detail about how he resurrected the old frame and put all that neat stuff on that "39" frame was a blatant lie, if not fraud.
If you’re that good, then why lie?

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved