Oldgas.com Home  

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
ricksgirl #208791 Wed Oct 20 2010 04:18 PM
listen...all I can see is this...all these new antique,restoration,duplication, and fabricating shows is just making it easier for thieves to figure out what else to steal.Ive been robbed a couple of times in the past, and got lucky, all they took was my tv,radio,saw,gun, camera,blower, weed eater,vcr,dvd player,leather jacket,suitcase,drill,air compressor,and a few killer cd's. Its a good thing they didnt know at the time that any of my collection was worth anything, or Id be out of luck...I liked it better when people looked at it as old junk,and not some priceless treasure that they cant wait to get there hands on..i suggest turning off the tv,puttin' in a really good security system,loading up the shot gun, and wait for the "pickin"cause believe me, its coming!

Always looking for good Pure stuff, dude...
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
The Brain #208801 Wed Oct 20 2010 04:51 PM
M
M
[quote=i suggest turning off the tv,puttin' in a really good security system,loading up the shot gun, and wait for the "pickin"cause believe me, its coming! [/quote] the guns are loaded and the sheperd just went on ambush for the night.

The Brain #208802 Wed Oct 20 2010 05:03 PM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Originally Posted By: The Brain
listen...all I can see is this...all these new antique,restoration,duplication, and fabricating shows is just making it easier for thieves to figure out what else to steal.Ive been robbed a couple of times in the past, and got lucky, all they took was my tv,radio,saw,gun, camera,blower, weed eater,vcr,dvd player,leather jacket,suitcase,drill,air compressor,and a few killer cd's. Its a good thing they didnt know at the time that any of my collection was worth anything, or Id be out of luck...I liked it better when people looked at it as old junk,and not some priceless treasure that they cant wait to get there hands on..i suggest turning off the tv,puttin' in a really good security system,loading up the shot gun, and wait for the "pickin"cause believe me, its coming!

One of the reasons I don't put any "junk" in front of the house or where it could be visible from the street. The only two pieces I have in front is a fire hydrant and a 30s Wedgewood stove. Both will require a few guys to move and will take time to load. By that time, my neighbors will call the cops.

badgas #208804 Wed Oct 20 2010 05:22 PM
LISTEN...I DONT HAVE MY JUNK OUT IN FRONT OF MY PLACE EITHER...IM TALKING ABOUT THIEVES...THIEVES DONT CARE WHATS OUTSIDE. THEY BREAK IN YOUR HOUSE,SHOP,STORE,SHED,ETC...ONCE THEY GET IN AND SEE ALL THE GOODIES...ITS CHRISTMAS TIME, AND ALL YOUR GONNA THINK ABOUT ARE THOSE "FRUIT CAKES" ON TV TALKING ABOUT HOW MUCH ALL THIS "JUNK" IS WORTH.

Always looking for good Pure stuff, dude...
The Brain #208817 Wed Oct 20 2010 06:14 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Well after all this talk can't wait on new show good luck Rick .The old saying goes if you don't make any noise no one will hear you. Any shows that promote restoration (as high is scrap metal is today) is great for the hobby.

Remember you are only as good as your help
If you don't make any noise no one will hear you!
coheley5 #208821 Wed Oct 20 2010 06:36 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Promotion of our hobby to mainstream America is a detriment, on many different levels.

gasmelincelr #208825 Wed Oct 20 2010 06:57 PM
V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
WOW! This topic has all of you gassers really worked up! I can see good points on both sides of the issue, but maybe everyone should crack a beer or have a smoke or do their yoga (DB?) or whatever chills them out.
If what some say he did is true, its wrong, but we don't know the circumstances. I'm not condoning it, but I will check out Rick's show and see how he handles himself. I have made a mistake or two, and am willing to give him another chance.
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
Seth Robbins #208828 Wed Oct 20 2010 07:01 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Now, Danielle on the other hand... I like that one !!!!! That's what we all need is a little DAnielle !!!! OOOOwwwwoooohhhhhhhhh!!! Cookin with Gas !!!!!

BBQ Chicken #208833 Wed Oct 20 2010 08:02 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Danielle has been swallowing to many seeds !
It's CRAZY what some will do in front of a TV camera &/or for Money.

Dick Bennett #208874 Thu Oct 21 2010 06:19 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I had the local TV station come out to my house and when we filmed a Tokheim 300, Wayne 100, and G&B 177, I ended up with a Tokheim 36B, a Wayne 60, and a Roman!!! TV land is GREAT! Brady

The Brain #208875 Thu Oct 21 2010 06:26 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
..i suggest turning off the tv,puttin' in a really good security system,loading up the shot gun

I'm saving up for a AR-15, but a couple of good size dogs, don't even have to be mean, are a good deterrent.

What has happened to integrity? It's not always about me, society would be much better off if individuals put others before themselves and ask, "is what I'm doing hurting someone else in some form or fashion?" Just imagine!

CircaDesigns Looking for early AMOCO and SUNOCO items.
CircaDesigns #208876 Thu Oct 21 2010 07:37 AM
C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
The thing that I'm sure will drive me crazy about this show, just like Pickers, is that they will completely inflate the value of things to make it sound like they just scored huge, and that will thus make every person with a rusted out Gilbarco 996 think that it's worth $2,000. Like the time when they bought that sawed in half shell sign without the other half and said they could get $120 for it or whatever. I would have had to be given that thing for free to even consider hauling it home and even then I probably would have left it. I think most other people would have done the same.

Those shows do get me juiced up to go find stuff, but I have a love/hate relationship with them. I feel like in the end what they'll accomplish is making what stuff IS left out there end up rusting away to nothing while its owner awaits their big payday that will never come.

chrisbowers #208891 Thu Oct 21 2010 09:41 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I always enjoy these "philisophical" discussions. Anytime you have a program or someting that brings attention to something it always brings unintended consequesnces. Like DB said, someone did a story and he got some phone calls. That was a good consequence. Shows like American Pickers, or Ebay brings items out of the wood work. Again, a good consequence. If people ask more money because of these shows or if too many things on ebay drives the prices down (if you are selling) that is a negative consequence.

I do get a kick out of some of the comments heres aying this will just "raise the price." I read these and wonder if people are saying it will cost "me" more. I.E. I won't be able to buy that Wayne 60 for $50 anymore from the farmer who has no idea the value of something.LOL. I am not pointing fingers, heck, if someone offerred me a Wayne 60 for $50 I would probably knock my mom down if she got in my way to get there. On the other hand...are we being as ethical as we could be? I think there is a fine line between geting a bargin and taking advantage of someone. And we can always justify it by saying, "They set the price."

If people who see these shows think they have gold..all we can do is explain what it is worth, what it costs to resotre and go from there.

I will now duck and run for cover. LOL

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Alex #208903 Thu Oct 21 2010 12:12 PM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Alex, Well said. Life is way too short to "sweat the small stuff". I can try to educate just about anyone on the reality of what this stuff is worth. If they are unreceptive, I'll smile and move on.....remember...."It's all small stuff". Paul www.severngaspumps.com

CircaDesigns #208904 Thu Oct 21 2010 12:15 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: CircaDesigns
..i suggest turning off the tv,puttin' in a really good security system,loading up the shot gun

I'm saving up for a AR-15, but a couple of good size dogs, don't even have to be mean, are a good deterrent.

What has happened to integrity? It's not always about me, society would be much better off if individuals put others before themselves and ask, "is what I'm doing hurting someone else in some form or fashion?" Just imagine!

I TOLD A OLD GASSER WHO BOUGHT ONE OF MY SIGNS, I HAD SECURITY ON HIS SIGN UNTIL HE PICKED IT UP,"LITERALLY" I HAVE 3 MIKE VICK'S ON OUR PROPERTY....LOL.................AWWWWWWW MANNNNNNNN THEY ARE A GREAT DETERRENT, I WISH SOMEBODY WOULD.............WE CAN SHOOT IN TEXAS....."LEGALLY"....PRIVATE PROPERTY IS EXACTLY THAT....I KNOW THE DOMAIN ABUSE LAW'S VARY PER STATE,BUT THE WAY I SEE IT IF SOMEONE IS UNLAWFULLY ON YOUR PROPERTY ,I'M NOT WORRIED ABOUT MY POSSESSIONS ,I'M NOW CONCERNED ABOUT MY FAMILY'S SAFETY ,IN MY EYE'S "MY LIFE & FAMILY'S LIFE" IS IN DANGER!I'M ALWAYS PROTECTED "LEGALLY" IN MY TRUCK,OFFICE & MY HOME,YOU HAVE TO BE THESE DAYS! IT'S BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY!

_1.jpg
Last edited by DIESEL; Thu Oct 21 2010 12:17 PM.

CHRIS
BUYING ANYTHING EARLY HUMBLE OIL CO.
BUY SELL TRADE ORIGINAL GAS PUMP PARTS
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved