Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Dick Bennett #209409 Mon Oct 25 2010 04:38 AM
M
M
thats funny dick!what can you expect from a guy who cant figure out he has a bowser when it has the bowser name on the face of the pump. JMO. marty

marty's #209415 Mon Oct 25 2010 05:49 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You know we help these newbies here with all their questions. What's if worth ? That's all they care about. And then you try to tell em. And you pm the guy and make a fair offer on the pump plates and he tell me he will sell them to me and send some close up pictures so I can decide what condition they are after gets back from church never heard any thing else from him and then he puts them on ebay. We should at least get a shot at some of this stuff with these guys. Just got stabbed in the back not even a thank you.

HI-OCTANE #209420 Mon Oct 25 2010 06:12 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Let's keep this in mind... you also have guys on this site that i would guessed offered $250 for the pump with the signs so he goes to ebay to sell and get what market is doing.
Now why he would end it? Maybe someone offered him $1000 for it?

The thing is he had peoples interest from oldgas where he came for info. and then never cared about any of us after that.
What a guy does with his stuff is his to do with... but how he treats people in the process is what's not right!

Last edited by Jarvis; Mon Oct 25 2010 06:13 AM.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Jarvis #209422 Mon Oct 25 2010 06:34 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
On the flip side if you start shunning people when they look here first it seems like your shooting your self in the foot. Ya win some ya loose some. It's nice this site is here to attract people that have found things, and want values on. You certanly wouldnt want to post a warning on the home page telling people not to ask questions if your going to be gready about it.

hillsideshortleg #209424 Mon Oct 25 2010 06:55 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Well it's nice to see what these guys are out there finding. And then come here for advice and tell them what to do with it and how they can get more money for it. I did not low ball him on those pump plates. He told me he did not want to deal with ebay. He could have at least told me he changed his mind or come back with a counter offer or something. Money changes every thing in people minds.

HI-OCTANE #209430 Mon Oct 25 2010 07:24 AM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
It's obvious he's not a collector and that he had no interest in becoming one.

It was strictly business for him. He got a good offer and took it.

And...in regard to ending ebay auctions early we've argued that one for years, we have members on both sides of that argument.

I say the site worked quite well, someone that didn't know anything about gas pumps got some good intel and they made their own decision about their items. Usually the complainers are the ones that couldn't/didn't strike a deal.

Cold Pizza #209446 Mon Oct 25 2010 08:14 AM
Originally Posted By: coldpizza

You told me repeatedly to "just bid" when I asked you how much for the pumps and said you'd let the auction determine their true value.

I have heard this from more than one person.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

kcroucher #209517 Mon Oct 25 2010 03:00 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Interesting discussion.Many valid points have been brought up.I think the most valid points for self evaluation are JJ's first sentence and Ohio Oil's last sentence.

I think those thoughts speak volumes about the current status of many in the hobby."I'm in it for a buck".You know,I actually told another collector,"if all it is is about money,then I'm in the wrong hobby".Just something to think about.

Old Iron #209524 Mon Oct 25 2010 03:29 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
We (the members of Oldgas) have been through this many times before. Thankfully it doesn't seem to happen as often as it did a few years ago. A couple of years ago after getting burned a few times, a lot of the more knowledgeable members wouldn't answer questions. Hopefully it won't be that way again, but if it does, I for one will understand completely.

I'm not sure how many are in this hobby, but each collector is an individual and as such has their own reasons for being in the hobby. None of these reasons are "right or wrong". For a reason to be considered right or wrong, someone would have to have the power over all collectors to decide what the acceptable reasons,are.

Some people have been collecting for decades, others will start collections right now, some are in the middle and some will end their collecting. None of these people have to defend their reasons for collecting to anyone. I for one like it that way.

Sometimes that works out well for me, other times I get frustrated and angry.

I remember that many times I irritate some in the hobby while hopefully most of the time I am a credit to myself and to the hobby.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Old Iron #209618 Tue Oct 26 2010 07:11 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Old Iron
I think the most valid points for self evaluation are JJ's first sentence and Ohio Oil's last sentence.

...I completely agree...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved