Print Thread
#20965 Wed Jan 25 2006 03:04 PM
M
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
M
Guys,
Just got an email from supposedly an ebay member with a question.

The only way to legitamately respond to this is to click on the yellow "respond now" button. That's what you do on real ebay member questions.

It did not have a auction number but said something like "when should I send it> John T."

I looked up the member name on ebay (seperately)they didnt exist.

I'm assuming the way this works is that you respond with the yellow button in the fake email, then "login" to ebay with your name and password-which is then "harvested" by this email sender.
Watch out!
Mark

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#20966 Wed Jan 25 2006 03:07 PM
M
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
M
another giveaway was that it didnt show up on "My messages" on ebay as well as in my email.

#20967 Wed Jan 25 2006 05:44 PM
Mark is right. Never, ever click on a button or a link in an email message when the link takes you to a place that asks for a password. They are easy for a scammer to make it look like you are going to a familiar place, while you actually go to the scammer's trap.

If you get a "message from an eBay member" just go to your My eBay page by way of a trusted link you have bookmarked. Any legitimate message will be there. Forward suspected scam email messages (with expanded headers) to spoof@ebay.com.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
#20968 Thu Jan 26 2006 01:11 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You'd figure if ebay gave a poo, they wouldn't send out emails with a button you click, that leads to a password page.

Ebay always says to log into ebay by going to www.ebay.com and never from a link.

But then they go and send emails with "respond now" buttons. It just encourages these scammers...

Wes

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved