Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
H
OP Offline
H
Hi All,
I have a 1957 Bennett Model 700 series I would like to redo for the rec room. I would like to make a display case out of it for some items I have collected through the years.
How do I go about doing this? Is there a company that sells a replacement door frame that's mainly glass? Do they make brackets for the glass shelves etc?

Thanking you for your knowledge in advance!
Don
Ontario

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
R
R
Don,

Welcome. One thing that would help you get a few suggestions would be if you could post a pic of the pump. I have a 700 myself but never seen one done as a display. Maybe some of the more knowledgeable gassers will help you out on this one.

Good Luck

Phil
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
WELL...................LET'S SEE...1ST....REMOVE ALL SKIN'S "DOOR'S" STARTING WITH YOUR DOOR'S THAT SWING OPEN,THERE'S A ACCESS DOOR ON THE SIDE OF THE PUMP THAT YOU CAN REACH INTO ,AND LOOK FOR HANDEL TO PULL AND POP DOOR OPEN,DO THIS ON BOTH DOOR'S,YOU MIGHT NEED A FLASH LIGHT TO SEE WHATS GOING ON & WHAT YOUR NEEDING TO LOOK FOR,AFTER POPPING DOORS REMOVE ALL 4 HINGES ,AND TAKE NOTES MEANWHILE ,WRITE STUFF DOWN OR PHOTOGRAPH IF THATS EASIER,NEXT REMOVE THE THE TOP,SOMETIMES ON THESE 700'S THIS CAN BE DIFFICULT ,THE TOP MAY HAVE SCREWS ATTACHING IT TO THE SIDE DOOR'S/EITHER WAY "GET ER' DONE & REMOVE" NOW FOR SIDE DOORS ,OK REMOVE YOUR RESET HANDEL ON THE SIDE OF PUMP,SHOULD BE A TINY HEX HEAD OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT,REMOVE AND THREAD THAT LITTLE BUGGER BACK INTO HANDEL,"SO YOU DO NOT LOOSE IT" I'M TRYING MENTALLY VISUALIZE THIS AT THE OFFICE,BUT YOU PROBABLY GONNA HAVE SOME OTHER TRIM PIECES ON SIDE DOORS YOU WILL NEED TO TAKE OFF,,,,ANYWAYS AGAIN GET ER DONE & GET THE SIDE DOORS OFF THE FRAME,NOW YOU SHOULD BE LOOKING AT A BUNCH OFF STUFF YOU HAVE NEVER SEEN BEFORE IN YOUR ENTIRE LIFE,,,THE COMPUTER THE THING THAT HAS NUMBERS ON IT THAT CALCULATES THE GALLONS & PRICE,THAT IS A VEEDER ROOT ,OR COMMONLY CALLED A COMPUTER,IT SHOULD HAVE PORCELAIN FACES ATTACHED TO IT THAT SAY BENNETT,JUST LEAVE THE COMP. ALONE FOR NOW,BUT EVERYTHING BELOW IT CAN BE REMOVED, BUT 1ST THAT COMP,WILL HAVE A ROUND SHAPED CAN AT BOTTOM,IF EXPOSED IT WILL LOOK LIKE A BUNCH OF GEARS ,THAT IS ATTACHED TO THE COMP,DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REMOVE THAT.....IM REFERRING TO EVERYTHING BELOW THAT ROUND CAN....THE PUMPING UNITS! IF YOU HAVE A RECIPROCATING SAW "KEY SAW" METAL BLADE,THIS WILL COME IN HANDY WHILE DROPPING PUMPING UNITS,YOU WILL FIGURE IT ALL OUT ONCE YOU ROLL YOUR SLEEVES UP AND GET TO WORK,AS TO WHY YOU NEED THE SAW!IF THE FRAME HAS A TON OF BUILD UP "GREASE/GAS/DIRT/GRIME",USE A HEAVY DETERGENT DE-GREASER AND PRESSURE WASH ,THAT'S WHAT I DO,YOUR COMPUTER WILL HAVE A CAN AROUND IT TWO SIDES & A TOP,BUT DO NOT PRESSURE WASH COMP. YOU CAN CLEAN IT WITH SIMPLE GREEN,HOWEVER THE PRESSURE OF WATER COULD BEND PRICIER WHEEL'S ,THESE CAN BE BENT EASILY ,THEY ARE ALUMINUM,OK..............................NOW YOU ARE JUST NOW AT A STARTING POINT FOR WHATEVER.....I REMOVE RAILS FROM BASE & VEEDER ROOT & LIGHT MANIFOLD ALSO REPLACE ALL BOLTS AND REALLY GET INTO IT,BEING THAT YOU ARE CONSIDERING MAKING THIS A SHOWCASE PUMP,I WOULD PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO DETAIL,LIKE MENTIONED ABOVE,LOOK WHILE ITS BROKE DOWN LIKE THIS ,YOU MIGHT AS WELL DO IT RIGHT,IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A SAND/MEDIA BLASTER USE A WIRE BRUSH BIT FOR A DRILL AND CLEAN ALL REMAINING PARTS/FRAME/GAS MANIFOLD/EVERYTHING BUT THE COMPUTER,YOU WILL DO THIS TO PREP FOR PAINT,NOW FOR YOUR GAS MANIFOLD BE CAREFUL WHILE REMOVING BOLTS AROUND SIGHT GLASS AFTER REMOVING THE GLASS SHOULD BE STUCK TO MANIFOLD SO JUST GET A FLAT HEAD AND GO BETWEEN GLASS & MANIFOLD AND APPLY LITTLE PRESSURE AND IT WILL POP LOOSE JUST BE CAREFUL ,"IT'S GLASS" USE WOOL TO CLEAN GLASS #0000 WOOL OR EVEN GRITTIER TO GET ER DONE CLEAN UP AND SET ASIDE IN SAFE PLACE,SO BASICALLY YOU HAVE NOW CLEANED EVERYTHING UP AND REMOVED ALL GRIME ,NOW PRIMER AND PAINT TO YOUR CHOICE ,I DID NOT GO INTO DETAIL ON VEEDER ROOT /COMPUTER BECAUSE THATS LIKE OPENING A CAN OF WORMS,WHOLE OTHER TOPIC.......IF ANYTHING YOU COULD GET STICKERS FOR PRICIER WHEELS AND DO SOME LITTLE TOUCH UP BUT REMEMBER COMPUTER WILL NOT BE VISIBLE ,FACES WILL BE ATTACHED, NOW THE ROUND CAN AT BOTTOM CAN BE PAINTED A SILVER COLOR OR ALUMINUM LIKE COLOR /OR YOU COULD REMOVE CLEAN UP THEN SLAP BACK ON,ITS UP TO YOU,BUT HERE ARE SOME PIC'S OF WHAT I DID TO MINE! YOUR FRAME IS ANGEL IRON WITH TONS OF PRE- DRILLED HOLES IN THE SAME SPOT ON ALL 4 FRAME PIECES SO.............THINK ABOUT THAT FOR A SECOND.......SHELVES WOULD BE EASY.....YOUR DOORS YOU WILL HAVE TO FABRICATE........I HAVE NOT DONE THIS SO I WILL NOT SPEAK UP LIKE I KNOW HOW.....HOWEVER THERE ARE SOME FELLA'S ON THIS SIGHT THAT DEF....HAVE BEEN THROUGH THIS PROCESS........HOPEFULLY THEY WILL CHIME IN TO HELP ON THE FAB . PART ON DOORS.......BECAUSE THINKING ABOUT IT, YOU COULD GET CRAZY WITH FABRICATION ,,,,,IT SHOULD BE A FUN PROCESS....TAKE PLENTY OF PIC'S & ASK QUESTION'S THEIRS PLENTY OF EXPERIENCED GASSERS ON THIS FORM THAT WILL HELP YOU! i attached these pics to show you the detail I'm referring to,you can really get into it ,this was on a tokheim i restored! good luck & have fun with it ,and remember if you do not know.......ask!

_1.jpg _2.jpg _3.jpg _4.jpg

CHRIS
BUYING ANYTHING EARLY HUMBLE OIL CO.
BUY SELL TRADE ORIGINAL GAS PUMP PARTS
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Remove everything below the Veeder Root, mark opening in door & cut out. H rubber can be bought from most vendors listed on Home page & because doors have a slight curve I suggest using Acrylic in door panels. Glass should be used for shelving, rope lights work good in each corner. Shelf brackets can be bought @ most any hardware store.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Are you leaving the computer in or just want a big display case? Here is one a friend made for oil cans to go with his pumps. It is a Tokhiem 39. He streched the computer widow opening. It was alot of work but came out nice.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
By the time your pump was manufactured the pump companies were no longer makeing display pumps, so there is no one making anything that will help you.
It is your pump, do with it as you wish, pull out all the guts, put in a shelf, cut the doors, make a frame for the glass and add some lighting. Actually this is what many of us are doing with oil dispensers we find. Use your imagination, create something you like. Then find another pump and restore it back to what it looked like when it was new, then find another pump and........

It's addictive.

BTW, if you are looking for color ads, original color sales literature, or the parts manual (that was in the box with the pump when it was delivered new), check out my website: www.petrocollect.com
Just go to the GAS PUMP LITERATURE section.

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Wed Oct 27 2010 12:14 AM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
H
OP Offline
H
Thanks to all who responded!
I will be keeping the Computer in place and will fabricate the door to except glass. This a future project! I have 6 or 7 projects in line before this one. I was a licensed bodyman & Painter in a previous life, was just curious to what was available in the aftermarket for this type of project.

I'll send pics when complete
PS Just purchased the 2 new books today!
Would love an air pump!

Cheers,
Don

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
MATT PROVIDED A GREAT EXAMPLE OF A DISPLAY.......YOU MIGHT WANNA CONSIDER DROPPING THE VEEDER ROOT ASSUMING YOUR GONNA MAKE A DISPLAY CASE ,TAKE A LOOK AT THIS FRAME AND JUST PICTURE HOW MUCH ROOM YOU WOULD HAVE WITH THE COMPUTER PRESENT! "NOT MUCH SHELVE ROOM" OR YOU WOULD HAVE TO BE A MIDGET TO SEE INSIDE! THIS IS NOT THE EXACT PUMP BUT THEY ARE THE SAME SIZE PRETTY MUCH! ANYWAYS GOOD LUCK!

_1.jpg

CHRIS
BUYING ANYTHING EARLY HUMBLE OIL CO.
BUY SELL TRADE ORIGINAL GAS PUMP PARTS
H
OP Offline
H
What's the Veeder route? If it's the barrel at the bottom of the computer than I will be removing it, as well as that gold pipe that runs to the hose.
Is that Drywall corner bead your using or something stronger for the inside frame?..... pump looks nice, great job!

Thanks,
Don

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Veeder-Root is the thingy w/ all the gears & # wheels on it. LEAVE the bottom drum attached or top pat will have nothing to hold it up.
What you THINK is drywall corner is the FRAME of pump.
Leave the gold pipe in to stabilize the hose fitting [it won't show].

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Veeder-Root = mechanical computer.
The round bottom part is the Variator
the counter attached above is the Head

You can mount the face to the door and mount wheels to the faces on a 700 series

LOOK.....VINYL....LOL

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved