Oldgas.com Home

Home | Help | Events | Books | Pictures | Auctions | Links | Collectors | Parts | Contact

Topic Options
#211679 - Sun Nov 07 2010 01:04 PM Your thoughts on repainting an old tin sign
Craig Osbeck Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Portland Oregon
Picked up a couple old dealership neons that were painted from the thirtys or 40's. My problem is that you can't hardly read one side that was facing up or to the sun, and the other is just plain worn. DO I just repaint as I did to one of them on one side and leave the other or do nothing and then looks like nothing there for the neon. The other alternative is paint both sides in which I believe is a tough call because why not just get two pieces of new metal. Prices have really dropped for recoated porcelin signs or touched up, where as painted tin is a tough call now. Do not want to reduce the value of these. Any thoughts ?

Attachments
Image006.jpg

Image002.jpg

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#211682 - Sun Nov 07 2010 01:26 PM Re: Your thoughts on repainting an old tin sign [Re: Craig Osbeck]
Bob Richards Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Longview, WA
Craig, tin signs were repainted as needed "during their working lives". They were a proprietor's largest advertising outlet. They were repainted, re-lamped and a source of real pride for the owner.

I have no real knowledge of signs but, I find it hard to believe that a large dealer sign like yours wouldn't increase in price/value if repainted and "re-lamped". But that is just my opinion.

I think if it were mine, I would repaint one side, the worse of the two. That way people could still see the weathered "original" (no telling how many times it had been repainted while in use) side and also the way it would have looked when new.

Nice looking sign(s)!

Edited by Bob Richards (Sun Nov 07 2010 01:27 PM)

#211690 - Sun Nov 07 2010 03:24 PM Re: Your thoughts on repainting an old tin sign [Re: Bob Richards]
Blackout Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: MI, USA
[The other alternative is paint both sides in which I believe is a tough call because why not just get two pieces of new metal]

Think you just answered your own question there I would buy a sign in that condition before I would a restored one won't go there jm2c.
WTB. Erie 70 top,Arizona quarts,Indian signs/cans, Musgo/Shell/Speedway 79/Wolfs Head items,graphic signs/cans,#616-886-4917

#211714 - Sun Nov 07 2010 05:30 PM Re: Your thoughts on repainting an old tin sign [Re: Blackout]
r49th Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: clio, michigan usa
It kind of depends on what you plan to do with it. If you are keeping it and displaying it, you may want both sides re-painted. Especially after you hang it somewhere then wished you had done both sides. Take a bunch of before pictures to show the as found condition.
New metal? Nope. You'd be making a reproduction.

#211730 - Sun Nov 07 2010 06:23 PM Re: Your thoughts on repainting an old tin sign [Re: r49th]
philmccauley Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Bardstown, KY USA
I think I would paint the worst side.

#211804 - Sun Nov 07 2010 08:56 PM Re: Your thoughts on repainting an old tin sign [Re: philmccauley]
oldgoaly Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: So. Illinois
I agree with Phil, repaint the worst side, good side doesn't look bad. tt

#211851 - Mon Nov 08 2010 12:52 AM Re: Your thoughts on repainting an old tin sign [Re: oldgoaly]
archer2 Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Marshall Va USA
I'm with Bob, Phil, and oldgoaly. Repaint the worst side.

#211896 - Mon Nov 08 2010 09:03 AM Re: Your thoughts on repainting an old tin sign [Re: archer2]
Craig Osbeck Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Portland Oregon
Thanks, now I do not feel so bad.

Moderator:  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun, Watchdog9 

Click on magnifying glass icon on lower left to search eBay

Copyright © 2017 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved