Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#21238 Fri Jan 02 2009 10:17 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Kurt--I don't know how many are following this thread but I really appreciate the time you've taken to post all of this material. I intend to motorize at least one of my pumps and this will undoubtly save me a lot of time and frustration! Please post on how the new 30 rpm motor works out. Thanks-----KEVIN

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#21239 Fri Jan 02 2009 10:47 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
While you are waiting on the motor,
put on drop of oil on every place a shaft goes through the casting, gears, in the V-shaped notch on the wheel shafts, oil the linkage friction points, pinions between wheels,.....all those types of places on the HEAD. then reset a few times. Make sure to use some oil up in the planetary gears and all friction points in the VARIATOR.
The less friction you have in your computer
the less your motor has to work.

A locked up computer will not stop a meter, if the meter is working correctly.
The meter has so much torque that teeth will break on the meter or in the computer before it will stop the flow of fluid.
I have a bucket of range arm gears that are shreaded and am always in need of good cone gears...for some reason it is the 10ths range arm gear that seems to get shreaded.
That may be due to the fact that the planetary gears for the 10ths range arm are on top and the crud from the gears above get into the gear shafts and gum them up.

What amazes me still is that including the increment gears on the cone gear you have 21+ gears that all work together just to figure the price. The gallon wheels basically run straight off the meter through the variator and the gear on the top turns the gallon wheels(red cicle)...4 rev per gal....except BENNETT
All the gears in the variator calculate PRICE ONLY and the calculation is done before it reaches the gear in the blue circle.

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
#21240 Fri Jan 02 2009 10:58 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I prefer to answer stuff like this onsite when I have the time so that everyone can benefit from it. Copy it now 'cause I ain't writing no book!!!! And if you motorize it....oil it now and then, and disengage the totalizer.

Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
#21241 Fri Jan 02 2009 11:15 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The VR is a replaceable item that had to be changed out. The more it is used the faster it will wear out.

#21242 Sat Jan 03 2009 07:20 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Most of the "WEAR" I see on most computers are in the wheel pinions..Money/Gallon & totalizer.
The 2nd most are the two gears in the pic on top of the variator.
3rd is where the reset shaft goes through the head frame....no bushing there
Most other ailments are DAMAGE...broken gear teeth mainly or a part that failed.
The broken teeth mainly come from the planetary gears getting gummed up utill the unit gets stuck then when gas is called for the meter turns but the computer won't, so someting has to give.

Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
#21243 Sat Jan 03 2009 07:47 AM
K F H Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Kevin - Will keep you posted on how the 30 rpm motor works out. Grainger carries other motors but they were not synchronouse motors and I wasn't sure how loud they would sound when under load. While these little synchronouse motors might not be the strongest out there, they do run EXTREMELY quiet. This pump is in my basement. While it is just a novelty thing to motorize a pump...little kids get a kick out of watching it run and hearing the bell ding.Some big kids(me)like it also.

Joe - I appreciate you teaching V.R. 101.(lol). All kidding aside, you are a wealth of knowledge on these meters. By showing the photos highlighted by colored rings and rectangles, it gives a rookie, such as myself, a fighting chance to figure out the basic workings of the Veeder-Root. I don't think you have to worry about anyone reading this post giving you any competition on rebuilding computers!!!
I will definately oil/lube the decribed areas you mentioned.Thanks again for all your help and taking the time to post it here.

DB - Yes I agree the V.R. is a replaceable item. Most of the pumps I have found have had rebuilds in them. I know one thing for sure, if the V.R. I have ever need a total rebuid, it will end up on jkyocom's front door step.lol. While I appreciate a good challenge, frustration would soon set in on that project.

Kurt

#21244 Tue Jan 13 2009 02:06 PM
K F H Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I got the motor today and just finished installing it.Runs as smooth as ever. I REALLY like the speed the Veeder-Root wheels turn at 30rpm.

The motor I used was from Grainger. It list at $79.80. I realize it's pricey but it does run EXTREMELY quiet. I'm sure there are other suppliers on the net that offer these small gear motors if you wanted another source.

The Hurst motor was a 30 rpm with 4.8 in.-lbs of full load torque. The part number in Graingers on line catalog is 6A178.

I like the speed of the 30rpm much better than the 60rpm. Looks more realistic.

Thanks for all your info Joe. While I had the computer out, I lubed it and made sure the totalizer gears were disconnected. I hope the motor last a long time.

Hopefully I didn't bore everyone about this subject.

Kurt

#21245 Tue Jan 13 2009 04:15 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I bought these at a surplus machine shop with the intent of motorizing more VR's. I have done a few with similar motors. Approx. 30rpm ea. & very quiet. I'll take $25 for the small & $35 for Large, shipping included.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved