Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#215267 Fri Nov 26 2010 12:14 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Wondered if I can get some help as to whether this sign is real and what the value might be approximated at. Copyrighted 1937. "Baltimore enamel...New york??" or something like that wording in bottom right. "Property of quaker state refining company" in lower left 2 sided tombstone shape sign. One grommet missing. Heavy sign. Neighbor's brother has this for sale and just curious if it is worth buying. Thanks for the help in advance

sign1.jpg sign2.jpg sign3.jpg

Looking for early valvoline, freedom-valvoline, franklin pa items, Galena

KEVIN
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Looks real to me, but I'm not a "sign guy", per se. I've seen them on ebay sell from $50-$125* without a frame.

(* I don't watch signs all that much, so my pricing maybe way off)

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IMO price from estimate above is right on

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I've seen the painted ones bring that much and this is a very old porcelain sign with heavy shelving! I can't say as to a close value but I think it should be worth $250+. Its not perfect but its pretty darn nice!
Biggest thing is whether YOU like it or not! If you like it a lot and its reasonably priced, then buy it. Heck theres no postage involved if its in the neighborhood and thats worth a lot anymore!
If you decide not to buy it then send me an email and I'll try to buy it. I really like it! Good luck---KEVIN

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I would think it would be in the 200-250 range. I sold NOS tin Quaker State signs from the 80swith the stands on ebay for $100-$150.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Alex #215283 Fri Nov 26 2010 02:01 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I DEF HAVE TO AGREE WITH KEVIN AND ALEX ON THE PORC VERSION.

I HAVE SIGNS THAT ALSO HAVE THE BALTIMORE ENAMEL, NY ON THEM.

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Well,i do like it even though I like mobiloil stuff a bit more. Anyway, he is asking $175. I am gathering from your help, that is a pretty darn good price. I think I might bite on this one. So, for my own education, do all of these old signs have a copyright date on them somewhere? And, if it has writing on it as explained in my post, would that too be an indicator of it being genuine, or can't one go by that each time they look at a sign? Also, are the older ones steel with porcelain and thus why they are so heavy and is that too an indicator of a genuine sign? Sorry for all of the questions, but i really would like to know how to identify something as a fake or not. Thanks again for your input. I do appreciate it greatly!

KEVIN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That sign must weigh a ton looking at the size of the chain holding it up!
Mike

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Not all signs are copyright or dated. But that is a good indication that is real. A lot of old signs that were meant to be out in the element like this one that were used in stands and displayed on the sidewalk were heavy porcelain. Also alot tin signs were old too. It go's both ways. I'm sure there are other guys that can chime on this better than me.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That price is OK but not great. If you like Mobil stuff better why not wait until you find a nice Mobil sign?

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Probably the most common sign out there, You will find 5-6 at every show. $175. would be top dollar

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Quaker State & Pennzoil are the easiest signs to find. I'd look for the older one 1st.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
this one looks like the early version which is much heavier than the 50's version.........i would agree with lastgas15 & kz100....this sign will probably never go up in value however if all you want it for is display,thats fine.....i would also wait & buy something in better condition...this sign is very common & can be found in excellent condition however you'll pay more, but in the long run for common signs, its all about the condition if you ever sell it...

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Well, i did a search on ebay and found a bunch of these tombstone signs, thus, i didnt bite on it. I would rather have something less common and that darn red pegasus does it way better for me anyway! Thanks for the info on the date and weights. Sadly, my search on ebay seemed to reveal that the pegasus stuff is going to cost me more than $175 huh?

KEVIN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This is the older version that's worth a bit more.

072.JPG

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved