Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Jarvis #216048 Mon Nov 29 2010 07:28 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If an item is in my price range that I am willing to pay I will never walk away from it. I may try to negotiate some but I never walk away. I bought a 541 a couple months ago for $450 also. I asked him if that was his best price and he siad yes so I bought it. Then he tells me he knows of another one and I get first chance to buy it since I bought this one. Still waiting on that one.

Keith

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
keithia #216054 Mon Nov 29 2010 07:46 PM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
make me a offer, you will not insult me. If you offer 200 for a 500 item I will just say I can't go that low. Life is to short to get mad over a offer on a item.

keithia #216055 Mon Nov 29 2010 07:46 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sounds like you just insulted the guy and you thought you were going to pick up that pump dirt cheap. I think if I was the seller I would have done the same thing if you tried to low ball me like that. He probably knew more about the pumps value then you gave him credit for. He probably talked to the guy at antique store and got some kind of information about it. The same place you found out about it.

Jarvis #216085 Tue Nov 30 2010 01:00 AM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Roger,
I don't care what these guys are saying about you doing a bad deal and that you should have jumped on it. This is a buyer and seller market, he tells you what he wants, you tell him what you are willing to pay. Now, my next response is, somethere between these two prices is a place where we can both agree on.
Many purchases require negotiation, you just didn't get that far.
The only time I pay what the seller wants is when he has set a rediciouly low price.
You got to know when to hold them, know when to fold them, know when to walk away.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Jack Sim #216089 Tue Nov 30 2010 04:34 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Why does life have to be a big game, I am like Thunder, I set a reasonable price, you want it you buy it. I do the same when I am at a Show or Flea Market buying, If I like it I buy it, sometimes I may ask if they can do better, BUT I myself will never give an Insulting Lowball offer, I always put myself in the position of the buyer. Am I crazy ?, Could I buy things cheaper ? Who knows, But I feel good about myself after.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Jack Sim #216090 Tue Nov 30 2010 04:35 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
ALL OF US HAVE TRIED TO NEGOTIATE AT ONE TIME OR ANOTHER!! WIN OR LOSE.

collecting standard oil items
Tim Flannery
dodgeman60 #216095 Tue Nov 30 2010 05:54 AM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
In my opinion, You stereotyped the guy from the beginning!
That was your biggest mistake.
So what if he lives in a mobil home! Your NOT buying the mobil home? If he lived in a mansion would you have offered MORE money?
The guy in the mobil home probably has more money than any of us!
After beating the pump up you Low balled him? WOW!
I can see why he got angry!
If someone low balls me at a show, I tell them to grow some balls and come back and see me!(with a smile) smile LOL

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: tomzcollectiblez
If he lived in a mansion would you have offered MORE money?

...LOL...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
gulfiend! #216107 Tue Nov 30 2010 07:19 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I had a guy play with me on a used but expensive gate I was selling. He commited then proceded to play with me. After a while I told him the gate wasnt for sale any more. All the sudden the shoe was on the other foot. He didnt like it at all. I sold it to a guy who saw the value in the gate then traded the guy a $10.00 garage door opener for a Wayne 70. It felt good leaving the other guy in the dust. The richest guy on our road lives in a rat trap with junk all around him.Of course he owns a scrap metal yard in town. You know, a guy just has to drag it home.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jack,
So you're saying if someone needs a gas pump identification or air meter book they should try to negotiate a lower price from you? wink
Bob

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I would get angry too if you showed up at my place trying to lowball me and I can obviously tell you are better off financialy than I am. I would have considered it an insult if I was him.

Would it p*ss you off if Donald Trump tried to lowball you on a property you want to sell?....
This is in no means an attack on you, just my perspective on the situation.

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
jkyocom #216117 Tue Nov 30 2010 08:00 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hillside... love the avatar! Shidders full! Clark... how many squirrels are in that tree!
Sorry... i don't mean to get off topic.
Joe, better yet what if the state wanted to buy his house and low balled it?

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Jarvis #216126 Tue Nov 30 2010 08:16 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I live in a Mobile Home & have Pump Stuff in car port!
Ain't got no job, mortgage & '99 Dodge.
Shidders full! Clark.

Jarvis #216139 Tue Nov 30 2010 09:09 AM
R
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
R
I called last night and left voice mail, no reply yet. I would go back over but as remote as his place is Im sure theres a Winchester in closet. Im the most giving and honest guy you could find, but in this case I was out of character and lost out. Maybe it was ment to be with the pumps I still have to do now. Anyway, Dick I dont think it was me that offered you $2.00 for a $5.00 can, cause you would have had oil everywhere when you stomped it. I buy and collect only full cans. If I get a connection with this guy again over this "541" I will give him his $450 and let you all know.

Dick Bennett #216140 Tue Nov 30 2010 09:15 AM
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
I was selling a very nice MGA once and the guy asked to have it checked out. I agreed and his buddy who ownd a shop went over tha car and made a list. Of course the cost of the repairs was in the $3000 range and it all was bogus. The car was a steal at the $6000 I was asking as it was restored a couple of years previous. To make a long story short I took his list, bought all of the required parts to make the repairs... a whopping $75 worth of parts. Made the repairs in about an hour and a half. Called the guy up and offered him the car again. He said sure but what about the price. Told him all of the repairs were done per the list and he could have that car for the $6000 plus the $3000 in repairs I had to do for a total of $9000 and hung up. A guy flew in from Chicago a few days later to look at the car loved it but said I have to ask, what can you do on the price. I said buy it and I'll pay for your plane ticket. He laughed and said deal. Picked the car up about a month later and drove it back to Chicago. He was one happy buyer who to this day sends me a Christmas card with a picture of him and the car every year at a different location where he and his wife have gone on vacation in it.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved