Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I thnk i ma gettung dmber aftr reding al thsi

Scott Wright
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
powerlube #216187 Tue Nov 30 2010 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
THANKS for finding that OLD thread Bob, LOTS of good reading in it also.

powerlube #216193 Tue Nov 30 2010 03:43 PM
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
Bob,
I dont expect everyone to react like I do.

What I don't understand is WHY the people that do react that way, do.

Is the item tied to who they are and the price they are asking reflects part of them?

My question would be to the guy in the trailer-"what was the buyers offense to necessitate you hanging up on them and threatening the dump"? What did that accomplish for you? Getting back at the buyer? Do you do that with everyone you deal with?

What percentage of the asking price is considered an insult?

I'm just trying to understand peoples behavior.

marxmobilgas #216198 Tue Nov 30 2010 03:56 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
"I'm just trying to understand peoples behavior" in this day and age ,an impossible task,i'm afraid.

Last edited by oldnfuelish; Tue Nov 30 2010 03:57 PM.

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Roger Loupias #216199 Tue Nov 30 2010 03:57 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Why is it so important that you always get something at the lowest possible cost?Personally,I don't look at it that way.I'll pay what it takes to get what I want if it improves my collection.I won't do anything crazy,but I do pay what I think things are worth.

marxmobilgas #216202 Tue Nov 30 2010 04:03 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Mark,
I can't say why the owner of the pump acted the way he did. As someone that used to sell at swap meets I can tell you some "buyers" can really aggravate sellers. "I'll give ya..." will often get very different results than "will you take...".
15 or so years ago someone did a feature in Check The Oil about the different types of buyers he encountered at swap meets. He finished the article by relating a story of a buyer that made a lowball offer on a fairly priced decal he had for sale. He pulled out a dollar bill and handed it to the guy and told him to go away.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Lastgas15 #216207 Tue Nov 30 2010 04:25 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Mark, why do you have to understand, why people do what they do?

Just accept that we are all different, we react different to the same circumstances.

As to the percentage of people who would react negatively, quite a few here stated that there is a good chance they would be insulted. So I'm thinking that the percentage would surprise you.

As to "Is the item tied to who they are and the price they are asking reflects part of them?" Think about it, the answer for most people is a resounding YES!!!!!!

Someone makes a slight about your home, car, collection etc. don't you get offended? Most of the people I know do. It is YOUR item and someone may not like them or value them as much as you. But,that person doesn't have the right to disparage them.

I'm just guessing, since I don't know the seller/owner of pump nor do I know Roger. But, I think if Roger had really thought the asking price on the pump was too high, they might have been able to work out a deal.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Old Iron #216211 Tue Nov 30 2010 04:32 PM
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
"Why is it so important that you always get something at the lowest possible cost? ....but I do pay what I think things are worth."

Old Iron, that is exactly what I'm doing-paying what I think things are worth. Worth being a relative term.
What I think something is worth and what the seller thinks it's worth are different. Most of my friends wouldn't buy most of my stuff at any price. Especially my wife.

So that means I have a lot of "fair" condition items-that stay in the garage and not in the house.

I imagine you have some excellent items in your collection that you paid good money for. Many of the guys on here do-have collections of top quality stuff.

I just dont.
Mark

marxmobilgas #216216 Tue Nov 30 2010 04:50 PM
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
"Mark, why do you have to understand, why people do what they do?"

Bob it helps me deal with the next person better than the first.

"Just accept that we are all different, we react different to the same circumstances.

As to the percentage of people who would react negatively, quite a few here stated that there is a good chance they would be insulted. So I'm thinking that the percentage would surprise you.

As to "Is the item tied to who they are and the price they are asking reflects part of them?" Think about it, the answer for most people is a resounding YES!!!!!!

Someone makes a slight about your home, car, collection etc. don't you get offended? Most of the people I know do. It is YOUR item and someone may not like them or value them as much as you. But,that person doesn't have the right to disparage them."
Bob I would not get offended in those cases-I just laugh and agree with them. Yes I am suprised at the number of people who would be insulted. If I've insulted anyone here with any of my offers or business dealings, then please forgive me.
I just dont find myself that sensitive about such things.
I could understand personal attacks on my family/wife to illicit such behavior, but not on my stuff.

marxmobilgas #216218 Tue Nov 30 2010 04:53 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Mark, I wish I had your strength of character, I really do!

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Bob Richards #216230 Tue Nov 30 2010 05:21 PM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
I am also amazed at the amount of people who would be insulted. My mother once said it never hurts to ask as long as you are polite.

Roger Loupias #216235 Tue Nov 30 2010 05:40 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Mark,hang in there.Do it your way.It's your collection and your hobby to enjoy as you see fit.As to my collection,it is what it is.But I will guarentee you that it was assembled for my own enjoyment with little if any regard for what others thought.Go for it Mark!!Your way!!

Old Iron #216243 Tue Nov 30 2010 06:01 PM
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
Thanks guys. I'm not trying to stir up a hornets nest. I try to be polite with all my offers(I am trying to get that item.) and if they are asking $100, I would never offer $25.

The worst I can get is a no, ( or a $$^%^%&!!! you cheap %^%&&&!!!)
Mark

oldnfuelish #216246 Tue Nov 30 2010 06:07 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: oldnfuelish
call from a different phone!!

Are we trying to ***** him off now? LOL

Last edited by LOWright; Tue Nov 30 2010 06:55 PM.

Rare pumps, Chevrolet items, Goldon Tip Gasoline, Marathon (running man)
Cell # 1-502-396-3435 email lowright@aol.com
Roger Loupias #216248 Tue Nov 30 2010 06:19 PM
Hey Roger,

I'd call the guy one more time, tell him you thought it over, had a change of heart, really want to fix-up the old pump, and will offer him $500 (the $450 he wanted & $50 for his trouble). What's $50 to get what you want, learn a lesson, & patch-up the relationship.

Mike in Minny

I'm a former collector, turned Erickson/SA/Northwestern Refining Company/Holiday petroliana picker, for a member of the family.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved