Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
Stereotyping works both ways. I think it's just part of the game.

Many of us have lowered the offer or changed our mindset when we assumed the conditions would bare a lower offer. How many times have you been to an auction and the "rough" looking guy in the back blew your socks off?

But with this being said, I have had prices increased to me when sellers thought I would or was capable of paying more.

Just a few weeks ago I was traveling in rural Oklahoma in my company car and saw a 30" Aromax on a barn. Not great, maybe a 7.5 and I have an 8.5/9.0 but thought I had better stop b/c you never know and I was hoping there might be more in the barn. I opened up the conversation by saying "I'm sure you have had people stop before, but would you consider selling the sign" He replied "Yeah, 100's have stopped and offered but no one in a new Cadillac, so maybe you and I had better talk".

Collect small Oklahoma Oil Co.'s 1920's-1940's. Barnsdall, Cushing, Eason, Marland, etc.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
always took alot for me to be insulted until recently had a sunoco piece on here for sale for 1250. dropped it to 1100. after a little bit, then had a multi decade sunoco collector oldgasser offer me 100.00 shipped to him because him and a few buddys where in agreement I was asking 1k to much, what the **ll. someone low balls me like that they can go pound sand, btw sold a few days later for my asking price.

WTB. Arizona quarts,Indian signs/cans, Musgo/Shell/Speedway 79,graphic signs/cans,#616-886-4917...
okoil1 #216264 Tue Nov 30 2010 07:01 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
okoil hit the nail on the head. Judging people!

Story:
10 or 11 years ago me and the wife was going out to eat and i wanted to stop by this "older" guys house that deals in jukeboxes and 50's style stuff. He had an old unrestored gas pump sitting outside. Now in Nov 1999 i bought my first ever 2000 Chevy truck... which i still drive today... and pulled into his drive. Now again me and the wife was going out to eat on Friday night and was little dressed up. I got out of my truck and went up to the house to see if he was selling the gas pump. He invited me in... we chatted a bit while the wife was looking at the jukeboxes. He said "you look more like the type to be interested in fantasy shiny stuff... not an old rusted gas pump"
and that pizzed me off! My wife asked what this jukebox costs and he said $5000. What ever... i never went back to see him again. He judged me for driving a new truck and dressing nice. I guess i should have worn my old jeans and drove my old junk 1984 ford over there. LOL

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Jarvis #216269 Tue Nov 30 2010 07:18 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
i absolutely hate people who an dumb as an ox i have a fellow in town who is the the same way he has some nice gas pumps for restore nothing rare but nice old ones from 30's-50's an a few visables i went to his shop an asked what he was gonna do with them he said i was selling them i asked how much he said 4,000-8,000 each i laughed my a** off an he got ***** an said i dont give a rats a** if i sell um or not an i just walked walked out an left

Sarcasm Is Just One More Free Service I Offer !
Jarvis #216270 Tue Nov 30 2010 07:18 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I don't know how much complete 541s sell for as a rule in your area but I would have peeled off $450 so fast... Paid much more than that for one from a gasser but I lived too far away to inspect it. My mistake. My departed ex-father-in-law once told me that a deal is when two fools meet and agree--one on the sale price and one on the buy price. Had a gas dryer I was selling. Price was firm at $250.00. Guy said he understood that over the phone. Came over, looked the thing over with a fine toothed comb and his wife said $220.00. I yelled at them to get the h--l off my property and that I wouldn't sell it to them at any price because they wasted my time and didn't respect me since I told them it was $250.00.

jrwienri #216272 Tue Nov 30 2010 07:25 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: jrwienri
I was selling a very nice MGA once and the guy asked to have it checked out. I agreed and his buddy who ownd a shop went over tha car and made a list. Of course the cost of the repairs was in the $3000 range and it all was bogus. The car was a steal at the $6000 I was asking as it was restored a couple of years previous. To make a long story short I took his list, bought all of the required parts to make the repairs... a whopping $75 worth of parts. Made the repairs in about an hour and a half. Called the guy up and offered him the car again. He said sure but what about the price. Told him all of the repairs were done per the list and he could have that car for the $6000 plus the $3000 in repairs I had to do for a total of $9000 and hung up. A guy flew in from Chicago a few days later to look at the car loved it but said I have to ask, what can you do on the price. I said buy it and I'll pay for your plane ticket. He laughed and said deal. Picked the car up about a month later and drove it back to Chicago. He was one happy buyer who to this day sends me a Christmas card with a picture of him and the car every year at a different location where he and his wife have gone on vacation in it.

SIMILAR SITCH A COUPLE YEARS AGO WHEN I WAS SELLING MY '57 FORD T-BIRD. I HAD A LOCAL COME AND LOOK IT OVER. HE KNEW MY ASKING PRICE WAS $22K AND SPENT ABOUT AN HOUR LOOKING AT EVERY NOOK AND CRANNY, ASKING QUESTIONS AND WRITING DOWN EVERYTHING THE CAR NEEDED WHICH IN THE END (HE SAID) TOTALLED OVER $10K WHICH INCLUDED A NEW RAG TOP. POINT BLANK HE OFFERED ME $8K FOR THE CAR WHICH WAS 90% RESTORED AND HAD BEEN IN MANY SHOWS AND WON SEVERAL TROPHIES!
I BASICALLY SAID, NOT INTERESTED IN THE OFFER.

ABOUT A MONTH LATER I HAD A GUY COME IN AND LOOK AT THE CAR REMEMBERING DRIVING HIS DADS WHEN HE WAS A MUCH YOUNGER MAN. I TOLD HIM WHAT THE CAR WOULD NEED TO BE DRIVEABLE AFTER SITTING FOR 12 YEARS IN THE GARAGE. AGAIN, I MENTIONED THE $22K PRICE. HE WAS EXCITED AS WAS HIS WIFE. A FEW NIGHTS LATER, HE CALLED AND OFFERED ME
$15K. SO I SAID HOW ABOUT $20K? HE CAME BACK WITH $17K ME WITH $19K AND IT ENDED AT $18K. I KNEW THE CAR WAS GOING INTO GOOD OWNERSHIP AND I WAS SATISFIED WITH THAT NUMBER AND SO WAS HE. WE PLAYED THE GAME AND CAME TO A FIGURE WE WERE BOTH GOOD WITH....HECK, IT WAS $10K MORE THAN WHAT THE OTHER GUY WAS OFFERING WHICH WAS EQUAL TO HIS PARTS & LABOR LIST WHICH WAS QUITE INFLATED.

Last edited by THE AMERICAN GARAGE; Tue Nov 30 2010 08:11 PM. Reason: FORGOT SOME K'S LOL!

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
R
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
R
Mike, Ive left two voice mails and I know he wont return any by now, and to drive back over there may not be in my favor either he has an outside Chow with a bad attitude. I would offer him the $450 now but its too late, I do have the address and may try a postcard with my offer. After that Im thru and will use this experience as a future tool in buying. I know I torqued him with my offer but unlike the low ballers that find me for the pumps I totally restore from the ground up myself, his bennett has seen no effort by him to even make it look presentable for a sale. Thats my thought at this point. This posting of mine has really sparked some feed backs. It touches home to all of us in a way.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Quote:
IT WAS $10 MORE THAN WHAT THE OTHER GUY WAS OFFERING

LOL
Doc has Dyslexia of the fingers Also! LOL

Dick Bennett #216310 Tue Nov 30 2010 10:45 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I have been picking since before most of you were born. In 1958 I was in a barn in northern Pennsylvania trying to buy a 1929 Henderson bike. He didn't take my offer. A couple of months later I was in a ladies basement in Philadelphia looking at a 1916 Harley, she took my offer of $30.00.
There is no thing such as low-balling. You make an offer, he either accepts it or takes it. If he doesn't take it, move on, there will be something you can find tomorrow that is probably a better thing to buy.
You guys make it sound like he is buying the last 541 ever to be found. I once found five of them laying on the ground at a bulk plant, went to the owner and asked him what he was going to do with them (I never ask if anything is for sale). He said, if you want the damm things take them, and get the pumps that are in the building also. Then he goes into a closet behind his desk, brings out a Sinclair globe and says, take this too.
I don't look at this as a game, this is for real, when I make an offer for an ECO meter the offer is based on how many I have purchased in the last few months, how much money is in the bank and how much money do I owe. Just this summer I pruchased four in four weeks, when the fifth was offered to me I made a low bid because I didn't care if I got it or not. He didn't take my offer, so I just moved on. I didn't low ball him, I just made an offer.
Bob (Lastgas).
Please take a look at either of my books. On the cover it states Illustrated "GUIDE." No where in the books does it state that the prices are firm. And when you get down to it, can anyone who has bought one of my books feel that the price they paid was a waste. You negotiate on a $500 gas pump, but having a book in your hand that gives you some information about the pump is not worth $25-$30.00. Anyone who feels that they got taken by buying one of my books can send it back to me (if you bought it from me) and I will refund your money. What other author ever made that offer?
Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Jack Sim #216314 Tue Nov 30 2010 11:09 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jack,
I never commented on the value of your books. In a previous post you had said "The only time I pay what the seller wants is when he has set a rediciouly low price."
Since you said you don't pay what the seller is asking unless his price is ridiculously low I was jokingly asking if you thought book buyers should try to negotiate a lower price from you. The wink was the tip off that I was just joking with you.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Lastgas15 #216319 Wed Dec 01 2010 04:46 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hey Jack, I've got tons of books already, But seeing you have one available, I'll give you $6.00 if you ship it to me. I could use it for shim

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
KZ1000 #216331 Wed Dec 01 2010 06:16 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...I'll start by saying that this isn't directed at anyone in particular...so if you get offended, maybe you have a guilty conscience...

...let's look at this from the seller's point of view for a minute...maybe, just for the sake of argument, he lives in a "beater mobile home" on "run down property" because that's all he can afford...so, he lists a gas pump for sale, there's someone who appears seriously interested in it...the seller might very well be counting his chickens before they hatch, anticipating a minor windfall...maybe, just maybe, he needed $450 for something important - rent, perhaps?...and along comes someone who probably looks a lot more well-off than himself - who, to judge by his appearance, can well afford $450 to buy something as trivial as an old rusted gas pump...and that person decides to try and take advantage of the seller's apparent dire financial situation by offering him 66% of his asking price...

...I've had it happen to me...delivered for free (150 mile round trip) a Bennett 746 that was straight, complete and had some surface rust...the price was agreed on...when I got there the $*&%@# low-balled me...I was in college and had to make the rent, so I had to sell it to him...I haven't had to deal with him since, thankfully...

...you see scenes in old movies where someone down on their luck goes to sell the last thing of value that they own, and get a ridiculously low offer, but have to take it, due to their desperate circumstances?...who in that scene do you empathize with?...are you thinking, 'wow that guy got a great deal', or 'that poor shmoe had to sell his Dad's gold watch'?...

...do you identify with Scrooge or Bob Cratchit?

Last edited by gulfiend!; Wed Dec 01 2010 06:38 AM. Reason: for some reason, my colorful phrase wasn't blocked...?

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
gulfiend! #216339 Wed Dec 01 2010 07:13 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Remember it was an antique dealer who gave him the lead to send him to his house. I am sure the antique dealer told him what he thought it was worth? Maybe the antique dealer told him it was worth $650 if it was in his store so the guy thought in reality it was worth $450? The old guy in the mobile home maybe contacted the antique dealer to see if he wanted to buy it?

You just never know...

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Jarvis #216347 Wed Dec 01 2010 07:29 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
MAYBE THE ANTIQUE DEALER IS COUNTING ON THE OTHER 34% OF THE PRICE AS A FINDERS FEE! LOL!

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE
MAYBE THE ANTIQUE DEALER IS COUNTING ON THE OTHER 34% OF THE PRICE AS A FINDERS FEE! LOL!

if you treat people fair when buying they just might call you again when they get something great....i have paid more than i have wanted to many times and usually don't regret it & it shows on my for sale prices, however if you don't like the prices, just make me an offer you won't hurt my feelings, i know it will sell eventually......

thats another part of this equation, the antique store owner....i think he deserves a finders fee, i paid out over $400 finders fees this Novemeber when i didn't have to.. but they will keep calling......

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved