Print Thread
#217281 Mon Dec 06 2010 08:19 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Here is the link.
http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-SHELL-OIL-GA...=item3a612c3d03

Here is what I said to the seller.
I don't know what you think you have but it's a reproduction. You say how many do you see exactly like this on ebay. Well check this out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SHELL-GAS-12-PORCELAIN-GAS-PUMP-SIGN-FREE-USA-SHIPPING_W0QQitemZ400072267750QQcategoryZ40QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D5459398967846500450

Same thing without the fake marks on the back.
I am listing your auction on this link which informs others that there are fakes like yours out there. Regards concerned ebay user.

Does this guy really think marks can appear on the back because the front faces a building? What the heck are you thinking dude.
Ted

Ted Pam Ethyl & Polly Roach
Lodi CA.
209-210-8971
Looking for Signal, Hancock, Mohawk, Douglas, Gilmore and Richfield
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Quick response from seller!!!!

You are wrong. Had a local expert look at it in person and he stated it was real..Not made of cheap new tin. Thick porcelain with "brass" grommets. all indicative of the period I state.. So go f%#k yourself with your threats!

My response!!!

They are not threats and the link I gave you is a porcelain reproduction but I can tell from your attitude you don't care and are not open to any advise. Sorry you get so angry. Remain calm you will longer. Regards concerned ebay member.

Lodi CA.
209-210-8971
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Another response from seller. This is why I usually just let it go. The seller is obviously mentally unstable IMO. Collectors need to be well informed and this seller just wants me to go away. I'm done so if anyone else wants to jump in there be my guest.

The response: If it turns out you are defaming me I will press charges.. Your attitude sucks! You can inform people without idle threats. I know of no reproducer that makes modern repros of thick porcelain with brass grommets? I had a local dealer inspect it and went off what he said. There is no dishonesty on my part and you have you

If you check his feedback he has had problems with selling a repop Ford sign at one time.
Ted

Last edited by Signal Gas & Oil; Mon Dec 06 2010 09:33 AM.

Lodi CA.
209-210-8971
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
The guy is like the Ever Ready bunny just keeps going. Yet another reply.

Facts: !)Has brass pressed grommets, 2) is not 12" x 12" as the repro's state.. It is clearly short of that (approx. 11 7/8"). If I didn't care I wouldn't have responded, trust me! I have contacted my local antique dealer and we went over it again, and he told me to bring it by and he'll take a second look at it, but is quite sure of his assessment, he said. Question: Do you know of repro's like this that DO NOT, measure 12" x 12" and have pressed brass grommets?

Lodi CA.
209-210-8971
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Done! We'll see what happens.

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
His reply--If it is a repro please provide proof.. The facts are it is not 12" as all repro's I have seen are. It has the brass, not newer aluminum pressed grommets, again as the new ones have.. Proof is what I need, not just a statement. Thanks

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I contacted him too, Ted. I also informed him his sign is a repop. The reason I know is sitting on my desk next to me, I got stuck with one of these thinking if was original. Thankfully I didn't pay much for it, because the paint had been "touched up". It has the time period correct press in brass grommets also.

I sent him my email and phone # if he wants to contact me and we can compare notes on these plates.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
He has ended the auction.

Bill Fortune
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Another reply and I have not said another word. Looks like he is getting pressure. Thanks for the help on this one. Ted

Reply:You're not bothering me, but I've looked at the sites you've stated and we are going round and round..Their repro's are quoted as 12", mine is just a hair over 11 3/4". The grommets are a silver color, which is aluminum best I can tell, not brass.. Repro's tend to be exact sizes, ie, 12", not 11 7/8". So, I'm still not convinced..All I can do is guarantee it or money back until I see "exactly" the one I have being stated as a repro.. I have 700 feedbacks (over 1200 transactions) and I'm not some fly by night trying to make a quick score. If I am wrong, with appropriate proof being provided, I will end my auction.. Simple as that. Thanks

Does anyone see silver grommets in his pump plate because my old eyes see brass? MY 2 cents

Lodi CA.
209-210-8971
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
ENDED I guess the pressure did it. Another one for the Old Gas guys. Ted

Lodi CA.
209-210-8971
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Happy Birthday, Bill

Instead of contacting me, when I told him I could give him proof about his sign. His answer to my email was a question mark.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved