Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I usually do not comment on these discussions however Jim said it well: don't get pushed into anything you can't afford. My recent light purchase just proved that point. With ebay things which once were thought to be rare ... is like a train or bus wait a week and another one will be along. Yes even the "rare" item though it might take a bit longer. Believe me I see things, especially with todays economy ending fairly cheap and often think to myself that I could buy it and resell it - but where would i sell it - on ebay where it just was. Then why didn't someone bid higher. And I know darn well I can't afford to sit on it until the economy gets better. So the more power to him thinking that he can buy something on ebay and resell it so quickly and make money on it - which is why he thinks the assisted bidding thing works in his favor. For as many times as his auctions ends without meeting the reserve I don't see how with the listing fees he makes any money in the end (course I was talking about the old days when ebay charged a listing fee - unlike today's which are free cause they are feeling the pinch too.) Is it wrong.. yes but as long as you only pay what you are willing to then whom is it hurting. I can not stress the patience thing enough. For 99.8% of the items on ebay there WILL be another one. John

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I had seen these items as well, and was quite impressed, i wish mine were that hot of an item!!!! but yeah that thousands in hours

LUCKY'S LONESTAR GAS & OIL

««Looking for the Sinclair Mobiline and Pennsylvania Motor Oil Vertical Signs
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
I like being both ! ( Collector and Seller )...

Wes.......
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
wow, i also just recieved hate email & threatning phone call regarding this thread, ..ouch, that really hurt.... LOL LOL

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Darryl--Really? I don't get it? Everyone in the world has differing opinions on the way things should be done and thats the nice thing about this forum. I don't always agree with posters, but I try to keep an open mind and look at things from others viewpoints! I always feel that the more information available, makes for a more informed decision regarding any subject!
I just don't think theres any place for threats in this subject or any other for that matter!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
I looked at the percentages of bids each bidder has had with that seller. I see several High percentages.......30%, 41%, 50%......and so many more. To me that says SCHILL!!!!!!!!! Hell one I found was 57% and all his bids are in three fields only......Gas, soda and only one car. The last bid he did is on a car that has just over 4 days left on it. Miraculously someone has a car for sale and the price in one day has gone up almost $50, 000. So you do the math!

Mike
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You guys sound like your having more fun than me, wish i would get some threats once in a while. Would anyone like to clue me in on why someone would pay 580 for a stop sign???

I used to think this guy got premium prices because he put out such a great book. Thought some people might think a sign purchased from him could appear in the pages of a new book???

see me at Mason Dixon Gas, Spring Carlisle M114-115, and Hershey C4E-35.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You guys have schooled me on this fellow before. Anyone remember the crisco sign or the homeade Indian motorcycle sign??

see me at Mason Dixon Gas, Spring Carlisle M114-115, and Hershey C4E-35.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Why hasn't anyone used a name ? The sellers name is Amistadie He published books as price guides on high dollar advertising pieces.

What I think is that his name alone carries the same prestige for some collectors as being able to say " Oh I got mine at Barrett Jackson " To some perhaps that sort of thing is worth paying whatever it take to buy something.

Or on a more practical note, perhaps some buyers feel they can be assured of quality because the seller will not risk his reputation by mis-repesenting a piece. So with these thoughts in mind, I don't think shill bidding is a factor in this case. But I could be wrong.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Or on a more practical note, perhaps some buyers feel they can be assured of quality because the seller will not risk his reputation by mis-repesenting a piece. So with these thoughts in mind, I don't think shill bidding is a factor in this case. But I could be wrong.

LOL

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
T
T
The guy does get lots of GOOD THINGS.Whether he buys them at noon for a thousand and sells them at noon thirty for 10 thousand makes no difference. He had the brass ones to buy it for the thousand AND ask the big number. Can`t fault him for that. He does have an attitude,but don`t we all? My thoughts are if you want it,buy it.If not stay away.Simple as that. Why spend all day griping? It`s a beautiful winter day and we should all be out playing in the snow(if you have snow) Sounds like a little jelousy and old animosity here. MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IMO
Shill bidding can be done and is probably still done on ebay.
The seller is pretty well known which might attract high bids and most of the stuff is pretty nice.
Some guys just don't know about sniping and continue to drive the price up during an auction.
If I suspect shill bidding is taking place I just stay away from the auction and who cares because maybe there is more than one shill so who cares as they will get stuck with it.
No confrontation here just MO. Ted

Ted Pam Ethyl & Polly Roach
Lodi CA.
209-210-8971
Looking for Signal, Hancock, Mohawk, Douglas, Gilmore and Richfield
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Tydolwave, i am typing this with much respect to your coment & I'm not trying to offend or attack you or your comment in any way as many of your points are valid....hey if you can buy it @ noon & get $10k by evening thats a beautiful thing. Can't fault anybody for that, unless its done illegaly..you are right, Most of us have attitudes, except for great people like KW who is just a good genuine, honest person at heart with zero bad intentions...there are also many here like KW & you never see a bad word from them.......you are very correct when you say, if you want it buy it, everybody should know there limitations however there are many new people (with money) in this hobby who don't have the knowledge of value & there philosophy is , if somebody bid $9000 for this great sign it must be worth $10k, just like at many auctions....

.....The problem comes when you break the law... using these programs like ebay stealth to create many idenities with many fake ebay accounts to bid on your own items & using friends and family to do the same, thats illegal....If you want $10k just ask $10& quit all the games.....why produce these fake identities here on old gas like "ebaygenious" & "Bongo Uddin" LOL LOL, sorry but that one still cracks me up..... I am not one of the jealous ones of him, i have a great life, health & am very fortunate to have great friends & family and in the end it kind of boils down to that...no amount of money can buy it
so again i want you to know that i am trying to be very respectful to your response & in no way show want to show you any disrespect...thanks DT

i would also like it known that i am not accusing anybody of shilling, however these new old gassers {"ebaygenious" & "Bongo Uddin"}LOL that just registered with no names or contact info look suspicious, i wished they would clear it up & tell us who they are ???? i am getting slammed from these guys with lies & it just seems strange that they hide there identities, unless they have something to hide... stand up be a man & use your real idenity......

W
W
We are done talking about shill bidding on this topic. If you have proof, than present it to ebay. Guessing and trying to discredit a seller will stop now!

I believe the point was made that buyers beware of possible inflated prices.

I am 100% in agreement to this:

Quote:
We are done talking about shill bidding on this topic. If you have proof, than present it to eBay. Guessing and trying to discredit a seller will stop now!

I have left this topic open and unedited to allow the person who feels he is the object of unfair suspicion to post his side of the situation. He has called me a bunch of times insisting he wants to post a reply. I have personally supplied his lost password to him.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved