Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
W
Please keep in mind the "person who feels he is the object of unfair suspicion" can not personally attack any members. He is more than welcome to post and tell his story but no personal attacks!

T
T
Mr. Daryl,thanks for your kind reply. Mostly you are correct.However Ebay is just like a "real" auction. The rules are in place,we all know what we SHOULD do and mostly we do. The problem arises when that itty bitty little thing called money comes into play. We`ve all been to real,live auctions and seen the guy in the corner bumping his own goods,with or without the explicit help of the auctioneer. And, no fingers pointed,but we all know someone that does it,whether we admit it or not.Call it a reserve,munimum or buyers premium,it all adds up to protection and it`s the rare individual that will let sopmething that he`s paid 5 k for sell for a few hundred--IF he can help it. I stay away from auctions that I don`t stand a chance at,but play the game at the ones where I can at least have a small chance.Most times something sneaks through.Same on Ebay. I`m cautious, I bid what I want to pay and go to bed. If I get it,great.If not,theres more fish in the pond.Why bother fighting? I must say though that Bongo and a few other newbies I see here seem like they are solely here to provoke. Think like a dog: Sniff him a little,growl a little then forget him and go play in the snow. You`ll be much happier,and you`ll live longer.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm not going to comment specifically about the seller in question.

Don't think for a minute that every "sale" on ebay is completed. There have been cases where shill bidders drove the "apparent" sale price up but the transactions were not completed. What does this accomplish? It raises the "perceived" value of that item. For example: A legitimate bidder may bid $6000 for an item, but a couple shill bidders can run the item up to $10,000. The item doesn't really sell for $10K but it raises the perception that the sign is now worth $10K which makes it allot easier to sell to someone else for $9K!

Then there are cases where the shills run the price up and drop the item on an unsuspecting buyer for an artificially inflated price.

These things do happen, and it they are illegal. I have a friend that teaches at an auction school. He says that the penalties for shill bidding are quite hefty and can include jail time.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Online Cool
Good points were made all around.
Buyers need to be aware of all issues that can affect their purchase.
Mr. Amistadi has declined to post a response.
This topic will be locked.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved