Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#218592 Sun Dec 12 2010 02:41 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I just picked up these Goodyear porcelain letters. They are 18" tall and 2" deep and heavy made. The blue and yellow porcelain seems to be in excellent cond. I did a spot clean on one and it's nice and shiney. These were sitting for years in an old warehouse. There was no winged shoe and I assume all these signs had one?

Can you guys help me date them and give me an approx. value?

How hard is it to find the correct winged foot to go with them? I haven't decided what to do with them yet.

Thanks in advance!!
Mike

KJV Psalms 16:11

Thou wilt shew me the path of life:
in thy presence is fulness of joy;
at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I KNOW FOR MANY YEARS THROUGHOUT THE 50'S & 60'S, THE GOODYEAR LETTERS AND WINGED-FOOT WERE CONVEX IN STYLE NOT LIKE YOUR ARE. SO I WOULD HAVE TO ASSUME THAT YOURS ARE OF LATER 70'S STYLE PERHAPS WHEN PORCELAIN WAS LOSING THE BATTLE TO PLASTIC LETTERS.

IF YOU WERE TO KEEP THE SIGN AND DISPLAY IT IN YOUR COLLECTION, KEEP AN EYE PEELED ON EBAY FOR MISSING WINGED-FOOT. I KNOW I HAVE SEEN THEM ON SEVERAL OCCASIONS WITHOUT THE LETTERS, BUT THIS STYLE MIGHT BE TOUGH.

I COULD ALSO MAKE ONE OUT OF WOOD FOR YOU UNTIL A REAL ONE COMES ALONG.

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I have a set just like this and I am missing the "Y", I bought them cheaply from a guy who also has the correct winged foot that matches and he will not part with it. I keep trying, but so far no luck.
I have watched Ebay for the last couple of years looking for the proper foot and a "Y", but I have never seen either of them show up yet.
I am also curious as to when they were used.
I did buy a larger foot many years ago that was of the same construction - It came from a large Goodyear warehouse in Georgia. The guy that sold it to me bought it from the demo company as they were taking down the building, It is over 3' high and about 6' long, he said the letters were trashed and he could not save them, but were over 3' high each.
Attached is what we both need - just in the proper size.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Here's the picture........

P220026512.JPG
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Those will look awesome hung up. I like big signs & letters too.
Mike

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I know this doesn't help the OP but several months ago I had a call from a friend who owns a sign business, he had a set of goodyear letters and the winged foot that he just took down from a business, I asked about buying them and he said he couldn't because he had to destroy them in order to be paid. That just made me sick, I think I stayed pi$$ed off about that all day!!

Barry
M
M
I think I know were a foot is. It might be for sale he is missing all the letters.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: bmclemore
I know this doesn't help the OP but several months ago I had a call from a friend who owns a sign business, he had a set of goodyear letters and the winged foot that he just took down from a business, I asked about buying them and he said he couldn't because he had to destroy them in order to be paid. That just made me sick, I think I stayed pi$$ed off about that all day!!

THAT'S THE ANSWER I GET FROM MANY OF THE SIGN SWAPPERS AROUND HERE. CORPORATE WANTS THEM ALL CRUSHED. ONCE IN A BLUE MOON I DO GET SOME SMALLER ROUND TEXACO LENSES FROM THE CANOPIES.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A friend of mine stopped at a station that was being re-imaged and inquired about a light up sign that was being replaced. The sign company told him they couldn't sell it because they were required to dispose it. The guy then commented that my friend should go inside to pay for his gas and perhaps air up the rear tires on his truck. The air hose just happened to be by the dumpster. When my friend came out he saw the sign guys driving away. He backed into the parking spot by the dumpster and checked the air in his tires. He just happened to find the sign he had inquired about behind the dumpster along with a second sign from another station.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Now that's cool!

JimmyD #218858 Mon Dec 13 2010 02:23 PM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
That is cool.....so I guess we all should start check out the dumpster at gas stations......lol

Cities service, Vickers, Gas and Auto neons, next exit/ ahead signs and now I'm getting into globes....

AKA PARIS HILTON!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
WHY DO YOU ALL THINK I DUMPSTER DIVE! THANK YOU...BEEN DOING IT FOR 40 YEARS!

JimmyD #218936 Mon Dec 13 2010 10:14 PM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
At one point there were some of the letters for sale around here. Missing half of the letters. There was no wing foot. I will look for one for you.

Mike
O
O
Still looking for wingfoot? I have one to sell?

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Sent you a pm. I own these letters in this post you speak of now and yes I am still looking for the wing foot

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved