Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#21962 Sat Feb 14 2004 04:50 AM
S
stooge Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I just got a wide body glass globe holder for my Hy-Flash lenses. What is the correct way to mount them to the body? I was told to fasten the lens to the body with the small screws and then seal the out side with some type of sealant. Is this the best way or is a better way?
Thanks Randy

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#21963 Sat Feb 14 2004 06:29 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Randy,
The correct screws are brass and have a smooth head, no slot. The correct nuts are knurled. Lay the body on its side and bolt the first worst lens in place. If you have the fiber or rubber washers they go on the inside before you put the nut on. Some guys will tell you the washers go on the outside of the lens. That is not correct. If you don't use the washers on the inside you can chip the boss that the screw goes through. This is pretty common on wide bodies.
DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN! Don't under tighten either, or the lens will shift and you could damage it around the notches.
Caulking isn't required, but its not a bad idea if done properly. Most guys aren't too handy with a caulking gun. You can buy a small squeeze tube of clear silicone that will be easier to handle. You won't need much caulk. Just a thin bead around the lens. DO NOT use so much caulk that it goes under the lens! You'll never be able to remove the lens if that happens. When the caulk sets up, turn the globe over and do the other side. I like to assemble my globes on a soft surface like a couch. Be careful because the weight of some glass bodies resting on the lens can cause the lens to break. Thats why I said to do the worst side first.
Bob

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#21964 Sat Feb 14 2004 09:06 AM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
hi randy. do as bob stated and you will be fine, as he stated the right way. thank's for the post. cheese

#21965 Sat Feb 14 2004 11:53 AM
S
S
I agree with everything Bob said. I would add something. I once bought a Gill lens attached to a wide body glass globe with wayyy too much clear silicone sealant! I wanted to remove it, and put onto the Gill ripple body that it originally came in.
I tried cutting the silicone off with exacto
knives and razor blades, but there was too
much silicone holding the lens in place.
I called the folks at 3M, who make this sealant, and they recommended saturating the
sealant with mineral spirits, a proven
method that weakens the bond on this stuff.
Since the gill lens had a durable, fired-on
glass ad finish, I gave it a try. I soaked the silicone sealant with mineral spirits using a paint brush, and after about 5 to 10 minutes or so, the lens lifted right off the body with no problem! There was no harm to the lens at all, but DON'T try this with any lens that has fragile paint, or damage, you have to have a very sound lens with a porcelain enameled (glass on glass) advertising image!

#21966 Sat Feb 14 2004 03:26 PM
S
stooge Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks guys for the good information and tips. The Hy Flash globe is done and next on the list is my Hi Speed lense on the narrow body. If anybody has any Hi Speed and Hy-flash stuff for sale let me know.

Randy

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved