Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
HDrewes Offline OP
OP Offline
Can anyone identify this red glass flame globe light w/two eagles encircling it? I have looked for years and can't find anything like it. Reminds me of American Oil or Standard Oil red flame, but the eagles added make me question where or what business did this come from. I don't think it is from White Eagle either. This is my first post and first time ever trying to upload a photo...I have other photos of this light where it is lit up (still works) and showing a "No. 87" in relief on the back where cord comes out. Red glass globe is in excellent condition and the eagles and mounting seem to be made out of aluminum. This seems to be a Petroliana item, and I need to make sure of what/where it came from, before I offer it for sale. Since it has an electrical cord I'm guessing it sat in a gas station window? Thanks to all who can help me!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
WELCOME TO OLDGAS
As much as we like seeing newly discovered items, I don't think this has anything to do w/ any oil company promotions.
db

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
I would think that it was used either in a church or a lodge of some sort.(Masonic,Moose,Odd-fellows) I like though and it is really cool, but more than likely not a Gas Station item.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Pretty neat item but the birds are not eagles but seagulls and this is surely not a gas & oil item, but is very unique and in excellent shape! When you do discover its origin, please let us know!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
HDrewes Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks but now I'm a gal who's more stumped! I have a vintage I.O.O.F. supplies catalog, I'll look through it, but it dates to pre-electricity days I think. Maybe I'll search for another 10 years to find out what it is. Found this in an outbuilding in Hamler, OH. I'll check if this neighboring town had a lodge...probably so because every little and big town did back in the day. I'm guessing it's from the 1930's by it's design, the eagles are very Art Deco. I think it's very cool too! Have always thought it was from an old gas station that used to sit on the corner where the building was. I needed to find out, saw this site, was my first start and hoped to find ANY answers...Thanks for your time! Heide

HDrewes Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you KW Frith for another reply! From the very stern look on the bird faces, they look like eagles with their talons raised. We get seagulls that fly in over 50 miles from Lake Erie when plowing the farm fields here...oh...and ever present at any McDonald's parking lot too! If I'm lucky to find out what my "now non gas/oil" light is, I'll let you know! I am an artist who has restored (hand painting only)some vintage advertising, painted a lot of eagles and most recently painted seagulls on a ceiling!

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
When you was going through the out building find any Hi-Speed/ Paragon items?

There was a Paragon and Hi-Speed Gas stations in Hamler.

Randy grin

Always looking for Hy-Flash Gas/Miller Oil, Hi-Speed Gas/ Hickok Oil and Paragon Refining items from Toledo,Ohio.
HDrewes Offline OP
OP Offline
Sorry Randy, there were no other gas station items at all. But now if I do see anything Paragon or Hi-Speed items...I'll contact you...I drive through Waterville often! I've lived very close to Hamler for the past 35 years, Summerfest? I grew up in Toledo's Old West End. Thanks for letting me know what two of the old service stations in Hamler were as I am always interested in history.

>chadrock00...I just had a "light" go off in my head! Lodge item maybe? F.O.E.?? Now I am on another mission!

V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
I sent the pic to a friend of mine who is a member of a lot of Fraternal organizations and he has never seen it. For some reason, I think I have seen it before, but cant recall where.
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
HDrewes Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks John! I searched F.O.E. items, but cannot find any depiction of "Eagles" items that have the same look or with wings in the same position. If your friend or you can ever find out or remember seeing it, I would surely appreciate it! I have more pics of it, from the back and all lit up in the dark. It is a nice old fixture with a neat look to it!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Not eagles! Take a close look--they are seagulls! (webbed feet)

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
This is not Masonic, 100% sure of that. I have passed your picture on and both people think that it is or would have been a religous item. To me, the wings on the bird almost remind me of some Indiana Jone's type stuff, Arch of the covenant. One of my friends said if it were cast GOLD, then just maybe we would have something here. My other guy said it alomost looks christmas-ish.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I wonder if it might be affiliated with the Latter Day Saints/Mormon Church?

Seagulls were/are a big deal in their history.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
oltoydoc@vintagegas.com
(310)415-9562 Cel.
Vintage Gas
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C

Page 1 of 2 1 2