Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Cat-Man Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I am starting learn something that to me defies logic but logically it is the only thing that makes sense.

Watching a recent show of PICKERS on line it dawned on me they "came to the rescue" of a daughter who was drowned/lost with her late fathers movie equipment collection. They started saying they'd help her unload things but only endeded up with a few pieces leaving her with 99+% of her collection. Likewise I came across a very nice old solid oak childs rocking chair that was obviously not a machine punched out model but all handmade for $1.00 (one just like it SOLD for $65 on eBay) at a garage sale and a matching wooden rocking horse for another $1.00. I also got a late 1800s very ornate cast iron/wood school desk that was left in my friends garage when he bought the house. I went to a local far from fancy Antique store asking if they wanted the items? They looked at them and said: antique desks and the rockers were not "hot". When I think about it I'd have been happy with $10-20 for all if only they made an offer. I just bugs me that someone who may have wanted the desk/rockers at $10-15 each retail never gets a shot. Likewise the PICKERS duo just passes on tons of items and then wheels away leaving 99% of the stuff sitting that if only they offered could have made someone a real deal at retail. I noted they walked right past a single kiddie ride of the NASA Space Shuttle..They also were oblivious to a vintage gas pump. Why don't they understand that everything has a price and a decent mark-up? Instead of passing items why not pay low and pass it on in the retail deal?

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
MY BUDDY AND I PICK EVERY WEEK FOR A LOCAL ANTIQUE SHOP. SOMETIMES WE'RE LUCKY WITH WHAT WE BUY AND/OR TAKE AND PASS UNDER THEIR NOSE, OTHER TIMES WE ARE NOT. WE JUST GO TO THE NEXT PLACE AND SO ON DOWN THE ROAD UNTIL IT HITS A HIGH NOTE. ONLY ONCE DID I SPEND A SMALL AMOUNT OF CHANGE ONLY TO HAVE TO DISPLAY IT AT THE END OF MY DRIVEWAY WITH A "FREE" SIGN ON IT (IT WAS A DOLL CABINET). IT SAT THERE FOR A WEEK BEFORE IT MYSTERIOUSLY DISAPPEARED. ABOUT A MONTH LATER IT SHOWED UP AT A TAG SALE. I HAD A GOOD LAUGH SINCE IT WAS PRICED @$60 AND WAS MISSING PIECES.

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A friend tried to Give away some good tires, nobody wanted them. He placed them next to curb & as joke placed a $75 sign on them, next morning they were GONE. Stolen during the night.

Pickers make $$$ off doing the show, not from what they pick. Can't drive all over the country paying for gas, motels, food on the little items they turn over.

Last edited by Dick Bennett; Wed Dec 22 2010 09:56 AM. Reason: add to instead of new post
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dick hit it on the head! You have to realize that these people are in the entertainment industry and their income is derived from producing an interesting show and not from the small change they might make by moving some pieces around the country. They have to show the variety and wide range of items that are available all over the country, so as to maintain the viewers that they need to keep in business! If every show was dull and they only moved the everyday stuff, the show would have been canceled by now! Appreciate it for what it is! I take it as a learning tool as there are a lot of items that come across there that I've never seen but will remember in case I ever do!!!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
DB -- You are total right .. They make the money off the contract they have with the TV station.....

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Good points so far. Also consider pickers will often have a buyer in mind for an item before they buy it.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Pickers, Pawn Jokes & Restorations need different Script Writers, dialog is the same in all 3 shows.

R
R
I watch the show and enjoy it. The recent show with the old Harley bike weather vane on the roof was some thing I have never seen before. The guys pick, if you buy all the stuff you end up with a lot you cannot sell. Like Dick says the TV show covers there cost.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
Pickers, Pawn Jokes & Restorations need different Script Writers, dialog is the same in all 3 shows.

...Shakespeare could be writing for them, the shows would still SUCK...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Well...the "Pickers" have been doing just that, and only that for the last ten years. I would say they were/are doing something right even though the TV contract helps, alot. I know I have ran across this, and I certianly know that just about everyone on here has too. But, I do not buy $25.00 quarts and hope to get $28.00 out of them, or $1000.00 signs with the hopes of getting $1150.00. There are guys out there that do though, but if you have the money...whatever. The pickers have limited space for travel as well. If they bought everything that they seen, they would need a semi truck and trailer. They rarely buy to keep and do not buy to get top dollar out of thier stuff. They buy to sell, and hope something better is around the next corner.

On the other hand, to see all of these places that they go and don't buy stuff...There is still stuff out there for you to go buy.

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
To go off what Bob said they also have a cliental that buys there stuff. Most of there stuff is sold buy the time they get it back to there shop. When we visited there shop earlier this year there was not a lot of stuff there for sale. Some of the stuff there was also not for sale. But when they buy something for $25 & then say it is worth $125 & thats what they sell it for there is a tank of gas. I sure if they where loosing money they would not do it.

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
The pickers buy more then what they put on the show. If they were to show everything they buy the show would be hours and hours long. They have to hire rental trucks to haul the majority of what they buy back to their shop.

Thanks,
Nick

Always looking for Ashland oil Items!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The pickers are there just to sell commercials! They couldn't make it on what they pick, but i still like to see what they find.

Rare pumps, Chevrolet items, Goldon Tip Gasoline, Marathon (running man)
Cell # 1-502-396-3435 email lowright@aol.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
LET'S NOT FORGET THAT A.P.'S CAMERA CREW ALSO HIRES A HELICOPTER AND THAT AIN'T CHEAP EITHER.

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
in talking to mike wolfe--he told me that for the show they only pick out a couple of things--what you dont see is the stuff they do buy--he told me they buy alot of things you dont see--it would be foolish to leave it behind--the last eposde he offer 2300 for the indian motorcycle--he didnt drive away as you see in the show
dont get faustrated--its just a show

looking for spanish gas signs
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved