Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#221375 Sat Dec 25 2010 11:55 AM
OP Offline
All right, I normally will not start a post like this, but am unsure how to handle this as the person I am having problems with is a member on here.

Here goes. I bought three items from a seller on ebay. He is a member on here as well and I am not going to mention the items or his name. I paid for the three items the very next day via paypal. One item had a 25 dollar shipping charge, the other two 10 dollars each. Total shipping was 45 dollars.

All three of the items came in one box, with the post office price tag listed on it as an even 15.00. The items were packaged terribly, and one of the items (cardboard) smelt so bad of cigarette smoke that I couldnt even put it in my office and display it.

I asked nicely for the 30 dollars in shipping to be refunded and complained about the cigarette smoke. My reply was that they never claimed in the ad that the items came from a smoke free home. I never got a respond to the shipping charges.

I opened a dispute with ebay over the item. Ebay must have had paypal remove the money from their account, because I got an email from the seller to return the merchandise as I was refunded. I told them that I was never refunded, and to this day, I have not been. I closed the ebay dispute this morning as they will not respond to it.

ebay
single choice
Votes accepted starting: Sat Dec 25 2010 11:55 AM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Ryan Underthun #221377 Sat Dec 25 2010 12:14 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Need more info. You could be right, or the seller could be. Depends on a few things....
Were the shipping prices listed in the auction listings? Did you ask the seller to box the items together and reduce the shipping charges? Some of us will combine shipping without the buyer asking, but some will only do it if you ask......and some are jerks and won't do it at all.
Did all of the auctions end the same day?

A seller that's a smoker isn't likely to consider the smell of an item. If he didn't say anything about it and you didn't ask, I don't think you have a complaint about the smell.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Ryan Underthun #221378 Sat Dec 25 2010 12:17 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Making a profit from the shipping is just wrong IMO. If the seller wants more for his item , he should just have a higher reserve or starting price. If 3 different people were the buyers, that $30 would not be in his pocket. And then some sellers want a "handling charge" on top of the shipping charges! Total BS

Last edited by pumpingethyl; Sat Dec 25 2010 12:23 PM. Reason: more ranting added

Dennis Leith / Always looking for unusual Gilmore Oil Company items and Automobilia Displays
Lastgas15 #221379 Sat Dec 25 2010 12:17 PM
OP Offline
All of the items ended on the same day, minutes apart from one another. The shipping prices were listed on each of the auctions, separate. My feelings are if I paid for the shipping, they should have come in three different boxes like I paid for.

Out of all of the items I have purchased from ebay, this is the first that has stunk this bad of cigarette smoke, but I did not ask before the auction had ended.

Last edited by Ryan Underthun; Sat Dec 25 2010 12:19 PM. Reason: I kant spel

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Ryan Underthun #221385 Sat Dec 25 2010 12:31 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Ryan Underthun
My feelings are if I paid for the shipping, they should have come in three different boxes like I paid for.

Out of all of the items I have purchased from ebay, this is the first that has stunk this bad of cigarette smoke, but I did not ask before the auction had ended.

IF A GOOD/HONEST SELLER WAS TO COMBINE THREE SEPARATE AUCTIONED ITEMS INTO ONE BOX, THEY SHOULD HAD THE NEW ADJUSTED/CHEAPER CHARGES FORWARDED TO YOU BEFORE YOU EVEN PAID. OR AS A CURIOUS BUYER, I WOULD HAVE INQUIRED AS TO WHETHER OR NOT THE 3 ITEMS COULD BE SHIPPED TOGETHER AT A LESSER RATE. TO ME IT SOUNDS LIKE A SIMPLE CASE OF LACK OF COMMUNICATION.

I VOTED FOR TRYING TO GET THE OVERCHARGED POSTAGE BACK.

CAN YOU IMAGINE HOW A SMOKING BUYER WOULD FEEL IF HE GOT SOMETHING FROM A FRESH AIR HOME SELLER? LOL! ANYTHING THAT COMES FROM A SMOKERS HOME IS ALWAYS GONNA SMELL FRESH TO THEM. wink

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It was totally wrong to ship it all in one box if he accepted 3 different shipping charges. There is such thing as Excessive shipping charges that ebay does not tolerate. I would push for the refund of some of the shipping because of it all being in one box.
I have never smoked in my life, If I recieved that I would toss it outside for a week or two, just like I do our clothes when we spend an hour or more at my mother-in-laws house.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
KZ1000 #221402 Sat Dec 25 2010 05:16 PM
P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
I agree with KZ, word for word.

Thanks, Phil
philmccauley #221403 Sat Dec 25 2010 05:49 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
refund the difference on the shipping.

Paddy
Wanted. Billups, Ride with Rose, Har-V, LORECO, STANOCOLA, Pan Am (early), Hurricane, Evangeline, Canal, Gulf Coast, oil companies.
texaspelican #221414 Sat Dec 25 2010 06:43 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I am confused you said:

"I opened a dispute with eBay over the item. eBay must have had paypal remove the money from their account, because I got an email from the seller to return the merchandise as I was refunded. I told them that I was never refunded, and to this day, I have not been. I closed the eBay dispute this morning as they will not respond to it."

How much money got removed from paypal? The whole purchase? The $30 you considered excessive?

From the sellers email sounds like you may have gotten a total refund. If so, I am going to vote you send the items back. But I will wait until you clarify these questions. John

Fueluser #221416 Sat Dec 25 2010 07:04 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I would go to ebay site map & find contact info. & call them.
I believe once you close the ebay case it is over?
At this point I would be calling paypal to explain this & see
if you have any options

RANDY
advertologist #221419 Sat Dec 25 2010 07:36 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Re check with e-bay about the refund. It should have shown up in your pay pal account.
I had a similar situation awhile back in which I was informed that the seller agreed to refund the purchase and shipping on an item. After nearly a week I informed e-bay that the refund had not shown up in my pay pal account. Within minutes I received an e-mail that the deposit was made and when I checked it was in there.

ROD [Mich.]
advertologist #221424 Sat Dec 25 2010 08:26 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If he is an oldgas member and is stand up he could have just mailed you a refund.
Doesn't sound like someone i would want to buy from!!!

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Ryan Underthun #221430 Sat Dec 25 2010 09:46 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Ryan Underthun
All of the items ended on the same day, minutes apart from one another. The shipping prices were listed on each of the auctions, separate. My feelings are if I paid for the shipping, they should have come in three different boxes like I paid for.

If the shipping charges for each item were clearly stated and you did not ask for a reduced shipping charge for combined shipping I don't think you have a valid complaint...no matter how many boxes he shipped your items in. You should have asked for a discount on shipping. Having said that, yeah, the guy is a jerk for not offering you a reduced shipping price.

If the seller is a smoker he probably doesn't realize the stuff stinks, so it's up to the buyer to ask.

I'd rack this up to poor communication on your part. While I don't necessarily think the seller did anything wrong, he sure didn't go out of his way to make things right.

When the seller doesn't charge enough for shipping do you offer to pay more?

I recently sold a bunch of cans on ebay. A buyer from Japan bought multiple lots. He balked at the $41+ shipping charge I invoiced him. I told him if the actual shipping charge was less I'd refund the over payment. He still complained but he paid. Actual shipping ended up costing $43+. The buyer didn't offer to pay the difference. Funny how that works.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Lastgas15 #221434 Sat Dec 25 2010 11:13 PM
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
Not to step on any toes here,but it looks like the seller did everything that they agreed to do.If the terms were stated and the seller did what was stated I guess I just don't see what the complaint is with the seller or ebay.The terms were clearly stated.Now, in defense of the buyer.If you asked for discounting shipping and the seller agreed but did not come through then I could see the complaint.Last, I would have to say from a sellers standpoint if a buyer purchased multiple items from me,personally I would thank them and offer discounted shipping just to show my appreciation without the buyer asking.Just a matter of principal.As a buyer if all terms are stated and the seller delivers I do not see the complaint with the seller or ebay.I personally would have done it different as the seller.The bottom line is the seller did what they agreed to do.

MARK SMITH #221436 Sun Dec 26 2010 05:54 AM
M
M
you got it anyway I sent cash to a member that contacted me on this site over 10 weeks or more. I dont have what I payed for yet! my last pm I sent asking if they could send them last week.I got no answer back but the member has all the time to post on here 4-5 times a day. I feel your frustration Ryan. marty

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved