Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
NICOLE, THEIR IS LOCAL FOOD VENDORS ON THE ROAD, HOWEVER I'M NOT SURE ABOUT THER BEING ANY AT THE SHOW. MAYBE KEITH OR MARK WILL CHIME IN ABOUT THAT.

THERE ARE DETACHED RESTROOMS IN AN OUTSIDE BUILDING.

I'M SURE THERE WILL BE A LITTLE SOMETHING STILL AROUND AT 10AM, BUT PRETTY MUCH ALL THE GOOD STUFF GETS BOUGHT, TRADED AND SOLD EARLY. BY LATE MORNING THE SHOW SLOWS, BUT PEEPS STILL COME AND GO IN WAVES.

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nicole, I have never had a problem being in the door at 7:00am. There will be plenty to see at 10:00. The auction that is being held in a building very near the show building has a cafe in it, but I have never eaten there, I stop at the Waffle House before the show. I have never been to the ladies room, but there is a decent restroom facility beside the show building. You will have a great time at the show. Brady

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks,

We have two family B-days in March and they are usually celebrated together, and I never know 'till a week or two before, so finger's crossed that they don't choose that day!

They don't know yet about you all.... : ) : o : )

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'll be there with my wife Nicole.....She always likes to other female company. She'll be taking all the pictures while I drool on all the tables trying to decide what to buy!

........Dave
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE
I'M SURE THERE WILL BE A LITTLE SOMETHING STILL AROUND AT 10AM, BUT PRETTY MUCH ALL THE GOOD STUFF GETS BOUGHT, TRADED AND SOLD EARLY.

...c'mon now, Doc - that almost sounds like there's nothing left but scrap metal by 10....OF COURSE there's lots of great stuff left at 10...it's not like going to your flea market looking for the one oil can that's there, and hoping (1) it's in good shape, and (2) the seller hasn't been doing meth and watching a 'Pickers' marathon sick (both really bad for your brain, IMO)...

...ALL of the stuff at the show is gas stuff...it's pure...CONCENTRATED...GAS STUFF laugh

...heck, there's still lots of good stuff left during pack-up, and bargains to be had...it's all relative...if someone pulls a mint Oilzum curb sign out of their car with a $500 price at 7AM, obviously it's not going to stick around...but the important thing to remember is that there will be tons and tons of OLD (not Old Style!) signs, globes, cans, etc. to buy and collectors/vendors to meet (and learn from)...I think the misconception that 'if you're not the first one there, it's not worth going' is bunk and isn't good for the health of the shows...

...I've seen pictures of collections here on Oldgas, and the vast majority of them AREN'T of a room full of pristine, restored twin display clockfaces, one-of-a-kind picture globes and $3000 pump signs...I don't mean that as a knock on anybody's collections - what I'm trying to say is that most collectors AREN'T Kyle Moore...most collectors would attend a show like Mason-Dixon and find something (or a lead on something) that they've been looking for - or something they WEREN'T looking for - even if they couldn't get there at the crack of night...

...TRY to get there as close to 7 as you can (you'll want to allow enough time to look at everything) - but don't 'not go' if you can't get there until later...and remember: the vendors can't pack up if they're busy selling! wink

...I've never missed a Mason-Dixon - and I've never come home empty-handed, no matter how light my wallet was when I got there...and I've bought at the beginning, middle and end of the shows...

...and when I think of the friends I've made at that show, and the good times...well, I could go on and on (and I guess I have)...

...bottom line - if you are within a 5 hour drive of this show, and consider yourself a collector, you need to attend...IMO that goes for all of the established shows...

...oh, yeah - and the Mason-Dixon Gas t-shirts are not to be missed... whistle

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: gulfiend!
Originally Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE
I'M SURE THERE WILL BE A LITTLE SOMETHING STILL AROUND AT 10AM, BUT PRETTY MUCH ALL THE GOOD STUFF GETS BOUGHT, TRADED AND SOLD EARLY.

...c'mon now, Doc - that almost sounds like there's nothing left but scrap metal by 10....OF COURSE there's lots of great stuff left at 10...it's not like going to your flea market looking for the one oil can that's there, and hoping (1) it's in good shape, and (2) the seller hasn't been doing meth and watching a 'Pickers' marathon sick (both really bad for your brain, IMO)...

...ALL of the stuff at the show is gas stuff...it's pure...CONCENTRATED...GAS STUFF laugh

...heck, there's still lots of good stuff left during pack-up, and bargains to be had...it's all relative...if someone pulls a mint Oilzum curb sign out of their car with a $500 price at 7AM, obviously it's not going to stick around...but the important thing to remember is that there will be tons and tons of OLD (not Old Style!) signs, globes, cans, etc. to buy and collectors/vendors to meet (and learn from)...I think the misconception that 'if you're not the first one there, it's not worth going' is bunk and isn't good for the health of the shows...

...I've seen pictures of collections here on Oldgas, and the vast majority of them AREN'T of a room full of pristine, restored twin display clockfaces, one-of-a-kind picture globes and $3000 pump signs...I don't mean that as a knock on anybody's collections - what I'm trying to say is that most collectors AREN'T Kyle Moore...most collectors would attend a show like Mason-Dixon and find something (or a lead on something) that they've been looking for - or something they WEREN'T looking for - even if they couldn't get there at the crack of night...

...TRY to get there as close to 7 as you can (you'll want to allow enough time to look at everything) - but don't 'not go' if you can't get there until later...and remember: the vendors can't pack up if they're busy selling! wink

...I've never missed a Mason-Dixon - and I've never come home empty-handed, no matter how light my wallet was when I got there...and I've bought at the beginning, middle and end of the shows...

...and when I think of the friends I've made at that show, and the good times...well, I could go on and on (and I guess I have)...

...bottom line - if you are within a 5 hour drive of this show, and consider yourself a collector, you need to attend...IMO that goes for all of the established shows...

...oh, yeah - and the Mason-Dixon Gas t-shirts are not to be missed... whistle

YES, BUT YOU HAVE TO REALIZE THAT ALL NICOLE WANTS IS SCRAP METAL TO MAKE ART WITH. LOL!

I WAS JUST SAYING THAT ALOT OF THE REALLY NICE VS. PRICE STUFF GETS TRADED EARLY EITHER BY SPECTATORS OR AMONG THE DEALERS THEMSELVES.
WHEN I SAID "A LITTLE SOMETHING," I MEANT THAT FOR NICOLE'S SAKE SINCE SHE'S NOT REALLY A PETRO NUT AND WANTED TO PERHAPS TAKE SOMETHING HOME THAT WASN'T GONNA BURST HER PURSE! LOL!

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Huh!

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Oooooooh - I wish there were enough years left in my life to do the beautiful metal work that many of you have shared with me and with the forums. But I got aholt of oil painting late in my life, I love it and keep working to perfect it and feel like I am fighting against the clock just in this one area.

My original goal is to find pieces, or collect images I photograph myself of stuff that has a great patina for still life paintings--my rationalization anyways. : o

Right now though I still want to learn all I can, before putting down a lot of money...

And looking at all the great stuff on line here I am sure is a poor second to seein' stuff in person.

Can't a petro nut be someone who loves lookin' and learnin'?

Last edited by Oldgas; Mon Feb 28 2011 09:37 PM. Reason: Removed image at member's request
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Some of my better buys have been at the end of a show. IF it's meant to be yours, it will be no matter what time you arrive.
We all can't be 1st in line for everything that shows up. Right place at the right time w/ enough money & it's yours.

If you want to be called 1st when an item is found, get the word out that you'll pay 2-3X what they are asking or what it's worth!

Painting reminds me of Jack Sim w/o glasses, Nicole.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Hang in there Nicole. A $12 Husky oil can at a local swap meet was one of the starting places for my addiction, since then I've spent thousands. Mitch P.S. I still have the can.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Nicole
Right now though I still want to learn all I can, before putting down a lot of money...

And looking at all the great stuff on line here I am sure is a poor second to seein' stuff in person.

Can't a petro nut be someone who loves lookin' and learnin'?

...yup...and if you get to the show at 10 you will have time to do both...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
M
M
As a lurker on this site since the beginning, I feel that its time for me to make a comment. There has been so much negativity on this site over the years that has to stop. I thought after last months blowup it would. A member should never discourage anyone, let alone a newbie, from attending a swap meet/show just because they can't get there by the crack of dawn. Not all of the items for sale are sold by 10 AM nor are some sold at all.

As co-promoter of this show, anyone who is interested in attending this or any other show should do so. Seeing things live and interacting with other collectors is an education that books and internet sites can't quite duplicate. Come and meet some of the most diverse memorabilia and people you will ever meet. Don't feel that because you are new or less knowledgable about the hobby, you shouldn't attend. GO!

Paul (you know who you are), I had to do it.

Mike Carr

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...Mike - I didn't think this topic was negative at all, and I didn't take Doc's comments that way...I thought it would be a good idea to say what you basically restated...

...didn't you see all of the smiley faces I used?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Mike (and all),

Those guys love teasing me and I hope I can give as good as I can get... : )

Thanks again for all the info. Now I know to eat just before I get in the gates (after a 2+ hour drive) and that bathrooms are not just port-a-potties. Fingers crossed that the double birthday doesn't intervene.

Nicole
BTW my husband does think after I got hooked on this site that I am a nut...what kind of nut, he's not sure. : o

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Mike, I knew you'd eventually have to chip in. Not in your nature to sit idly by, forever. Glad, I am, to see you here. I'll talk to you in Frederick. Say "Hi" to Mike's, you know who you are, son. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved