Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
OP Offline
L
Hello everyone, first let me start off by saying I am new to this forum, but from what I have read I have learned a lot already.

I just picked up a Tresler Comet Erie 77 Gas Pump, and I am going to restore it for my mancave. I am finding out little bits and pieces about the company, but am now realizing I am going to be having a little trouble finding some of the pieces I need.

I am going to be needing to find a Tresler Comet globe and Tresler Comet ad glass for the pump. I know with it being from a smaller company, that I am going to have some trouble. If anyone could point me in the right direction with history of the company, pictures of globes or pictures of ad glass for my Tresler Comet pump, I would really appreciate it as I have a couple of people who may be able to reproduce the ad glass and globe for me if they have pictures. Thanks

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Welcome to Old Gas. Click on the link at the top that says parts & will give you some of the vendors that sells parts for your pump. If you want original parts go to the wanted section & ask for the parts you need there smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome to oldgas. Here's a link to some Tresler Comet globes that are pictured on this site.
http://www.gaspumps.info/gallery/v/globes/Tressler+Oil/?g2_enterAlbum=1

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The best part of the hobby is going to the shows and auctions, and looking for original stuff "in the wild". By going to the petroliana auctions like those held by Dan Matthews, and to the shows you'll meet collectors and dealers that can help you find what you're looking for, and make some good friends along the way. I suggest going to the Ohio Gas show in Dayton, the Check The Oil show in Columbus, Petro Peddlers in Evansville, IN, and Dixie Gas in Seviereville, TN.
Tresler stuff is out there but you'll have to invest some time into finding it, but that's what makes this hobby so much fun.
It might take a COLLECTOR years or even decades to find that elusive item for their collection. The journey is often as enjoyable as the destination. That's lost on guys that are just interested in decorating. They'll just buy a reproduction so they have something pretty to display. Please resist the urge to have any globes or signs repopped. There are so many repops of low and mid priced globes and signs that should have never been reproduced that it's killing the value of originals. I'm not talking repro's of the ultra rare Polly, Gilmore, or similar globes but rather globes that are attainable to anyone like Phillips 66, Diamond DX, Pennzoil, Cities Service, any many others that the DECORATORs are too lazy or impatient to invest a little time or money in. Tresler stuff falls in the latter category. It's out there, and much of it can still be bought for reasonable prices. There is no need to have it repopped.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
L
OP Offline
L
I really appreciate the replies I have received so far, this is great. I never realized there were so many collectors and shows to go to for petroliana. I have been a classic car and NASCAR nut for a long time, and have been looking for a gas pump for many years to restore. I am really in this for the long haul, and want to restore this pump right. I am just happy to have found a pump that is a little less mainstream. Again thanks for all of the replies, and I hope to get many more.

L
OP Offline
L
I have another question, can anyone give me any advice on what paints are the best to use for my restoration. I do not have access to professional painting supplies, and I was wondering what others use for their restorations. Does anyone know where I might be able to get the original paint that is on the pump color matched and have rattle can spray paint made? I am in Ohio, and can travel for the paint, or am even willing to order from an online paint vendor. I really want to do this right, but really don't want to have a body shop paint it. Thanks

V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
Hi Lowglow and welcome to the site.
Your Erie 77 was made in 1940 which is found on page 165 in An Illustrated Guide to Gas Pumps (First Ed) by Jack Sim. Jack is a member here and you may want to purchase his second edition which you can do right from this site. The Tressler Comet globes were made from 1955-1970, depending on which one you are referring to.
(Gas Gobes by Benjamin and Henderson p44-45 Vol 1). I am not sure if anyone repops them, so you may have to hunt for an original.
Are you going with the Tressler/Comet theme because you like it or because you think thats what it was originally? If you are going to repaint it anyway, you can do it in whatever company you like. As for paints, I will let the experts chime in but I know they will tell you that if you are going to put any decals on it have the paint mixed to match the decal. If no decals, match the paint to the colors on the globe or ad glass. Most auto parts stores will do this for you and some can even put it in a rattle can.
Post some pics so we can see what you got!
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Welcome, We recently restored one of these to Poly Gas. It is pictured on our site under "Currently Available and For Sale." Have a look, it might be of help? Good Luck, Paul www.severngaspumps.com

L
OP Offline
L
Hello again everyone, wow I am learning quickly. I only picked this pump up yesterday.

I was planning to restore it to the Tresler Comet because I thought that was what it originally based on the paint and decals that are on it, but now after some scraping it looks to have had a Yellow and Black or just Yellow center body, and white doors. I do know that this pump was originally from the Cincinnati, Ohio area, but not much else.

Is there a database of serial numbers for the old Erie pumps to possibly see who originally purchased the pump?

I am now starting to think about restoring the pump for a different company, one because it would make restoration easier, and two because now I know Tresler was not the original. Thanks and keep the comments coming, they help a lot.

I will post pics as soon as I can get them taken.

Thanks

Last edited by Lowglow20; Sat Jan 01 2011 05:59 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Quote:
Is there a database of serial numbers for the old Erie pumps to possibly see who originally purchased the pump?

Forget that idea, records were not kept. Most likely was bought by a local distributor/bulk dealer. Even if it was bought by TEXACO, it would have been repainted when owner switched brands & again the next time they changed brands.

L
OP Offline
L
Thanks for the reply, that is what I am starting to figure out that finding out the original paint isn't going to happen.

After cleaning up the model number plate, I am finding out that my pump looks to say it is an Erie 748-10 pump. Is there a difference between this pump and a Erie 77, because to me they look identical?

Last edited by Lowglow20; Sat Jan 01 2011 07:02 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
77 is a 6' tall 1940's pump, 748 is a 5' low 1948 & later pump

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dick, Jack and more than a few should be able to tell you about any differences between the models.

As to paint schemes; Quite a few stations when they updated their exteriors to a more modern look would sell their older pumps to independents and/or "Mom and Pop" facilities. This happened quite frequently up through the late 70s, early 80s, before the EPA put their foot down.

It is not uncommon to strip the paint off of even newer pumps and finding different paint schemes depicting several brands. At times one will find decals from several Oil Companies also, as the pump and/or station went through these changes.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
Lowglow, what everyone is saying is you can do your pump in any company/color scheme you like. If you want to keep it "period correct" there are lots of pics on here so you can see original color schemes. It really doesn't effect the value, so don't worry about that. Do what looks good to you.
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
L
OP Offline
L
As promised here is a pic of my pump. This was the day I brought it home. It is now in a million pieces and is going to the sandblaster this week. I hope to have it done this summer. As it shows it was last Tresler Comet, found underneath is Phillips 66, and so on...I have come to understand what everyone has said about a pump changing brands a lot of times. I think I am going to restore this one to Texaco Sky Chief. Now I am just waiting for the two petroliana shows here in Ohio this summer to find final parts.

rsz_photo0016(2).jpg
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved