Oldgas.com Home

Home | Help | Events | Books | Pictures | Auctions | Links | Collectors | Parts | Contact

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#224121 - Fri Jan 07 2011 08:47 PM Re: When a garage find is the garage itself. [Re: VW (o\!/o) NUT]
VW (o\!/o) NUT Offline

Loc: Spooner, WI
I don't think we will be able to save the building.
So, in the spring, I will probabaly demo it myself and "carefully" save the cans as best I'm able.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#224122 - Fri Jan 07 2011 08:48 PM Re: When a garage find is the garage itself. [Re: VW (o\!/o) NUT]
THE AMERICAN GARAGE Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: PECONIC BAY, L.I., NY, USA
COME TO THINK OF IT, THE "R" RATING OF THOSE CANS SET IN MORTAR IS PROBABLY LESS THAN A WOOD ONLY FRAMED GARAGE WITH SHEETROCK! LOL!

#224135 - Fri Jan 07 2011 11:29 PM Re: When a garage find is the garage itself. [Re: VW (o\!/o) NUT]
Lastgas15 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: illinois
Originally Posted By: VW (o\!/o) NUT
I don't think we will be able to save the building.
So, in the spring, I will probabaly demo it myself and "carefully" save the cans as best I'm able.

You could save/repair it easier and cheaper than you can replace it.

http://www.lastgas15.com/

#224136 - Fri Jan 07 2011 11:38 PM Re: When a garage find is the garage itself. [Re: Lastgas15]
Dick Bennett Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Santa Paula, Calif
Not to mention the permits, inspections plus the cost of the demo.

#224150 - Sat Jan 08 2011 06:14 AM Re: When a garage find is the garage itself. [Re: Dick Bennett]
KZ1000 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Mass
the cans are cool but its the ugliest garage I have ever saw, If it is saved it would be just like another roadside attraction like the "Worlds biggest Hair Ball" in the Chevy Chase movie.
I think it is more valuable disassembled. DEMO IT

#224155 - Sat Jan 08 2011 07:22 AM Re: When a garage find is the garage itself. [Re: KZ1000]
LOWright Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky
I think i would have to demo it too, and have a nice new, bigger garage with a bunch of shelves for oil cans. I think if i didn't, i would always wonder what was in there. Just for the entertainment alone! (hours of treasure hunting) Have fun!

#224171 - Sat Jan 08 2011 09:00 AM Re: When a garage find is the garage itself. [Re: KZ1000]
THE AMERICAN GARAGE Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: PECONIC BAY, L.I., NY, USA
Originally Posted By: KZ1000
the cans are cool but its the ugliest garage I have ever saw, If it is saved it would be just like another roadside attraction like the "Worlds biggest Hair Ball" in the Chevy Chase movie.

LOL! I BELIEVE THAT WAS THE WORLD'S BIGGEST BALL OF STRING, NOT **COUGH-COUGH HAIR-BALL COUGH!** wink

#224179 - Sat Jan 08 2011 09:15 AM Re: When a garage find is the garage itself. [Re: THE AMERICAN GARAGE]
KZ1000 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Mass
Originally Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Originally Posted By: KZ1000

LOL! I BELIEVE THAT WAS THE WORLD'S BIGGEST BALL OF STRING, NOT **COUGH-COUGH HAIR-BALL COUGH!** wink

SEE, my exact point, years from now it would be known as the garage built with coffee cans. A Meaningless building IMO

#224193 - Sat Jan 08 2011 10:15 AM Re: When a garage find is the garage itself. [Re: KZ1000]
Oldgas Offline

Loc: South of St. Louis, MO USA
Please take a picture of the roof framing when you open things up. The round roof may have some interesting structure to it. Certainly had some unusual wall framing!

#224201 - Sat Jan 08 2011 10:52 AM Re: When a garage find is the garage itself. [Re: Oldgas]
gasoildude Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Oneida IL USA
If they are curved trusses those could also be sold for some extra cash smile

#224203 - Sat Jan 08 2011 11:03 AM Re: When a garage find is the garage itself. [Re: gasoildude]
Dick Bennett Offline
Veteran Member

CAUTION:...BAR REJECTED Comedians have raised their ugly heads on oldgas...!

#224207 - Sat Jan 08 2011 12:24 PM Re: When a garage find is the garage itself. [Re: Dick Bennett]
Craig Osbeck Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Portland Oregon
There is a big difference in cans in mortar with lime than cans in dirt. I am sure that there is going to be some deconstruction return money especially if you do most of the work yourself. If the concrete is packed tight it will be less recovery value, and I wonder if all the cans are empty. Then were do you store all the cans while you do the deconstruction so that they are not getting more dented and scratched? May be a big party of old gas guys and lots of boxes. Check the upper structure and maybe some nice items up there. you will be starting all over with the foundation anyway, so there goes the slab also. Do you have to remove it? Less cost to keep it and build another.

#224215 - Sat Jan 08 2011 01:44 PM Re: When a garage find is the garage itself. [Re: Craig Osbeck]
Dick Bennett Offline
Veteran Member

Cribbing & replacing a section at a time IF the foundation is good, is what some of us are suggesting.

Edited by Dick Bennett (Sat Jan 08 2011 01:49 PM)

#224220 - Sat Jan 08 2011 01:59 PM Re: When a garage find is the garage itself. [Re: Dick Bennett]
POLESIGNKID Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: CINCINNATI,OHIO
what about the calcium in the mortar .....

AKA PARIS HILTON!

#224223 - Sat Jan 08 2011 02:06 PM Re: When a garage find is the garage itself. [Re: POLESIGNKID]
K W FRITH Online   content
Veteran Member

Loc: Devils Lake, ND---USA
I wonder what several hundred Polly cans,Avio cans,or Palomino cans encased in mortar are worth$$$$$
I would have to look and see what was there. Its kinda like a time capsule. What cans were around back when that old building was constructed??
Cell#-701-739-6133

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun, Watchdog9 

Click on magnifying glass icon on lower left to search eBay

Copyright © 2017 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved