Oldgas.com Home

Home | Help | Events | Books | Pictures | Auctions | Links | Collectors | Parts | Contact

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#258076 - Thu Jun 09 2011 04:18 PM Re: When a garage find is the garage itself. [Re: THE AMERICAN GARAGE]
Dick Bennett Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Santa Paula, Calif
Let's see a picture of inside the roll-off dumpster.
Before sending the dumpster off, put a few of those better cans on ebay. Cans that I was throwing/walking away from are selling on ebay [don't post pictures of walls on ebay where they were found].

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#258112 - Thu Jun 09 2011 09:24 PM Re: When a garage find is the garage itself. [Re: Dick Bennett]
VW (o\!/o) NUT Offline

Loc: Spooner, WI
I'll post a couple of pics of the dumpster fodder. Most everything we tossed was in very poor condition.

#258323 - Sat Jun 11 2011 11:09 AM Re: When a garage find is the garage itself. [Re: VW (o\!/o) NUT]
VW (o\!/o) NUT Offline

We're starting on the top of the final wall.
You can see they smashed the top row of cans to make the header fit.

These are the cans in the dumpster.

#258375 - Sat Jun 11 2011 07:42 PM Re: When a garage find is the garage itself. [Re: VW (o\!/o) NUT]
Scott Baselt Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Gualala, CA
Now that's a full dumpster !

#258402 - Sat Jun 11 2011 10:20 PM Re: When a garage find is the garage itself. [Re: Scott Baselt]
Dick Bennett Offline
Veteran Member

Have ya done a Rough estimate of how many cans were there? Could make a Guessing Contest out of that! LOL
Some of the RED/BLUE band White cans [PERMALUBE], top left in last picture look good enough to save. I'm sure some of the Newbie collectors would love to have some of the cans you consider as Junk. I realize that you can't save all & some are not worth saving.

Hope you do an article w/ pictures of your find for one or both of the Petro Magazines.

#258438 - Sun Jun 12 2011 07:48 AM Re: When a garage find is the garage itself. [Re: Dick Bennett]
THE AMERICAN GARAGE Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: PECONIC BAY, L.I., NY, USA
I'D BE AT THAT DUMPSTER ALL DAY WITH A PAIR OF METAL SHEARS CREATING POP ART! laugh

#258447 - Sun Jun 12 2011 08:36 AM Re: When a garage find is the garage itself. [Re: THE AMERICAN GARAGE]
r49th Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: clio, michigan usa
I think you mean oilart.

#258451 - Sun Jun 12 2011 09:03 AM Re: When a garage find is the garage itself. [Re: r49th]
DasFast1 Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Kearney, NE
HEY DB!! There's your source for lids and bottoms LOL!!!

#258456 - Sun Jun 12 2011 09:22 AM Re: When a garage find is the garage itself. [Re: DasFast1]
Dick Bennett Offline
Veteran Member

LOL
BUT, takes soo much time recovering just the lids!
Try opening a can of Tuna, W/O destroying the lid & can be re-sealed to look like it was never opened = time.

#258866 - Mon Jun 13 2011 10:42 PM Re: When a garage find is the garage itself. [Re: dodgeman60]
Cat-Man Offline

Loc: NE Florida
Pardon Me but that stuff they are imbedded in looks like cement, is it?

#258885 - Tue Jun 14 2011 06:38 AM Re: When a garage find is the garage itself. [Re: Cat-Man]
THE AMERICAN GARAGE Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: PECONIC BAY, L.I., NY, USA
Originally Posted By: Cat-Man
Pardon Me but that stuff they are imbedded in looks like cement, is it?

DEF LOOKS LIKE IT TO ME...OR AT LEAST SOME FORM OF IT COVERED POSSIBLY BY STUCCO ON THE OUTSIDE (AND INSIDE?).

#259829 - Tue Jun 21 2011 08:34 PM Re: When a garage find is the garage itself. [Re: THE AMERICAN GARAGE]
VW (o\!/o) NUT Offline

Yes. It is cement.
Some portions of the walls broke apart fairly easily, the rest hammered apart like they were made of... ahem, cement.

These cans were in the wall side-by-side. Some were nice, some were not.
We suppose that some manufacurers used a higher quality of paint than others. ie Penzoil held up the best.

The walls are finally down and all cans that were worth rescuing are in good hands.

All cleaned up. "THANK YA' JESUS" (said with gusto and a southern drawl) smile

Time permitting, I will be posting pix of some of the cans tomorrow.

#259832 - Tue Jun 21 2011 08:38 PM Re: When a garage find is the garage itself. [Re: VW (o\!/o) NUT]
K W FRITH Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Devils Lake, ND---USA
Looking foreward to the pictures!!
Cell#-701-739-6133

#259854 - Tue Jun 21 2011 10:51 PM Re: When a garage find is the garage itself. [Re: K W FRITH]
Dick Bennett Offline
Veteran Member

At one time there must have been an article in Popular Mechanic's Magazine as there have been Several houses/garages all over the country built w/ cans/bottles [in High Desert of Calif & some in New Mexico have been discovered].

#259917 - Wed Jun 22 2011 04:49 PM Re: When a garage find is the garage itself. [Re: Dick Bennett]
VW (o\!/o) NUT Offline

OK guys. Here's a few pix.

I saved a couple of pieces of cement that showed an imprint of the can.
These were unusual because most of the cement broke as we hammered down the walls. We called them fossils.

Here is a few of the cans. Some were one-of-a-find. Others were common.

The rest of the photos are of the same cans only a little closer.

[img]http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/naw48005/DSCN3075.jpg[/img]

I would love to hear your comments, feedback, criticism, whatever. Thanks.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun, Watchdog9 

Click on magnifying glass icon on lower left to search eBay

Copyright © 2017 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved