Oldgas.com Home

Home | Help | Events | Books | Pictures | Auctions | Links | Collectors | Parts | Contact

Topic Options
#216038 - Mon Nov 29 2010 07:56 PM TEXACO MOTOR OIL FLANGE SIGN
blacktee Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Saline, Mi USA
I wrote this seller last week, telling him I thought his sign was a reproduction. Price was at BIN $2950.00.... He wrote me back with the simple word Thanks and the following day he lowered the BIN to $2350.00.... A few days went by and I looked up the auction again to see that it sold for $1850.00...

Someone's going to have a real headache when they find out. Does anyone know this clown ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=380292233712&si=WAK%252BrrH1VMGetrLDnQORL7dilkQ%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

#220156 - Sun Dec 19 2010 07:48 PM Re: TEXACO MOTOR OIL FLANGE SIGN [Re: blacktee]
57tbirdkid Offline
TBA Feature Host

Loc: NY
Someone Paid $1850 UH oh...Def A repro.

#220160 - Sun Dec 19 2010 07:59 PM Re: TEXACO MOTOR OIL FLANGE SIGN [Re: 57tbirdkid]
HI-OCTANE Online   happy
Veteran Member

Loc: Albuquerque, N. M.
Call me uniformed. But how can you tell this sign in not real ? Looks good to me from the pictures.

#220184 - Sun Dec 19 2010 09:47 PM Re: TEXACO MOTOR OIL FLANGE SIGN [Re: HI-OCTANE]
57tbirdkid Offline
TBA Feature Host

Loc: NY
My honest opinion. This sign looks good-to good- Most of the flange signs I have seen in this style have a white flange not a black flange. The black border on the top also looks way to thick compared to other flanges of the same style. Maybe an expert can chime in and give their opinion. This sign is way to clean for the age. But you never know. I would not buy it.

Edited by 57tbirdkid (Sun Dec 19 2010 09:49 PM)

#220199 - Sun Dec 19 2010 10:50 PM Re: TEXACO MOTOR OIL FLANGE SIGN [Re: 57tbirdkid]
advertologist Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: So. Ca.
The originals have a white flange

#220229 - Mon Dec 20 2010 08:32 AM Re: TEXACO MOTOR OIL FLANGE SIGN [Re: advertologist]
K W FRITH Online   content
Veteran Member

Loc: Devils Lake, ND---USA
Heres a real one!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Cell#-701-739-6133

#220301 - Mon Dec 20 2010 03:11 PM Re: TEXACO MOTOR OIL FLANGE SIGN [Re: K W FRITH]
Bob Richards Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Longview, WA
57tbirdkid and the newer members, you will get to know the membership better and better the longer you stay on Oldgas. As to having an "expert" chime in on the sign, we already have one who has done so.

Blacktee is just about the top expert on Texaco that I've met and/or talked to. Before he started selling, he had one of the top collections around.

Here is the address to his website; http://billstexaco.com/default.aspx

I'm proud to say that I am Doug's friend. A number of Texaco items in my collection have come from Doug and Erol.

Between Doug and Erol Tuzcu I don't think there are more expert people on Texaco. If Erol's name seems familiar, take a look at Rick Pease' book: "A Tour with Texaco" according to Mr. Pease 98% of all photos in the book were from Erol's collection. Doug and Erol are very close friends.

So if Blacktee says something is a repop or fake, one can take the information to the bank.

If I came across as harsh, that was not my intent. Hard for some of us who have been around for awhile, to remember who collects what and are they a "hard-core" collector who completely knows the history and items made or just a collector who has a number of items. I am the later type of collector. I have a number of different items, but don't know the "down and dirty" history of the companies I collect items of.

Edited by Bob Richards (Mon Dec 20 2010 03:51 PM)

#220305 - Mon Dec 20 2010 03:33 PM Re: TEXACO MOTOR OIL FLANGE SIGN [Re: Bob Richards]
HI-OCTANE Online   happy
Veteran Member

Loc: Albuquerque, N. M.
This why this web sight is so good. There are so many guys on here that have been around this stuff and been in the hobby way before me. And teach us rookies what to look for. Appreciate your guys knowledge . wink

#220792 - Wed Dec 22 2010 11:37 AM Re: TEXACO MOTOR OIL FLANGE SIGN [Re: HI-OCTANE]
gasoildude Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Oneida IL USA
Looks like a $1850 mistake for the buyer. Ouch eek

#224667 - Mon Jan 10 2011 04:41 PM Re: TEXACO MOTOR OIL FLANGE SIGN [Re: gasoildude]
J.E.Radebaugh Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Gracey, Kentucky
The same seller now has an original that he's selling (it looks original to me)

eBay# 380306531261

Collecting Texaco and Havoline Signs, Cans, and Giveaways.
texacosigns@gmail.com

Moderator:  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun, Watchdog5 

Click on magnifying glass icon on lower left to search eBay

Copyright © 2017 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved