Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#22543 Wed Jan 11 2006 03:27 PM
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
Here's my 2 cents.
I'm glad people have taken the steps/time to copyright or whatever it takes to reproduce old images.
I dont have the time or resources to research these things but I sure like being able to buy them. Whether it's your run of the mill round Texaco sign to some rare 1 of a kind image, I like seeing it again.

And like most of you, I cant afford too many originals of anything. If you want a cheap sign that looks nice you go repo.
Now if you are the guy selling the repo's it is only wise to protect the time and money you took to get the rights. Why create competition when you dont have to?
Example:If you find a ton of pumps/signs and cant buy them all right now, do you rush out to tell everyone here's where the deals are?

Now copyrights dont keep the few guys that are out there that want to recreate an image for their personal use in their garage.
But if you are going to go into business with the image, you need to ibide by the law to avoid getting sued and or prevent competition(unless they want to pay to use it).

It's a shame when live in such a litigious society but that's the environment we created. If something is public domain and anybody can use it-run with it. If somebody owns it and beat you to your idea-sorry.
That how a democratic nation works, free enterprise.

The only people I have a problem with(and I'm sure all will agree) is people selling repos as original. As long as I know what I'm getting for what I paid for it, I'm fine.

We would not have ANY reproduced signs if people hadnt taken the time and money to find out how to legally reproduce them.
You would be forced to find all originals for any restoration you would do. Create your own decals and ad glass. Think that would be fun or affordable?

I dont want to offend anyone on this great website but I do see both sides of the picture.
Whatever you do in life some people will not be happy with the results- even when you are doing a good thing.

Sincerely
Mark Standard

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#22544 Wed Jan 11 2006 03:49 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Not Changing the subject.

If you own a piece of property with water on it. Unless you have the rights to it assigned by law, you don't own it. Someone else can file for it and get it, and stop you from using it. And if the person who last owned can't be found. It will be reassigned.

The law is what makes America Free. I know at times it seems unfair. CHANGE THE LAW if you are not satisfied.

I think if you are going to buy a repro globe. Why not 1 set of 30. Instead of 1 set of ????????? Larry

In memory of DB 9/12/49 - 8/28/14
#22545 Wed Jan 11 2006 03:49 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Scoot dog. No, you can't copyright those. You didn't hit the websites, did you?? (LOL) Those are (can't find exact name) national ownership items. They belong to the country.
Those of you talking about reproducing a globe image. Owning a globe, even one of a kind, does not give you the right to reproduce it. You, also, are not obligated to lend it to someone to make an image. But, if you put and image of it on a website and the image is not protected...there is the possibility for it to be used. There are sections of copyright laws that refer to websites etc and those protections.
Go look at one of the websites I posted above and see how convoluted and confusing this issue is.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
#22546 Wed Jan 11 2006 04:10 PM
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Sounds like the fox is guarding the hen house here....ouch!!!!

#22547 Wed Jan 11 2006 04:10 PM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
I think we are at times confusing getting licensed to make a certain piece with finding an image in the public domain and laying claim to it. I think what most people are concerned with is the fact that someone could conceivably trademark every desireable oil co logo in the public domain thus limiting the marketplace to just those oil company logos that are available for licensing. I don't think it's likely unless someone was just rich and mean and that still hinges on whether this particular case turns out to have merit.

I for one, am in an entirely different boat, in that my biggest selling logos are used under license to major oil companies. I haven't gotten overly excited about this because the logos that move in mass are the ones under license to the big-boy oil companies. Take Polly for example. It is one of the most aesthetically pleasing lenses I carry, but plain old Texaco Star outsells it 50 to 1. My favorite globes are Hudson & Frontier, but I bet I don't sell 10 globes of each in a year! Just for fun, I ran a sales history for the 2005 year on my globe lenses. I carry roughly 85 different logos. The Top 10 sellers (all licensed to oil companies & GM) accounted for roughly 70% of my sales and the other 75 globes accounted for the other 30%. Now, I realize, my situation is different but I am still an enthusiast at my core and I for one like the idea of guys being able to make short-runs of some of the old public domain globes without fear of a backlash. I think it is healthy for the hobby for their to be creative alternatives. There is an evolution of a pump builder that takes place. When they do their first 5-10, Texaco & Mobil & Shell are just fine, but after that some of them want something different. Now, it's not feasible for me to go make 200 PDQ lenses, because I'll probably take 180 of them to my grave. That's where these short-run limited edition guys come in. Even though I don't get the globe sale, that pump builder now has a reason to do another pump (becaues they bought this cool new globe) and that in turn helps me sell parts. Whatever happens in these cases, I hope common-sense wins out before the attorneys do! (sorry if I offended any attorneys on this board).

[This message has been edited by Seth Robbins (edited 01-11-2006).]

#22548 Wed Jan 11 2006 04:12 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Edited this post. No reason to throw more kindling on the fire. Its just a feud going on.

Any takers on when the thread gets closed? Larry

[This message has been edited by st.rod (edited 01-11-2006).]

#22549 Wed Jan 11 2006 04:20 PM
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
As a post-thought on this...sounds as though the hobby is reaching it's saturation point. Instead of having fun it is going to the corporate level.

I guess this happens eventually when people quit acting like true hobbyists and become pseudo-legalists and investors seeking high income gain from somebody else's yearn for nostalgia. Nostalgia knows no price. (Requiem for a hobbyist and YES this has been copyrighted thanks)

#22550 Wed Jan 11 2006 04:36 PM
U
U
Well boys...I know I'm new here...and might I add this is a **** way to be introduced to people on this sight, but sounds to me like all of you boys have a little sand in your ***** because T-Way thought of this idea before you did! What the heck is wrong with him making some money out of it!

Cartman lives forever...yeah that's cooool!!!!

Edit to remove an explicit word. Let's keep this discussion on a family acceptable level.

[This message has been edited by Oldgas (edited 01-11-2006).]

#22551 Wed Jan 11 2006 04:41 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
HAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAA. Welcome, Welcome not normally so tense here! Larry

#22552 Wed Jan 11 2006 04:46 PM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
We all signed the user agreement when we posted on oldgas:

Users who violate this agreement or act against the best interests of the Oldgas.com community are subject to temporary or permanent suspension at the discretion of the moderators.

I most feel that what tway is doing is ethically wrong and not in the best interest of this community. Why should he be allowed to copy images found on this site for his personal gain. I want a safe place to post my photos and if this is not the place for that then where?

Scott
Wanted- Powerine and Powerlube items!
#22553 Wed Jan 11 2006 04:48 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
BigCheesepetro.com

#22554 Wed Jan 11 2006 04:56 PM
U
U
What does cheese have to do with this?

#22555 Wed Jan 11 2006 04:56 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Midway: Do you mean that I am a fox guarding the hen house?? If so, not me. I do not or have not reproduced any oil and gas items and have no interest in doing so. Just throwing in my two cents.

Seth: Excellent comments, as usual.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
#22556 Wed Jan 11 2006 04:57 PM
M
Mac Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Scootdog,

Is it yet an established fact that T-Way got the image of Roger's Fyre Drop globe from this site? I'd rather hear from T-Way before we go making assumptions. Not taking any sides and I respect your opinions, just want to hear from T-Way first hand. I'd like to hear what he has to say about where he obtained the image to develop the image he is producing on the globe.

Come on, T-Way, where did you get the image to produce the lens. We're all curious aren't we?

As far as the new guy is concerned, not sure about the sand issue yet, but welcome to the site. Not sure about the appropriateness of your comments as a new comer to the site, but if the site doesn't allow it, you'll find out soon enough.

Mac

#22557 Wed Jan 11 2006 04:59 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Cheese's site is just MELLOW

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved