Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#22558 Wed Jan 11 2006 05:01 PM
U
U
Didn't mean to upset ya there Mac...just a small observation...

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#22559 Wed Jan 11 2006 05:04 PM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
You are correct that we don't want to judge without hearing the other side of the storry however I can speak about the bearcat and if Tway produces it then he got it from this site. There ARE NO other examples other then the one posted.

Research, old photos, etc my rear. Admit it the images of the originals were emailed to you.

Scott
Wanted- Powerine and Powerlube items!
#22560 Wed Jan 11 2006 05:17 PM
M
Mac Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
uwishuthoughtofit,

Didn't upset me at all. I know what you meant. Just didn't want to see you get some folks upset on this site. It is a family type site and not sure how some might respond...that's all.

Scootdog,

At this point, I think we need to sit back and wait for T-Way's response. Where did the image come from to reproduce the image on a globe? That is a fairly easy question and I assume that T-Way will answer that question when he reads the many many posts on this issue. It's a great thing to have an opinion. I have mine, but I'd like to give T-Way a chance to speak up. After all, he did come to the table and admit that this topic was revolving around him when the initial post began.

Let the man speak..... T-Way WHERE ARE YOU!!!!

Mac

#22561 Wed Jan 11 2006 05:24 PM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
T-Way and I had a discussion about where he derived his images and I think he uses a conglomeration of different images to come up with his image. The reason we had this discussion was because I had one of his previous partners in my shop summer before last I remembered him taking a photograph of an old Boyle-Dayton skin I had with a nice PDQ decal on it. I never really thought of it until I saw some of the new PDQ stuff being reproduced. Fact of the matter is, I couldn't care less at the time, and now I couldn't care ANY MORE less.
Jim may or not respond, and don't think any less of him if he doesn't as I'm sure his attorney will ring his neck if he does.

[This message has been edited by Seth Robbins (edited 01-11-2006).]

#22562 Wed Jan 11 2006 05:28 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I do want to clarify something. Just because I posted my globe on here I don't want anyone to think I am assuming he got it from here, just a chance. I went back and looked in my 1999 pink globe book by Benjamin/Henderson and sure enough there is a picture in there of Sam Blakely's globe like mine when west coast collector Tom Licouris owned it. I do believe though, that you are not supposed to reproduce anything out of that book either as it is copyrighted.

#22563 Wed Jan 11 2006 05:31 PM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
I don't think anyone thinks you are implying that Roger....I think more than anything you were pointing how petty of an issue this could degenerate into. If anybody knows about a lawsuit as it pertains to this hobby it's Roger Cherry. Heard you were moving Roger...email me @ robbins61@cox.net

#22564 Wed Jan 11 2006 05:33 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
With all due respect Seth you may not care now what happend with that PDQ image but someday you might want to make some. Maybe even one to put on a pump for yourself. Then you proudly post the picture of the pump in the Showcase and Stories section and then maybe you find yourself in court. Got to look at the big picture and where this could lead the hobby.
Looks like straight to court.

#22565 Wed Jan 11 2006 05:37 PM
M
Mac Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
"Conglomeration of images" sounds like fancy words "exact reproduction of an original" from what I've seen of the globe he's making. I'd still like to hear from T-Way. Not sure if my post on "fair use" has caused him to "clam up" or if he's not around to read these posts.

I would like T-Way to state here on this site where he obtained the images to reproduce the globe. "Conglomeration of images" just doesn't get it done for me. If I were to reproduce an image of a Wayne 60, I couldn't simply say that I arrived at an image of the Wayne 60 and copyrighted the image through a "conglomeration of images" if it looks identical to a Wayne 60. The shape and lines of a Wayne 60 is inherent to a Wayne 60 and no other pump. Hey.............an idea is emerging. Wonder if I can beat you all to the punch.

T-Way, please speak up. This is a very confusing topic. I'm not taking sides. I'm very interested in this topic. I have no sand in any hidden crevices and I am not on anyone's side regarding this issue.

Mac

#22566 Wed Jan 11 2006 05:40 PM
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
very interesting... ALL the posts... good education... hey... if theres a buck in it and it is the American way well... why fault it... right ???... wrong in my world... you can go to court and argue morals and ethics but guess what ... you lose !!!... let the lawyers fight it out.. hell... if you win lose or draw.. guess what you can expect in the mail... right on... the lawyers bill... AND.... this is a hobby ????... guess again... got alot more to say but i don't feel like getting booted tonight....

#22567 Wed Jan 11 2006 05:42 PM
U
U
Mac...Thanks for clarifing that you have no sand hidden any where! You had me worried for a second! LOL (just kidding...)

#22568 Wed Jan 11 2006 05:43 PM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
I understand Rarin' To Go, what you are saying. It's just that I don't think I've ever assumed it would come to this. Like I said in earlier posts, I understand the ramifications of the outcome of this as it pertains to the whole hobby/industry. I for one am hoping for a peaceful resolution and that things can get back to normal around here. There dang sure isn't enough money in this stuff to be bringing lawyers into it.

[This message has been edited by Seth Robbins (edited 01-11-2006).]

#22569 Wed Jan 11 2006 05:51 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Thats what I thought Seth. I mean about the money. So you make a limited run of 30 globes a spend the money to copyright it. Then you decide to go to court to protect your "copyright". I would think that there go the profits from the globe. Right to the lawyers and such.

#22570 Wed Jan 11 2006 06:11 PM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
HERE'S MY TWO CENTS

SOME OF YOU KNOW MY FEELINGS ALREADY ABOUT REPRODUCTIONS... HERE'S A THOUGHT ABOUT AN OLD THREAD DEALING WITH REPRODUCING GILL GLOBES.

WHEN WE GO TO AUCTIONS, CAN WE START TEARING A MANS GLOBE APART TO MAKE SURE IT'S REAL OR NOT. THIS IS EXACTLY WHERE THIS IS HEADING... YOU THINK I'M CRAZY ???

WATCH AND SEE...

THIS WHOLE THREAD, BOTH SIDES OF THE COIN ABOUT EVERYTHING, MAKE ME SICK TO MY STOMACH.

DOUG (BLACKTEE)

#22571 Wed Jan 11 2006 07:13 PM
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Alex---NO WAY you are the fox...I was thinking of another person involved here....

Seth is right. For goodness sakes keep the lawyers out of this. Those guys are just bottom feeders and are destroying our American way of life---

This is a very interesting discussion. Opens lots of comments, a good many 'what if's' being presented here. Let's hear the truth. I'm like Mac....just WHERE did the Fyre Drop globe image come from? A conglomeration of ideas or whatever is awfully vague.....

#22572 Wed Jan 11 2006 07:19 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
In the end, if it involves control over producing items for sale, its about economics (money). Items that were in the public domain for sooo long should be left there. Others don't see in that way as there are "investments" involved, thus investments to protect. Limiting items almost always has the effect of driving prices up. Scarcity creates value to the beholder or to the person or person(s) who stand to reap the benefits of the scarcity. In my opinion, trends in the hobby that benefit as many as possible are desirable. Those trends or changes that do not benefit the majority in this hobby are less desirable. Hopefully the trends that are not beneficial to the majority will be few in number and weak.

Dave Folck
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved