Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Oldgas Online Cool OP
OP Online Cool
Another forum category has been proposed for Petroliana Value Questions. They have been part of the General Petroliana Discussion forum.

Vote your preference to make a new forum or keep value questions in General Discussion.

Split off petro collectible value questions into a new forum?
single choice
Make a new forum for Value Questions (64%, 53 Votes)
Keep Value Questions in General Discussion (36%, 30 Votes)
Total Votes: 83
Voting on this poll ends: Fri Jan 21 2011 09:00 PM

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A Value Forum would be great IF comments were kept just to the value.
Would make for easier scanning w/o;
"I like your sign"
"would look good in/on my Barn/Fence/Wall/Collection/etc."
"I bought mine 5yrs ago for $XXX in better condition"
"here is what it looks like in better condition"

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
yes i agree with DB only if it were for asking "hey, what's this sign/can worth" and getting a response that applies to todays market. ex: Q= hey guys whats this can worth? A= $25 IMO.

Oldgas Online Cool OP
OP Online Cool
We would have to come up with some guidelines so that it stays on track and doesn't turn into a mixture of For Sale, Showcase or General Discussion forum.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
A Value Forum would be great IF comments were kept just to the value.
Would make for easier scanning w/o;
"I like your sign"
"would look good in/on my Barn/Fence/Wall/Collection/etc."
"I bought mine 5yrs ago for $XXX in better condition"
"here is what it looks like in better condition"

Here are the Guidelines we should go by........

***Wanted*** Always looking for Oilzum, Kunz, and Husky Cans, Signs and Smalls.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I agree, it's to easy to get off track. Value only...if that's possible!

Barry
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
DB is right on,Value only. When some of us veteran collectors that's been around awhile state a value, our opinions are based on knowledge gained from years of being in the hobby, going to swap meets,car shows,antique shows,auctions and trends over time. most of this is in our heads. While my opinion on something may be different from DB in california,KZ in the east or Paddy in the south, it's our opinions based on our personal experience. So whoever asks for value on an item, expect to get differing opinions and weigh them all collectively to draw your own conclusion as these are just that, our opinions. ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;Ron

Originally Posted By: bmclemore
Value only...if that's possible!

Could be tough.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If you add a new forum, you'll need the additional guidelines to keep comments focused on value....and the moderators will have to devote more time to making sure those guidelines are followed. Jim & Ryan, do you really want to add to your work load? It's easy to sit back and say the site should have this or that, but the people saying that aren't the ones that have to spend their time making sure the rules are followed. More guidelines or rules = more work for the mods. The mods will have to edit or delete more posts which = which will give more members something to complain about.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Another guideline should be no "I saw someone ASKING $$$$$ on Ebay or Craigslist" ....only sold for should be accepted. This one is really one of my pet peeves!

Jim

Wanted: Wadhams - Bartles - O'neils - Items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
FIRST AND FOREMOST ARE DECENT PICTURES OF SAID ITEM LOOKING FOR VALUATION. ALOT OF TIMES ONLY ONE PICTURE IS PROVIDED OF A CAN, SIGN, GLOBE OR A PUMP. SEEING/VIEWING ALL SIDES OF AN ITEM IN QUESTION IS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY TO GET AN HONEST OPINION. CLOSE-UPS OF TROUBLE AREAS AND DATES/MFGRS ARE ALSO A PLUS SINCE MOST OF THE APPRAISERS
CAN'T BE THERE TO HANDLE THE ITEM. JM3C!

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I voted for the new forum on values because I would hope the seperation might encourage more interesting discussions under the regular forum.If you recall,there have been a few recently that made us as a group really think,analyze and try to help people with what I considered worthwhile projects.

I think that is an area where our knowledge and experience can really be of benefit to newbies and veterans alike.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
My pet peeve is people who get on here and ask the value on EVERY item they purchase. Like stated above, there are other places to do your own research. I'm not saying I haven't asked values before either, but it does get old seeing the same people post "what's it worth" all the time.

Last edited by Tara Worsham; Thu Jan 20 2011 11:04 AM. Reason: spelling
D
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
D
I agree with Tara. Like I just replied to JimmyD's post on globes, do LOTS of studying and leg work before jumping on here every 5 minutes asking what the item is worth. The internet is a wonderful tool, for sure, on so many levels. It should take about 5 minutes on Ebay to see what a common can or item is worth in today's market. I use it all the time to get ideas of value and I work from there and make my own decision.
I too have asked over the years for values, but generally those have been in regards to really top grade or hard to find items which are harder to research the generic easy ways, and the help of experts in our field is my best option.
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
Originally Posted By: Mr.Wadhams
Another guideline should be no "I saw someone ASKING $$$$$ on Ebay or Craigslist" ....only sold for should be accepted. This one is really one of my pet peeves!

Jim

Amen.

Collect small Oklahoma Oil Co.'s 1920's-1940's. Barnsdall, Cushing, Eason, Marland, etc.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved