Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The sub forum would be a asset & then all the grumpy old men could just stay away if they don't want to share there experience with anyone else ,or anything helpful,instead of making a comment that might turn a newcomer away from the hobby,"AND HURT THERE FEELINGS" they won't understand that it might just be someones "SINCE OF HUMOR" or there "CHARTER DEFECTS" & be turned away for good!It's a shame because it's "THE GRUMPIER OLD MEN" with all the "TANGIBLE EXPERIENCE"......anyways, I'm all for the section!Jim has a good point ,about other venues & what sellers are asking,we all know there are alot of folk's that are "VERY" proud of there stuff & put prices that make no since,current market is "ALL"that matters to me & what someone is willing to pay! I would really like to see the forum make it! It just burns some of these folks hemorrhoids up to see a young whipper snapper get a sign in the wild & then come to the board & get a price and not sell it to them ,THEY wanna be the one who is "BEATING" you out of your sign "that's all"and lash out when you ask about info & value! The young little urban kid's here down south call them type folk's HATERS! LOL........... laugh

_1.jpg

CHRIS
BUYING ANYTHING EARLY HUMBLE OIL CO.
BUY SELL TRADE ORIGINAL GAS PUMP PARTS
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
Originally Posted By: Tara Worsham
My pet peave is people who get on here and ask the value on EVERY item they purchase. Like stated above, there are other places to do your own research. I'm not saying I haven't asked values before either, but it does get old seeing the same people post "what's it worth" all the time.

Tara is right. It can become board spam. How about limiting value request to a certain # per month? (Although it might be a nightmare for the mods to monitor)

Last edited by okoil1; Thu Jan 20 2011 10:55 AM.

Collect small Oklahoma Oil Co.'s 1920's-1940's. Barnsdall, Cushing, Eason, Marland, etc.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
My pet peeve is people who get on here and ask the value on EVERY item they purchase. Like stated above, there are other places to do your own research. I'm not saying I haven't asked values before either, but it does get old seeing the same people post "what's it worth" all the time.

...yep...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I post on a tractor forum that has a wonderful feature that could alleviate some of the pet peeves some of us have on this site. The tractor site allows users to add people who encourage dispute, or are just plain annoying to an ignore list.

You don't like reading the "what's it worth" topics from the same people every day? Add them to your ignore list.
Don't like reading posts by grumpy old men? Add them to your ignore list.
Don't like seeing someone post photoshopped pictures? Add them to your ignore list.

How 'bout it Jim? Can you add an ignore feature?

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I noticed that the price questions come in two categories...

1. What is this worth? (I am thinking of buying)

-and-

2. Was it worth what I paid for.

I am guessing #1 is asked by folks with a little bit of know how--at least to ask the experts on this forum--and can easily go into a separate category with concise pricing answers, and if # 2 is an impulse buy from a regular forum member, then that seperate category could work for #2.

Alot of the #2 questions though seem to start "I am new to this..." What if #2 is by a newbie who has no idea...

For the new person asking number 2, someone sending a pic "Here's mine in better condition" or "here is a similar product from the same company" might be more educational and could lead to follow-up questions about restoration, etc. How would the moderators stop the new person excited (or now mad) and about a purchase from follow up questions?

Also where would you put the duel questions such as -is this a repo and how much is it worth?- Would that be under the more stream lined category?

Something to think about...

Oldgas Online Cool OP
OP Online Cool
What? Did you say something to me, Bob? Let me turn off my "Ignore Everybody" filter for just a moment. lol

Sorry Bob, but that's not a feature available with this software. A new major upgrade has been promised for the UBB.threads software we use but I have no solid date for it to be released.

We do have some members who are "grumpy old men" and some very grumpy younger folks as well.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
My pet peeve is people who get on here and ask the value on EVERY item they purchase. Like stated above, there are other places to do your own research. I'm not saying I haven't asked values before either, but it does get old seeing the same people post "what's it worth" all the time.

Its good to know that members here are not willing to help a new person. There are many items I have asked about and I could not find a value on at ebay, or they were priced way too high to get a fair market value. I am glad to see this pole favors the new forum, because I would hate to make these grumps see another post titled whats the value, which apparently would ruin their whole day. grin

Thanks Oldgas for considering adding a new forum!

Last edited by D Phillips; Thu Jan 20 2011 01:32 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jim:

I beg to differ - that feature is currently available on this site.

Simply 'Click' on the registered users name on any of thier posts and select 'View Profile' from the drop-down menu.

Once their Profile loads - the 'Ignore this user' button/text is in the middle of the page in the 'tan' band. 'Click' on the text and you will no longer see any text in that user's future postings.

Later . . .

Jim

Originally Posted By: Oldgas
What? Did you say something to me, Bob? Let me turn off my "Ignore Everybody" filter for just a moment. lol

If we had that, I would not be able to ready any posts, LOL

Im torn weather to support this idea of another section or not. I think it would encourage more people to ask "what is this worth?" and I already think there is way to much of that going on. I also dont think that the moderators need any more sections that will need constant attention, especially if there are a bunch of guidelines for that section.

Its easy to say we need this or we need that. Put yourselves in my shoes for a day. Sometimes (especially lately) I spend literally hours editing, deleting, and moving topics. Adding yet another section with a bunch of rules will only increase this, in my opinion.

I dont know that I hate the idea, but Im not in love with it either. There have been some good points for it either way, but right now, I would have to say no.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Oldgas Online Cool OP
OP Online Cool
Originally Posted By: T-way

I beg to differ - that feature is currently available on this site.

Simply 'Click' on the registered users name on any of thier posts and select 'View Profile' from the drop-down menu.

Once their Profile loads - the 'Ignore this user' button/text is in the middle of the page in the 'tan' band. 'Click' on the text and you will no longer see any text in that user's future postings.

Thanks, T-way!
I was not aware of that because that option is not available to me as a moderator. I guess I'm doomed to have to see everything no matter what. lol
I just checked and saw a regular member can indeed block certain members just as you said.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
Ok, I will weigh in here, for what its worth. I am an "enthusiast" more than a real collector or buyer/seller. I enjoy coming here and just seeing what everyone is collecting and restoring.
Isn't this new proposed forum going to be a nightmare to monitor? Suppose a new guy to the hobby asks what a sign is worth and posts a pic. Maybe some guys think it isn't worth much because they believe its a repro. The new guy will ask why they think its a repro. Discussion ensues on if its original or not..and on and on.
It seems this all started because some people are apparently abusing the good graces of the experts here asking " whats it worth" all the time. Isn't the simple solution to simply not respond if you don't want to? That way we can help out sincere people/new guys and just ignore those who you think are taking advantage.
Finally, I will just add that I think the issue is deeper than this. Its obvious that some guys here do not like each other for whatever reason and take their shots when they can. We are a diverse bunch of people here, and it can't be expected that we will all be buds, but we all have one thing in common so we should try to focus on that.
Who wants a beer?
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hi John;

A beer sounds good to me! Next time I am in your area (I have not been to Vermont yet however!) I will give you a call and stop in for a cold one!

Seriously though folks, the Oldgas site is about exchanging information, sharing our latest purchases, and getting to know collectors who share the same passion we do. Do I like everyone I meet at shows or everyone I this site? The answer is NO. However, I am always glad to help ANYONE with advice.

I don't have strong feelings either way on whether to add another forum but it just sounds like more work for Jim and the rest of the Moderators.

I grew up in Hard working, God fearing family and I was always taught that if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all! Jim, if you want to add another forum that is ultimately your decision. In the meantime my advice to all collectors whether new collectors or veterans, is the same - Buy what you like and can afford and have fun collecting!

There, thats my 2 cents!

Lonnie

Wanted: Ripple Body Globes, picture globe, any Dixie Distributors keyhole gas pump globe and ANYTHING from Old Dutch Refining, Muskegon, MI Musgo sign
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
There are very good points across the board here & I agree with all of them. I think the biggest thing that rubs someone the wrong way is the negative or sarcastic remark about there idem or for them even asking the value question. I have very recently talked to members here that have had this happen & it really has rubbed them wrong the wrong way. So I think if the topic of the value of a item or items stays directly on the value of it will work out better for everyone. Also remember if someone lists that item on Ebay or Craigslist that is there choice & that it is there idem to do with as they please. JM2C smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
John & Lonnie very well put! quote:I was always taught that if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all! AMEN!

CHRIS
BUYING ANYTHING EARLY HUMBLE OIL CO.
BUY SELL TRADE ORIGINAL GAS PUMP PARTS
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks for the info T-way....Hmm, who should be the first on my list?

Ryan, BTDT. I'm one of the few that know how much time it takes to moderate this site. I remember when Jim asked me to be a moderator. He jokingly posted that I accepted the job before he could tell me what the pay was (nothing).

When I need a price on something I try the following:

Search COMPLETED auctions on ebay. It's useless to search current listings because most serious bidding happens in the last few minutes of the auction.

I look at the auction results that Matthews Auctions sends me.

I also look at auction results on Aumman Auctions website but for the most part their info is not current.

Or I call or email dealers or other collectors.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved