Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Quite frankly I'm amazed at the general tone of how annoyed many of the members, especially senior or well experienced members are at the questions posed on matters of value. I was of the opinion that Oldgas membership prided itself on helping others. I didn't realize only when it was deamed "important enough" to meet your high standards. "Back in the day" , as many of you old timers have boasted how you could find truck loads of items for little money. You also benefited early in the hobby of not having to deal with the mountains of reproduction an knock off material flooding the market. Valuation drives much of our hobby. Yes, there are those who seem to be looking to turn a buck. I'll bet there isn't person here who either hasn't sold an item or traded and did this based on "known" or perceived values. Don't misunderstand me. I'm all for someone doing some research/homework on their own and asking continually for values on everything they own can be overdone. Yes there may be some extra work on the part of moderators (who do an excellent job in my opinion) but I've always believed that work pays off in the end with a full service site that can't be outdone. I've benefited many times over from asking questions even when I was feeling a little stupid about the questions I was asking. I can say this much after reading through the majority of the posts, I'll certainly try not to waste anyone's time asking questions about value so as not to put anyone out based on their comments put down here.

........Dave

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
Originally Posted By: lordparaffin
Quite frankly I'm amazed at the general tone of how annoyed many of the members, especially senior or well experienced members are at the questions posed on matters of value. I was of the opinion that Oldgas membership prided itself on helping others. I didn't realize only when it was deamed "important enough" to meet your high standards. "Back in the day" , as many of you old timers have boasted how you could find truck loads of items for little money. You also benefited early in the hobby of not having to deal with the mountains of reproduction an knock off material flooding the market. Valuation drives much of our hobby. Yes, there are those who seem to be looking to turn a buck. I'll bet there isn't person here who either hasn't sold an item or traded and did this based on "known" or perceived values. Don't misunderstand me. I'm all for someone doing some research/homework on their own and asking continually for values on everything they own can be overdone. Yes there may be some extra work on the part of moderators (who do an excellent job in my opinion) but I've always believed that work pays off in the end with a full service site that can't be outdone. I've benefited many times over from asking questions even when I was feeling a little stupid about the questions I was asking. I can say this much after reading through the majority of the posts, I'll certainly try not to waste anyone's time asking questions about value so as not to put anyone out based on their comments put down here.

I agree...

I certainly think by having a separate forum for pricing would eliminate the complaints against those wanting prices to resale, add to their collection or just whatever. Those that do not wish to participate in helping another members regardless of their motives do not have to open the link and can continue enjoying the sight as they see fit. I have benefited from others not only at this sight but from collectors that do not use the internet and have found it helpful and could base a decision accordingly. This can be an expensive hobby and stepping in to start buying signs globes gas pumps can be very intimidating. I consider myself a collector and it has taken me 7 years of buying and selling to get me to the point where I feel satisfied with the quality, rarity and quantity that I have been able to assemble over the years. I have lost money and made money on the items I have purchased but I understand that when I buy frequently you are not always going to win on every deal. This is also a part of the educational process and you do your best to minimize the mistakes. I do not mind helping the people who are in this hobby no matter how long they have been collecting because we simply can not know everything about every sign globe gas pump etc. that is out there. I experience buyers/seller remorse often and know that will not change. I love this hobby and will always find room for one more sign, gas pump or globe!

Mike Hudson
303-916-3907
Oldgas Online Cool OP
OP Online Cool
A "volunteer" has agreed to be the moderator for the new forum. We will try the forum out to see if it is an improvement that is worth the effort.

I'll work on guidelines with the moderator and set up the new forum over the weekend. Hopefully this specialization will allow those who are willing to help, a place to do it as well as those who are annoyed by some aspects of it, to ignore it.

Thanks for all your ideas and opinions.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved