Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
J
I have a small but growing petroliana collection. My items come from auctions, yard sales, etc. I have never been to any gas shows, like the Chicagoland one coming up. Can someone like me expect to find reasonable deals at the show or can I expect to pay full retail? No, I'm not looking to buy a $300 sign for 50 bucks, but I'm also not too interested in traveling a couple hundred miles one way to a show and not buying anything. Do people price stuff to sell at these shows, or is it more of a show-what-you-got show? Thoughts on these types of petro shows would be greatly appreciated.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You will find items in every price range and condition at most all Gas shows, Not sure about Chicagoland

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i usually go to the peatone(fall and spring) and iowa gas show in august.one thing about shows is....you just never know.sometimes you will go and everything looks too expensive,then the last few hours or day come around and that 500.00 sign you were looking at just went down to 300.00.but if you wait to long,someone else might buy it. or if you get to a show early,you just might luck out and get a good buy right off the bat.but usually a vender will not go down much until the public has had a chance to go thru,but again not always true.most guys bring their stuff to the show to sell,and dont want to haul it to the next one.go to as many shows as you can,bring as much cash as you can,and get there early and leave late.and also ,very important...educate yourself as to what specific items you are looking for are worth so you can make a fair offer and you will eventually do good. jmho mick

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Mick gave you some good advice. I see you're from Michigan. I would suggest you attend Chicagoland (Peotone, IL) and the shows in Dayton and Columbus, OH. You could travel a little farther to the show in Evansville, IN; and of course Iowa Gas in Des Moines, IA.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You should also try to attend the Matthews petroliana auctions.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
and before tara tells me again,i WILL learn to spell Peotone!!LOL

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Lastgas,

When and where in Evansville is the gas show?

Brandon Ferguson
Central City, KY
Farm Related Advertising
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Its called the Petro Peddlers show. I think it's held in May. I'm sure Jarvis can give you the details.

Last edited by Lastgas15; Fri Jan 28 2011 04:50 PM.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A fellow stopped by my vendor spot at Hershey last year. He was from California, and told me he would travel in the opposite direction to get that show if he had to!! I agreed with him, and I live in Delaware!!!

see me at Mason Dixon Gas, Spring Carlisle M114-115, and Hershey C4E-35.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
For anyone getting into this hobby it is very important to attend shows, even if you DONT buy anything. That is the best way to meet fellow collectors and educate yourself about the hobby. Yes it's true, you might walk around all weekend and not find anything but on the other hand you may go and find a few great items.

Just my 2 cents??

Be sure to click on "Events" on the top horizontal menu on this page for swap meet info.
Also, check the "Petroliana News" forum for the latest auction info.
I try to keep the "Calendar" on the second horizontal menu updated with events in a calendar grid format.

Getting hands-on experience at the swap meets and auctions is highly recommended for all collectors, especially new ones.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
MICHIGAN GAS!!!! Also, there's a newspaper called "The Auction Exchange", I've subscribed for a couple of years now.... In Michigan, Rowley's Auctions does a decent amount of gas and oil stuff. Check out Auctionzip.com and click on the Michigan tab...

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
bwfergie,
The Evansville show or as it's called the Hoosier Petro Peddlers show is normally second Sat. in May. Rick Bonenburger puts on the show and it's a great time. It's a fast show... starts around 6:30am and over around 1:00pm. Be home for supper! LOL
What for details as we get closer to the show... Rick will post info. about the show.
I should talk to his brother soon as i have some stuff to take to him.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Sometimes auctions things go for much more than they are worth. The shows are a great way to meet people & make friends.

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Our local Flea market usually has a few cans, maps and signs. All common items. Prices range from outrageous to good deals. I have had a lot of good luck just searching my local craigslist daily. Never have to leave home to do that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved