Oldgas.com Home

Home | Help | Events | Books | Pictures | Auctions | Links | Collectors | Parts | Contact

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#230641 - Thu Feb 03 2011 01:54 PM eBay seller "lacie51"
gulfiend! Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina
...this seller has at least two pieces claimed to be vintage in the title, but the description goes on to say " There is no date or I.D. on the sign so I do not know the origin or history on this piece"...a Texaco aircraft sign and a Ford sign...both are as fake as the day is long...

#230642 - Thu Feb 03 2011 01:57 PM Re: eBay seller "lacie51" [Re: gulfiend!]
THE AMERICAN GARAGE Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: PECONIC BAY, L.I., NY, USA
I ALWAYS THOUGHT "VINTAGE" WAS A REFERENCE TO OLDER STYLE, NOT BEING ORIGINAL OR OLD. (???)

#230644 - Thu Feb 03 2011 02:08 PM Re: eBay seller "lacie51" [Re: THE AMERICAN GARAGE]
gulfiend! Offline
Veteran Member

...I've always understood 'vintage' to mean 'old and authentic', but this seller uses the term for things that ARE actually old, as well as obvious repros...

...as to pricing that fake Texaco sign starting at $649?...the price alone is misleading...

...it looks like they have an extensive line of 'old style' reproductions as well...read their descriptions - talk about your basic 'CYA' boilerplate...

...they even have fakes (and a flange!) patterned after the vintage, original Ford Dearborn tractor signs someone posted pics of on Oldgas last year or so...here is their description:

This item appears to be an NOS embossed Ford Tractor - Dearborn Farm Equipment sign in near mint condition. There is no date or manufacturer on this sign so therefore we are selling it with no known date or origin. This sign was part of a collection so therefore may have a few minor scratches and mars on the frame as shown in the images. The sign is has great embossing, all the key elements in the field of the sign are raised. There is no date on this sign. The sign has a wood frame and also wood frame backing. Please look over the images carefully prior to bidding. This sign would make a great item for the farm advertising collector. The sign measures 26" x 38"

Edited by gulfiend! (Thu Feb 03 2011 02:16 PM)

#230652 - Thu Feb 03 2011 03:17 PM Re: eBay seller "lacie51" [Re: gulfiend!]
Bob Richards Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Longview, WA
Vintage in collecting terminology, before the Internet; meant that an original item was between 50 and 100 yrs old.

Antique was an item over 100 yr old.

Now vintage can be/is described to be items from the 1980's and earlier.

Descriptions of the word "Antique" lately seem to run the gambit. Most of the time, people use the word to describe items anywhere from 90 to 40 years old, that includes some of the descriptions given here on Oldgas on certain items.

#230654 - Thu Feb 03 2011 03:23 PM Re: eBay seller "lacie51" [Re: Bob Richards]
KZ1000 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Mass
I agree Gulfiend, the Description is worded to make an unsuspecting buyer THINK they stumbled onto an original piece that others won't bid on thinking it's fake. Very deceiving.

#230666 - Thu Feb 03 2011 04:08 PM Re: eBay seller "lacie51" [Re: KZ1000]
keithia Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: USA
I use the word "vintage" in most of my auctions on ebay with that meaning old. Question is what is old or vintage?? I guess I view that as older than 1970. 1970's is not vintage or old to me as that was when I was born. Pre Keith is old or vintage and anything after that is not. LOL

Keith

#230671 - Thu Feb 03 2011 04:43 PM Re: eBay seller "lacie51" [Re: gulfiend!]
DIESEL Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: TEXAS
Bob is right according to ehow.com heres what came up!The term vintage refers to a particular span of time. Collectibles are items deemed worthy of collecting because of their history, manufacturing process or for personal or nostalgic reasons. Vintage items that are 100 years old or less. Items older than 100 years are referred to as antiques.

#230689 - Thu Feb 03 2011 05:47 PM Re: eBay seller "lacie51" [Re: DIESEL]
oldnfuelish Offline
FATW Feature Host

Loc: Antioch,IL
vintage origianaly came from winemakers refering to"The yield of wine or grapes from a vineyard or district during one season" so if you drink enough wine,you'll buy the sign??? crazy

#230695 - Thu Feb 03 2011 06:34 PM Re: eBay seller "lacie51" [Re: oldnfuelish]
archer2 Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Marshall Va USA
Originally Posted By: oldnfuelish
vintage origianaly came from winemakers refering to"The yield of wine or grapes from a vineyard or district during one season" so if you drink enough wine,you'll buy the sign??? crazy

I like the way you were able to bring alcohol into the discussion. A true professional.

#230712 - Thu Feb 03 2011 07:24 PM Re: eBay seller "lacie51" [Re: archer2]
57tbirdkid Offline
TBA Feature Host

Loc: NY
The seller does sell some real stuff but most of the time the prices are off the wall. I think you guys are 100% correct. The terminology used in the listing is very confusing.

Edited by 57tbirdkid (Thu Feb 03 2011 07:25 PM)

#230877 - Fri Feb 04 2011 04:16 PM Re: eBay seller "lacie51" [Re: 57tbirdkid]
POLESIGNKID Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: CINCINNATI,OHIO
He's been selling that stuff for awhile.......old style and vintage looking is just the long spelling for fake......and I can't believe people pay for these ....check out these seller's on ebay.....1954gasandoil and tiger27gto....watch some of their sign and see what they sell for....sometime over $200

AKA PARIS HILTON!

#230941 - Fri Feb 04 2011 08:38 PM Re: eBay seller "lacie51" [Re: POLESIGNKID]
Miken Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Destin, Fl
Does 1954gasandoil not sell original stuff. I hope I didnt get burned.

#230950 - Fri Feb 04 2011 08:55 PM Re: eBay seller "lacie51" [Re: Miken]
Bob Richards Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Longview, WA
Miken PM sent.

#230975 - Fri Feb 04 2011 10:22 PM Re: eBay seller "lacie51" [Re: Bob Richards]
Nicole Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Maryland
I noticed when I typed vintage during searches for what items/signage was on my 30's gas station porch, almost all the objects were listed as reproductions...

Nicole
(feeling close to vintage herself)

#231665 - Mon Feb 07 2011 12:45 PM Re: eBay seller "lacie51" [Re: Nicole]
gulfiend! Offline
Veteran Member

...Mike Smith just pointed out something curious about this seller in another thread...click on this link, and look at the large collection photos:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200565517556

"look at the pictures down below their description about their company. The 3rd and 6th picture down is of Miles Little's new showcase building and his personal collection"

...what in the world?...why would this seller have photos of someone else's items illustrating an ad for their business?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun, Watchdog5 

Click on magnifying glass icon on lower left to search eBay

Copyright © 2017 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved