Oldgas.com Home  
Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
gulfiend! #231683 Mon Feb 07 2011 12:39 PM
Hello forum members - this is Mike Mas who runs the eBay store under the user name of "Lacie 51". If I might be direct up front, I've had my store for close to 10 years now and I run a 100% by the book auction on my site. Most every item is "Clearly" marked either: Vintage (old and original items) or Old Style which is a sign that is modern in design.

I find it troubling for any forum member to make the claim that any of our signs are being sold as original when they are not. Both the Ford sign and the Texaco sign were just won at an auction in NC. I researched both signs prior to the auction, In addition, I have had a number of experts confirm these signs are both original and vintage. I assure you, I would not buy a sign to deceive any of our customers and secondly, I double assure you I paid a "Real Authentic" price for both of those pieces from the auction house.

What puzzles me, after 30 years of being around this business I still cannot look at a flat image on a screen to determine if a sign is 100% authentic or fake so I wonder how all these "so-called" experts can do it.

Lastly, for the guy who is "Baby Crying" about an image of a showcase pump on my store, that image is being used with the full consent of Mr. Miles Little as a typical pump that Mr. Miles had agreed to allow me to sell for him. In a period of a few months, RC Media has spent $30,000 to 40,000 with with Little so it's not like I'm taking advantage of anyone. If you don't belive me give Miles a call! Next time - please get your facts straight before you put your mouth in gear.

Best Regards- you guys really do have a great forum here!

Mike

Last edited by Mikemas; Mon Feb 07 2011 12:41 PM.
Mikemas #231690 Mon Feb 07 2011 01:01 PM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
YOU RESEARCHED THAT TEXACO SIGN.

I'M GOING TO LET SOMEONE ELSE MUCH COOLER HANDLE YOU MIKE MAS. YOU JUST STEPPED IN THE WRONG PILE WHEN SAYING THAT ABOUT RESEARCHING THE TEXACO SIGN, CLAIMING THAT IT IS ORIGINAL !!! I'LL BET MY LEFT LEG YOU DID NOT FIND ANYTHING ABOUT YOUR SIGN !!! THERE'S ONE FROM THE 40's-50's THAT HAS WINGS BUT LIKE LIKE YOUR FLATTEN OUT RUSTY OLD OIL CAN....

I'M DONE, HE HIT FIRST JIM, RYAN : )

blacktee #231696 Mon Feb 07 2011 01:29 PM
Like I said . . .

Do your research before you start crying and accusing - get your facts straight.

Mikemas #231699 Mon Feb 07 2011 01:35 PM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
I'll be right down and do some research ! I'm not crying here smart one. Not dumb enough to buy your sign. Accusing ? Yep I'm accusing you of selling a fake as the day is long. Take me to court and bring your sign with you !!!

Mikemas #231702 Mon Feb 07 2011 01:40 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Mikemas
Hello forum members - this is Mike Mas who runs the eBay store under the user name of "Lacie 51". If I might be direct up front, I've had my store for close to 10 years now and I run a 100% by the book auction on my site. Most every item is "Clearly" marked either: Vintage (old and original items) or Old Style which is a sign that is modern in design.

...so, you're saying every sign on your site that is marked 'vintage' is an old sign, NOT made for the nostalgia/collector market?...that should be easy enough to verify...

I find it troubling for any forum member to make the claim that any of our signs are being sold as original when they are not. Both the Ford sign and the Texaco sign were just won at an auction in NC. I researched both signs prior to the auction, In addition, I have had a number of experts confirm these signs are both original and vintage.

...that's fine - let's hear from those 'experts', and they can make their case...and they'll lose...the Texaco sign, and the Ford signs I mention are not old...at all...

I double assure you I paid a "Real Authentic" price for both of those pieces from the auction house.

...sounds to me like you got 'took'...

What puzzles me, after 30 years of being around this business I still cannot look at a flat image on a screen to determine if a sign is 100% authentic or fake so I wonder how all these "so-called" experts can do it.

...what puzzles me is, how you could be messing with this stuff for 30 years and think that Texaco sign is right...but, to your point: it's a knowledge of fakes that have been produced, methods used to manufacture the originals and how those processes differ from the fakes, and the graphic differences between the two...there were no computers around to set type when that Ford sign would have been used, and yet - all of the type on that sign (except the Ford logo) was set on a computer...the bottom font hadn't even been invented in the 1930's:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optima

...and lastly: WHY would Ford use an 18" x 8" sign like this?...it's TOO SMALL to have been effective as an advertising tool...

Lastly, for the guy who is "Baby Crying" about an image of a showcase pump on my store, that image is being used with the full consent of Mr. Miles Little as a typical pump that Mr. Miles had agreed to allow me to sell for him.

...good for you - I hate to think what Miles would do if you didn't have his permission! And those images of Miles' stuff are cleverly included with the description of your business, leading one to reasonably infer that the pieces are part of your stupendous inventory...

In a period of a few months, RC Media has spent $30,000 to 40,000 with with Little so it's not like I'm taking advantage of anyone.

...well, gosh, that's certainly something to be proud of...but honestly, I've never heard of anyone taking advantage of Miles...

Last edited by gulfiend!; Mon Feb 07 2011 01:55 PM.

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
gulfiend! #231704 Mon Feb 07 2011 01:54 PM
The truth hurts don't it - all your "so-called" facts about my bogus signs and my illegal use of a few images of some pumps and now you're lost for words. Give Miles a call and ask him how many original signs I've bought from him for my store? or are you accusing him as well?

Like I said, please don't accuse me of selling junk on eBay - I run a reputable business, everything is clearly marked.

Get your facts straight . . . .

Thanks!

Last edited by Mikemas; Mon Feb 07 2011 01:55 PM.
Mikemas #231709 Mon Feb 07 2011 02:14 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
or are you accusing him as well?

...this is known as 'deflection'...of course, I'm not accusing Miles of anything, and I honestly can't see how any reasonable person would assume that after reading my post...period...

...again - who are these 'experts'?...PLEASE, have them weigh in on the Texaco and Ford signs...

...those reading this thread can (and will) make up their own minds...

...but I'll go you one further...ANYONE on Oldgas who thinks the Texaco or Ford signs are old, original signs, let them post here with their argument and we'll discuss it...

Last edited by gulfiend!; Mon Feb 07 2011 02:16 PM.

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
gulfiend! #231718 Mon Feb 07 2011 02:32 PM
Deflection? there's no deflection, I just proved you dead wrong on all your so called claims. I can tell by your avatar you like to fight with guys!

Ok, you asked for the experts . . . the experts are the 15 other bidders at the auction who were bidding against me to include the auctioneer, all of which inspected the signs prior to the auction.

Anything else?

Mikemas #231721 Mon Feb 07 2011 02:36 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Deflection? there's no deflection, I just proved you dead wrong on all your so called claims.

REALLY?? LOL

Ok, you asked for the experts . . . the experts are the 15 other bidders at the auction who were bidding against me to include the auctioneer, all of which inspected the signs prior to the auction.

...so...they bid against you, and that makes them 'experts'...hmmm...

Last edited by gulfiend!; Mon Feb 07 2011 02:48 PM.

Mikemas #231769 Mon Feb 07 2011 04:29 PM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
[quote=Mikemas]The truth hurts don't it.

Probably not as much as repeatedly hitting yourself in the forehead with a shovel......

gulfiend! #231844 Mon Feb 07 2011 07:01 PM
One thing is for certain, no one person can figure all this stuff out - have I made mistakes and bought bogus signs thinking they were perfect yes, I think we all have. However I would never intentionally buy and sell a repo sign for a new one. We go out of our way to research our signs and take plenty of clear images and mark all our signs to the best of our knowledge.

I sure didn't get up here to argue with you guys, I just about fell out my chair when I seen my store mentioned in this category. I enjoy this forum and the users knowledge on collectibles. Regretfully, a few guys have forced me to defend our reputation.

Mikemas #231855 Mon Feb 07 2011 07:29 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Been there done that [defend myself].
Been turning da 'puter off, walking away & working on a case of warm beer, figuring that someday the offenders will bite themself in the *** !

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Mikemas, you should take what is being told as constructive critism and change your listings, You are fooling a lot of inexperienced buyers with the tricky wording in your auctions. If you are sincere in running a legit honest business, state that the signs are REPRODUCTIONS, not OLD STYLE or VINTAGE or UNKNOWN when you are well aware they are not Old pieces. That is what this post started as

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
KZ1000 #231913 Mon Feb 07 2011 09:35 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
how much did you pay for that shell sign on ebay mikemas? $250? everyone better hop all over that $1299 price tag on ebay because thats a bargain!!! i cant stand all these people who pull these prices out of a magic hat.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-NEON-SHELL-OIL-COMPANY-EMBOSSED-PORCELAIN-SIGN_W0QQitemZ200566541489QQcategoryZ833QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp5197.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D6933500874332027537

Kyle DeKoning

KZ1000 #231947 Tue Feb 08 2011 06:20 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: KZ1000
Mikemas, you should take what is being told as constructive critism and change your listings, You are fooling a lot of inexperienced buyers with the tricky wording in your auctions. If you are sincere in running a legit honest business, state that the signs are REPRODUCTIONS, not OLD STYLE or VINTAGE or UNKNOWN when you are well aware they are not Old pieces. That is what this post started as

...well said...

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved