Page 1 of 2 1 2
#232529 Thu Feb 10 2011 12:13 PM
J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
As you all know I sell ECO parts.

I just got a phone call that went something like this.

"So and so (who also sells ECO parts) told me to call you, I have a question, I need to know something so I can purchase parts from so and so."

What my response was doesn't matter, but if anyone wants to know what it was, I will post it, I just want to know what your response would have been.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Well, ask so and so your question?

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
my response:

"Hey - that's great...in this economy he's sending customers to me! I'll have to thank him...now, please tell me what your question is, your address, and I'll get you a total. Oh, you don't want to buy anything? Sorry, I'm running a business here - you want The Shell Answer Man, and I don't have his number handy. Please call back when you'd like to buy something."

...click...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Pretty ballsy to call you, ask that you answer questions that your competitor can't. All so the caller can buy items/parts from your competitor.

Like Ryan said, "ask so and so the question". If they don't have the answer and I do, why are you buying items from them?

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Originally Posted By: Ryan Underthun
Well, ask so and so your question?

This has been a growing trend over the years. Buy from the place with the cheapest price, but still expect to get free expert advice and service from the place you didn't buy from.

I saw this happen where I used to work. The company had our current supplier demonstrate a new style MIG welder in our shop. They wound up buying the same welder from a guy who never set foot in our place just to save a few bucks. They never went back to the first guy to see if he would match the price. Then when we had a problem later, they called the first guy for help with diagnosis over the phone. He said to talk to the guy you bought from. :P

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
I would say I charge $5 per minute. Can I have your address So I can send you a bill? Oh yea and by the way BUY MY BOOK!

It is amazing what people do to save a few bucks. I would rather pay a few extra dollars for a quality product- and deal with a person who knows about what they are selling!!!

Last edited by 57tbirdkid; Thu Feb 10 2011 01:10 PM.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This sounds like the New Value Forum!
"I sell everything I get & don't want to over pay for this item"

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
We have people calling all the time asking how to install thier automatic gate. I try to be nice and evasive with their question. I make sure to get their address so I can keep them safe by making sure they have an electrical permit. On the flip side I try not to let money get in the way of morals on my personal dealings. I try to buy localy even if it cost a little more. If I am questioning my something in my business I will call a gate company from a far away town and state and introduce myself and ask them if I can ask a business question.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I know how everyone feels about an instance like this but think for a minute!
There is no reason to be angry or flippant with your response to the individual as this will only cause to alienate him furthur! A brief explanation of the business that you're in(Eco parts) and that you welcome calls from your customers should point him in the right direction but you can also add that you're unable to field questions for the competitor, as you're not on their payroll. Follow that up with a sales pitch on the benefits derived from buying the parts from you and you will have possibly converted a potential customer that will spread the word to others!
Treat the ignorant customer with a little courtesy and you gain his business---treat him like he's the ignorant SOB thats bothering you , and you lose his business and possibly others! JM2C

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I just had a similar experience to Jack's. The customer called and told me that he was missing a part. I checked the old invoices and realized that he had not ordered the part in question.
He insisted that he HAD and explained that he had a CD in his hand that he got from me if he spent a certain amount of money.
I told him that I did not offer that CD and did not have a policy like that! He basically refused to listen... After nearly five minutes on the phone he STILL didn't realize that he had bought parts from two different vendors...
I believe his age MAY have been a factor...

Last edited by Ron Scobie; Thu Feb 10 2011 01:35 PM.

Ron Scobie
http://www.gaspump.com or
rscobie(TheAtSymbol)gaspump.com
Phone - Six five one-653-6503
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
CRS, LOL

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
I guess it depends on how busy I was. If I was extremely busy running a profitable business I probably woulnd't make a whole lot of time.

If I was older and semi retired and had the time, I would probably accomodate him.

Bottom line, anytime the phone rings it's a potential customer, if not now, at least maybe up the road a bit.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...huh...you mean anytime the phone rings it's a potential unsolicited sales call...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I work for a heavy equipment dealership....
When I get those kind of "fishing" calls it goes like so....
Well lets see here.... hmmmnnn o.k. ah here it is.. what you will need to get is part number BR549.
Thanks for calling!
Click
I know kindo' cruel

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...if you really want to have fun with the 'repeat offenders', interrupt them with (in a high-pitched voice):

"DADDY? IS THAT YOU? WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN, DADDY, MOMMY'S CRYING ALL THE TIME...PLEASE COME HOME DADDY!!"

...or give them a pizza/Chinese food order...this works especially well if you have Caller ID and can see that they are just cold calling...you can just pick up and start ordering...

Last edited by gulfiend!; Thu Feb 10 2011 02:02 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved