Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
M
Mark,

I fully understand - however it is not common business practice to reveal our vendors names for competitive reasons. In addition, most sign manufactures do not distribute their products on at retail level. The sign is priced respectably and it is a well made product that should last for years.

Have a great weekend!

Mike,
I agree with you. I wouldnt reveal my source either if I was selling them.

I'm just cheap!
Mark

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This is an exert from a posting on another thread on Oldgas from yesterday, Maybe it will give some insight to the maker.

Now to the general audience has anyone done business with RC Media Collectables. They are the company in Roanoke, VA making the copies of lots of signs. Plenty examples ... seller name lacie52

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Regarding most of our re-issue signs, they are modern signs and they are not dated nor does the manufactures name appear on the sign.

Regarding the date appearing on a sign - I can't think of anyone who wants to see a perfectly good looking sign from the past with a current date showing. Most sign makers don't build signs to combat the thieves who scar up signs and pour acid on them to otherwise age the sign and sell them for old. In addition, having a date on a modern sign is worthless since they can also just chip away the date as well.

Thanks

Incorrect!

I am not the maker of any signs on my site. I'm just another retailer who buys signs all over the country from numerous sign makers and sell them like hundreds of other vendors on eBay.

I am puzzled why there is so much attention regarding these signs. I just returned from the Moultrie, GA show and there were numerous sign vendors there whose sign display booth area was a 1/4 acre of just about every possible sign you could imagine. Not one sign was dated nor did any ID what-so ever appear on the signs. I'm therefore puzzled why is it so important to have the date and maker just on the signs we sell?

Thanks

Originally Posted By: KZ1000
This is an exert from a posting on another thread on Oldgas from yesterday, Maybe it will give some insight to the maker.

Now to the general audience has anyone done business with RC Media Collectables. They are the company in Roanoke, VA making the copies of lots of signs. Plenty examples ... seller name lacie52

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Please, do us all a favor and yourself. Just leave the site. Every time you post, you lose customers and you aren't smart enough to know why.

In this hobby as a whole, we try to collect ORIGINAL items. When we do have to collect a reproduction sign, can, globe etc... We want those items marked as reproductions. That way the repop doesn't lessen the value of the original item.

This concept that you must not comprehend is universal; repop furniture is marked, repop "kit cars" marked, repop art marked...appliances marked ..etc.

You have made it clear by your postings and your advertising, that you could care less about this hobby. And as I said before, thank you! Those who are in the hobby or those thinking about starting, read that your signs are fake. Not the same size as originals... etc.

Since they are fake and unmarked, even more people reading these posts will spend their money elsewhere.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Bob,

I don't have any idea what you're getting at - to make one blanket statement that just because you don't like reproduction signs, that no one else on this forum has the right to like them is unfair and self-serving.

Quick question - does your broad statement pertain to reproductions cover Pump globes and pump accessories as well?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Do a survey yourself on what the membership thinks of unmarked repops and fantasy items. And then tell me, that it was a blanket statement by one person...

You are like a "sore tooth". You don't seem to go away, no matter what one does to alleviate the pain, until one goes to the dentist and has the tooth cared for or pulled.

IMO, you should be pulled from OLDGAS. You aren't here to benefit the hobby or the members. In fact you do everything in your power to lessen the value of our original items and looking at your headers on auction items, you are still using words like "Old style" and "re-issue" to describe your fake signs.

Oh yes, if you read what I wrote. You will see I DID include repop GLOBES,SIGNS, CANS etc....

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm going to take my own advise and consider this subject beaten to death. So no worries, I am through. (on this subject... LOL)

B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Bob, In fairness I understood the topic was started by Mark wanting to know who made the new repop Socony sign so he could buy one cheaper than Mikes price. He wanted one.

I for one cant afford originals and most I see at shows are overpriced with gold price tags. I just looked at T-Ways graphic website for repop globes and decals and you didn’t jump on him? How come? He makes decals that arent marked or dated on his webpages. Plus a glass globe in a frame how can you see any date anyway. I know I cant. Sorry if I opened a can of snakes. Good night.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T-Way's (jim) reproduction globes are marked at the 12:00 postion and you can see them when they are in metal, capco, and glass bodies.
Decals are copies of the orginal pump plates/signs.
back in the day if the pumps used decals and not signs they were water transfer and not vinyl....
As orginals being overpriced at shows maybe you have a lot of learning to do...yes most vendors and dealers of orginal items usually are priced a little on the high side but always have some wiggle room on their asking price. It's up to the potenial buyer to make a counter offer and some times an agreement can be reached....I never saw a buyer come up to the dealer and say...could you go higher? your not asking enough! nor have I ever heard the dealer go up in his asking price while working a deal with the buyer....it's the seller to go down and the buyer to go up on there offer. I know that some dealers overprice their stuff to keep the tire kickers away. The true diehard educated collector will always make an offer and some will just pay the overpriced item because they have deep pockets.
Some dealers have item/items underpriced. everyear at Iowa gas I always manage to buy one or two items that is underpriced. example..bought three items last year (only one at Iowa gas). Globe for $1250...true value $3000, sign for $3000...true value $5000-6500..one for $850, true value was $8000(now that was a home run)..never once did I say, your not asking enough, here's some more money!

As far as reproduction's, they need to be marked!!! The orginal buyer knows their unmarked repop is a repop, but what about the future owners of that same sign?

There are some killer orginal signs that I would love to have but those same signs were reproduced and they were unmarked. Now I won't buy any of those because they maybe repop's and I hate to turn good money into bad money!

The reason I usually don't post on buys of the week is that I don't want my image of my rare item being used as a repop...that would make my rare pricy item drop in value...yes that has happened before... twice on two different signs.had to threaten a lawsuit because I know the family that still holds the copyrights and they were ready to launch a pack of attorneys on them. Production was ceased and and all of the freshly made reproductions were siezed!!!
Making reproductions is a way to protect the collector of orginal items....look what happened to orginal Coca-cola values when they overproduce reprodution items. Prices droped quickly of those orginal items like a paratrooper when his chute failed to deploy....
Mikemas please in the future when you buy your inventory from you suppliers that you would ask for them to mark them or your just hurting our hobby.

nuff said

Paddy
Wanted. Billups, Ride with Rose, Har-V, LORECO, STANOCOLA, Pan Am (early), Hurricane, Evangeline, Canal, Gulf Coast, oil companies.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Most if Not all of T-way's decals are VINYL & Jim does mark his Globes as Does Mike Slama.
I make Copy & Fantasy cans & ALL are dated & have been since I started making them.

Last edited by Dick Bennett; Fri Feb 11 2011 10:22 PM. Reason: Too manyMistakes w/ 1 hand typig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Paddy
Wanted. Billups, Ride with Rose, Har-V, LORECO, STANOCOLA, Pan Am (early), Hurricane, Evangeline, Canal, Gulf Coast, oil companies.
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Mikemas
Regarding the date appearing on a sign - I can't think of anyone who wants to see a perfectly good looking sign from the past with a current date showing.

Umm...failed logic here Mike...it's not a 'good looking sign from the past" It's a brand new sign. Big difference.

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Mikemas
In addition, having a date on a modern sign is worthless since they can also just chip away the date as well.

That's like saying people are going to do drugs anyway so there's nothing wrong with me selling it to them.

If every respectable sign company put their names and dates on signs - then only the thieves who "age" signs would have full reign to sell their signs as originals. You guys don't think for a minute a guy who produces a sign to pass off as an old sign is going to date it do you?

Bottom line - it's not a problem - Sellers like Miles and VC signs, us, and others have sold reproduction signs with no problem for years. Like I said, there is nothing wrong with a guy buying a beautiful sign from the past at an affordable price. Not everyone can afford to spend six grand on a Clipper gas sign.

Originally Posted By: texaspelican

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved