Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If it's not marked then I take it as someone is trying to make a quick buck by decite.

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
s932 #233005 Sat Feb 12 2011 07:20 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I really don't need to post because everyone knows my opinion on reproduction stuff.
I am 100% with Gary on this one! Reproduction items have there place and should be marked!

Someone most likely clicked unmarked to ruff feathers.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
s932 #233006 Sat Feb 12 2011 07:22 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
ALL Reproductions larger than 12" round should be Folded in half and dumped at the scrap metal yards, They are worth more as scrap.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Originally Posted By: Jarvis
I really don't need to post because everyone knows my opinion on reproduction stuff.
I am 100% with Gary on this one! Reproduction items have there place and should be marked!

Someone most likely clicked unmarked to ruff feathers.

Bingo!!

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I do not know if this is spilling over from the other channel but I wish you was more specific in your poll. Are we talking about globes, signs and cans then yes by all means they should be marked. If we are talking about pump parts perhaps casting in the date would be of benefit (not raised but stamped so that there would be a low area if ground out). Something that would be identifiable but discrete enough to be considered just a casting number. Or they could be stamped with a generic coded word - that could be agreed upon by the major reproduction industry leaders which could be deciphered into numbers as was done by Gulf on their products after 1950 - the use of the word SPECIALTYO. Yes I know getting everyone to by into this will not happen if they are dishonest. Just as filling in this area with bondo to cover the stamping or grinding down the embossing. Being discrete is the key word. Just my thoughts. John

If every respectable sign company put their names and dates on signs - then only the thieves who "age" signs would have full reign to sell their signs as originals. You guys don't think for a minute a guy who produces a sign to pass off as an old sign is going to date it do you?

Bottom line - it's not a problem - Sellers like Miles and VC signs, us, and others have sold reproduction signs with no problem for years. Like I said, there is nothing wrong with a guy buying a beautiful sign from the past at an affordable price. Not everyone can afford to spend six grand on a Clipper gas sign.

Regards

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
So if we outlaw unmarked signs only outlaws will sell them? Mike this is a HUGE problem. I have been to many small time auctions and have seen people taken to the cleaners with unmarked repop or fantasy signs. Your products and others like them have a place in the market. Why is it so hard to put a date on what you sell? You may not be deceiving people intentionally but it is happening. Why don't you and the others do something about it and mark them. You are sticking your head in the sand and refusing to admit there is a problem. I guess that's the first step, admitting there is a problem. Once that is done, do something about it.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Similar to talking to a wall

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yes imo repop signs, globes, cans and ad glass should be dated.

Just so I'm clear does this also mean every can that has new lids put in it needs to have RE-LIDDED ON XX-XX-XXXX stamped into the top and/or bottom? Especially if it was filled with oil during the lidding process...is this done to deceive a future buyer into thinking it is a more valuable NOS can?

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I think I have made my thoughts on un-marked reproductions well known.At least it has been a long time since I had to PM Ryan to see if I had "crossed the line"with my comments LOL.I'll be good.

I very strongly object to un-marked repops because they place a restriction on what is available for me to collect.I won't go any further than that.

I'm with Gary and JJ on marked globes and pump plates.I have used them in the past and will do so in the future on outdoor pumps.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Nicole
Do marked reproductions also diminish the value of the rare pieces?

This will ruffle some feathers, but those who are offended by this, are the ones who lack ethics & integrity. So here goes!

Nicole the answer to your question has numerous facets, please allow me to answer to one of those. In my travels I have found two different examples of an easily reproduced decal. To the best of my knowledge, at this point in time, they are the only known examples in existance. One was traded off to another collector who wanted to reproduce it. The deal was made, the decal was reproduced, globes were made, the stuff was marketed & sold. NONE of it was marked as a reproduction or fantasy... Lets pause here, and go to a fantasy scenario. Check out this link, and please read how I found these little jewels...

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=141429#Post141429

Now, lets just change that story a bit, to...... I walked into an old warehouse in Denver, and I found a box of old pump plates. Wrapped in paper, they are HIGHLY desirable amongst collectors. Obviously N.O.S. they are worth a FORTUNE!!!! Offer them on e-bay, then list them here. WOW! The first pair sold for $365.00.... The 20 pairs that I "Found" brought over $1500.00!!! BTW, the definition of Found is: I made up a bunch of plates, installed the $12.00 decals, wrapped them in paper, then tossed them in a stack, and dropped a bit of dirt & dust on them.... Cost of decals $240.00. Cost of plates $240.00. Profit. In excess of $1000.00. Who can tell the difference between the original and a fake? Only myself and the new owner of the original. This is called Lying, Cheating, and Stealing. It happens all the time.

So the question is: How would you feel, if you spent $200.00 of your hard earned dollars, on what you thought was an original? I mean, it wasnt marked...

Lets change that up a bit to... I found these decals, and I'll be reproducing these for those of you who are interested. They will be exact copies of the original, though they will be dated and marked as reproductions. Of course, the picture Pirates will steal the images, reproduce a bunch of copies, and sell them for their own profit. But thats a story for another time. Which is exactly why, I dont allow photographs of some of my stuff.

BTW, I'm certain that the person who now owns the original, had no intentions of deceiving anybody, and this isnt to question his integrity. In fact, a lot of collectors now have a piece of history in their collection. Not true history, but at least an accurate representation of it.

And yes, not only are the Weasel Oil cans dated, but they even come with a certificate of Non-authenticity...

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Marked!!!! Im with Gary on this. It would save alot of ill feelings in the hobby on buying stuff that's original. There is a place in the hobby for repo/fantasy stuff though. I have a repo Polly globe on a pump. If I had a original for it I would give the repo the boot. No dates will make it worse in the future as the next generation inherits collectables and when they go to sell them. My dad has had this sign for 30 years so it must be original..........Just my 2 cents. Chad

Looking for Tydol-Veedol-Flying A items, especially globes.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
MARKED--A lot of fantasy signs and repops are 30 years old by now and they are becoming a big problem because they actually look like an old sign! The new or novice collector hasn't the knowledge or resources to make a quick decision on purchasing the sign he just found, and in the end, he gets burned for some serious cash! MARK EVERYTHING!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I realize the question is "Marked" or "UnMarked".
The problem I see everyone avoiding is, a lot of this stuff is being done in VIOLATION of TRADEMARK protection laws; and Illegal production of items, without proper authorization of the Trademark owners.
Putting a date on it, does not make it legal to produce it.
Chuck

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
While there is a need for fantasy and reproduction items in the hobby they ALL should be dated and marked.
I know there are lens makers that do not date them and tried to flood the marker with cheap but sometimes good lens. I buy globes, cans and signs and some times pay alot for them. I usually do not show them as they will soon end up on a button, magnet or another piece of glass.
I posted a comment on the other channel saying that Jim Treadway who makes some great stuff does date his lens and my comment was quickly deleted. Just like the press in a communist country.
All because that site promotes unmarked and undated globes.
I lost alot of the respect I had for that site and have now walked away from it.
I , along with most of you have a lot of money and time in our collections and to have some one to reproduce the items and devalue what we have is just WRONG.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved