Oh heck, I type too slow

IDIOT

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
texaspelican,

Sorry to contradict you, but I see some of T-Ways globes marked, but some arent? So therefore I dont and wouldn’t buy any globes that are priced over $100. Simple. The vinyl decals I looked at arent marked or dated that I can see, and decals whether vinyl or water can be put on anything...metal, wood etc.

FWIW only, My opinion, I saw one Big Gulf only collector member here ebaying Tshirts a while back with Gas & Oil logos he printed on them. Another sells & makes S&P shakers. Dick makes Oil Cans. Sorry, but I see no benefit to the hobby in those items myself other than money profit...even if they are marked. It is easy to talk the talk and then criticize others..

What few original signs I have look even better hanging next to a cheap repop or two as they fill up the garage until I can afford to buy more originals. If I doubt what I am buying or it is pricy then I don’t buy it. Simple. Like some I see here, not everyone, I am not trying to buy, hoard up and acquire all the signs I can, hoping to be on an American Pickers show or to make a big profit selling them at auction or gasshows later on. I suggest buying Gold instead.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Someone said it before;
There are Collectors who collect OLD signs, and there are Decorators who will hang any thing on the walls.
There is a BIG difference;
You buy Gold to hope to make a profit someday.
You buy Original OLD signs to enjoy and hope to get your money back someday.
You buy Repro signs for $100. and try to get .50 cents at a future Tag Sale someday.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: KZ1000
You buy Repro signs for $100. and try to get .50 cents at a future Tag Sale someday.

Sad thing is, I've been to some auctions recently where unsuspecting bidders were running up the prices on some repop stuff.

About two weeks ago I was at one to check out a Pam clock I thought might be good to own. It turned out to be an unmarked repop lens on a cleaned up Pam body. I did my homework and got ahold of Wayne's clocks before I went and had him tell me what to look for. (I've done business with him so it wasn't a freebie deal in case you're wondering)

At this auction I overheard a couple talking about the clock and how high they might bid. I pulled the guy aside and explained the fact it was a repop. The guy was thankful and we spent considerable time talking. Turns out he recently bought a couple abandoned gas stations in southern Ohio and he gave me his card to call him about some items. Sometimes a good deal does get rewarded.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bud:

Sorry to contradict YOU - but EVERY lens I make has my company name and the currrent year date of issue on it. No exceptions.

Just because you can't see all of them on the photos on my site doesn't mean they are not there.

In the future, if you plan on making 'factual' statements on my business pratices, have the common courtesy to call me first and get your facts straight.

On the other hand, almost none of my vinyl decals (the only kind I produce) are dated. I used to do this, but the pump restorers did not like the dates on the decals - so I stopped. Since (as Dick mentioned) vinyl was NOT a product used 'back in the day', any person looking to purchase a restored pump should know that the decals are reproductions.

That beind said, any decals I make for someone that could be used to confuse the age of an item ARE dated. This includes - but is not limited to - any decals I do for clock faces, oil rack decals, and that sort of thing.

I do have plans on reproducing some porcelain/silkscreened signs in the future - and every one of those will be dated. To me, that is just the responsible thing to do for others in this hobby.

Later . . .

Jim

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Jim,
Your stuff is always done right and first class all the way.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
yep!!all my decals have been dated!

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
A
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A
I dont care what anyone does to make a living, to a point. I am just surprised you guys let him advertise for free on here ! !
Can I ? smile

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved