Print Thread
#233126 Sat Feb 12 2011 03:44 PM
B
BIGTOM Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
It is a Tokheim 630 and the base is crack free as is the other heavy part that the glass cylinder sits on. The old boy still had the original rods that held the top onto the glass cylinder, but the're not useable. the panels are pretty solid, but pitted and rusty. Here are my questions that I have off the top of my head (more will surely come later):

1. Will the bonnet from all 600 series fit on top of this pump? I have a line on a bonnet and gallon markers, but I want to make sure they will fit before I drop the dough.

2. I have found a fabricator here in SA - if he is able to fabricate the panels, will that diminish the value? I was thinking about redoing the panels because of the extensive pitting and a few dents etc as I thought in the long run it would be cheaper.

3. The pump handle is broken off, is that an issue? I imagine they are heavier than heck, so the shipping would probably kill me. I had plans on rebuilding the pump (just so a guy could work it back and forth - not for actual use), but that missing handle is a pain in the backside.

4. I've heard about over-restoring these pumps can be overkill (polishing all the metals etc) is this accurate?

As usual, thanks in advance for any and all advice - I am pretty ramped right now and I cant wait for the fabricator guy to start the media blasting.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Tom--
1--Not sure on the bonnett
2--New skins do not usually devalue a pump. If restoring it, will probably increase the final value.
3--Lack of a handle, detracts from the appearance
4--Its your pump and the finished product has to be pleasing to YOU! Over restored pumps can be a little gawdy in some instances, but show quality pumps done tastefully, are pretty neat. There are a lot of purists that will tell you to leave it alone as the real beauty is in the aged relic! Personally, I find beauty in both worlds and have examples of both in my shop! In the end, YOU are the person that will be looking at it the most and it needs to please you every time you look at it, soooooo, its up to you my friend.

Be sure to take before and after pictures! We expect pictures from the members here!!----KEVIN

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
"3--Lack of a handle, detracts from the appearance"
Not on his pump as the handle is stored inside behind a door.
Check w/ Ryan & Tbuckles for a Tok 620 handle. Scobie might have a re-cast, but will need to be machined.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved